skin changes when running anyone?

Treatments, Rehabilitation, and Recovery
eweinstein

skin changes when running anyone?

Post by eweinstein »

Hi everyone,

My daughter, 16, is running harder now - training for her first 5k. I noticed the arm with the brachial plexus injury is much more red and warm in the area that she has sensation. It is really noticeable compared to the other side. Is this normal? I know many of you run marathons - have you noticed this as well?
MW
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LTBPI, Feb 2009, hit by truck while on a run. Free muscle transfer at Mayo Clinic 6 months later.

Re: skin changes when running anyone?

Post by MW »

I run and bike a lot, but I can't say I've seen this effect. That being said, I don't have a lot of sensation anywhere on my injured arm, so I might not see this. Great to hear she's going for a 5K!

MW
jmar
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: brachial plexus stretch during thoracic outlet syndrome surgery on may 18, 2010.

Post by jmar »

i seen someone post the other day either here or on facebook, that his injured arm was hot and he looked at it and it had a splinter or cut or something that was infected. with no sensation, he did not know he had a splinter or cut or whatever it was. so you might want to check and make sure she has not got an infection. i was actually told by my family dr the other day to check my hand and arm ferequently to be sure it is a normal temp. if it is hot, call him.
Carolyn J
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI. I am 77 yrs old and never had a name for my injuries until 2004 when I found UBPN at age 66.

My injuries are: LOBPI on upper body and Cerebrael Palsy on the lower left extremities. The only intervention I've had is a tendon transplant from my left leg to my left foot to enable flexing t age 24 in 1962. Before that, my foot would freeze without notice on the side when wearing heels AND I always did wear them at work "to fit in" I also stuttered until around age 18-19...just outgrew it...no therapy for it. Also suffered from very very low self esteem; severe Depression and Anxiety attacks started at menopause. I stuffed emotions and over-compensated in every thing I did to "fit in" and be "invisible". My injuries were Never addressed or talked about until age 66. I am a late bloomer!!!!!

I welcome any and all questions about "My Journey".
There is NO SUCH THING AS A DUMB QUESTION.
Sharing helps to Heal. HUGS do too.

Post by Carolyn J »

IT is a known ,and shared here on Our OBPI Forums, fact that our BPI Limbs sunburn exceptionally fast and otherw2ise are more sensitive than our "good"/uninjured limbs to hot and cold. Perhaps Traumatic Injured are the same. BTW, everyone are welcome on ALL public Forums.
Carolyn J
LOBPI/74
Master DIVER TOM

Post by Master DIVER TOM »

This is a great ???, ;)
My birth erbs has given me issues that include , my arm and hand turn very red when over heated to purple in freezing cold from driving a semi around Chicago for years with my erbs arm and hand. In the summer Trailers are like ovens and I spent hours loading and unloading loads in Chicago winters basically one handed :shock:
I guess you gain pain tolerance over time?? :roll: But I have abused my erbs all my life :shock: We move past or limitations by becoming creative and adapting , I see so many post like that. I guess the only option is to learn to endure the pain over time to move forward in adapting in our trys in-spite of our pain and limitation were left with :roll: By focus in our trys I have learn its a good way to be less depress, but for me I have injured by wounds , burns , etc. I think it just happen by the post I have read to :roll:

I thought I would share :roll: I guess ??? If you have a blood flow issue it really does not matter when the injury happen, I wonder :roll:
Anyway, When my arm and hand get over heated I use Ice packs on my wrist and shoulder when I got home from driving ;) If this happen when I was loading a trailer at a stop , I would turn on the cold water on in the restroom and cool down my arm by putting the cold water on my wrist ;) If my arm was Frozen, warm water help and heating pads when I got home ;) I should say that what I did was extreme ,But so is running distance I think ;) Or other extremes we do in a activity ;)

Maybe Dan, can add a Pocket on a sling for a cold pack??? , That would be pretty cool when running??? :roll: :shock:

We always wonder what may help here by our post , when these injuries very so much and when the injury happens ??
Best Trys,
Tom
Sessie
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Brachial Plexus injury

Post by Sessie »

Hi There, I have a 5 month old daughter with a BP injury. I have noticed the area which is affected goes redder and the skin looks goose pimpled a lot. I have been wondering about this.
Carolyn J
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI. I am 77 yrs old and never had a name for my injuries until 2004 when I found UBPN at age 66.

My injuries are: LOBPI on upper body and Cerebrael Palsy on the lower left extremities. The only intervention I've had is a tendon transplant from my left leg to my left foot to enable flexing t age 24 in 1962. Before that, my foot would freeze without notice on the side when wearing heels AND I always did wear them at work "to fit in" I also stuttered until around age 18-19...just outgrew it...no therapy for it. Also suffered from very very low self esteem; severe Depression and Anxiety attacks started at menopause. I stuffed emotions and over-compensated in every thing I did to "fit in" and be "invisible". My injuries were Never addressed or talked about until age 66. I am a late bloomer!!!!!

I welcome any and all questions about "My Journey".
There is NO SUCH THING AS A DUMB QUESTION.
Sharing helps to Heal. HUGS do too.

Post by Carolyn J »

We Adults have posted about these skin sensitivities for us "BPI-ers and All are "very common" to us.
There are more posts on the "Adult & Brachial Plexus Foun/messasge Boards. Everyone are welcome on any message/forum board.
Carolyn J
LOBPI/74

Last bumped by Anonymous on Thu May 29, 2014 4:20 am.