Is this forever?

Treatments, Rehabilitation, and Recovery
wafloodzone

Re: Is this forever?

Post by wafloodzone »

His name is Dr Michael Kliot. 206-598-5637, Good luck to you. :)
suzannesteam
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: My now 18 year old son had a TBPI in a football game 1 Sep 2010 with his right arm at age 17. His C5-T1 are avulsed. Since then, he's had two surgeries at the Mayo Clinic. First one was left gracilis to right arm (2/11) and spinal accessory nerve transfer. Second one was right gracilis to right arm and transfer of 5 intercostal nerves (4/11). As of now, he has elbow flexion across his chest and slight finger movement/control).

Post by suzannesteam »

My 17 year old son was injured in a football accident 1 Sep 2010; his C5, C6, C7, C8 & T1 all completely avulsed. Double Free Muscle Transfer to right arm performed by Mayo doctors, Dr. Spinner; Dr. Shin; Dr. Bishop on 16 February 2011 and 25 April 2011. At four months out, he had elbow flexion (we were originally told 18 months before any movement); at six months, he has wrist flexion and some finger flexion (original timeline was 36 months and no wrist flexion). At his 6 month check up, the doctors were floored by his capability. The plan now is to wait til next June 2012 to see what else is going to come back.

The doctors feel that Ryan's amazing outlook on his "situation" is what's contributing to his success. You ask if this is forever, some of it is unfortuately, but I can not impress enough how critical it is to have a great mental attitude, having the right doctors and accepting the new normal. It will also help you to educate your family and friends so they can fully understand the scope of this injury and that it's not going away.

Ryan is finding unique ways to do things and with the UBPN family, there is alot of support here. Continue to post your questions and comments, it is an outlet even for me. I have made some very good friendships here and I am very thankful for that. Good luck and keep looking forward.
Carolyn J
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI. I am 77 yrs old and never had a name for my injuries until 2004 when I found UBPN at age 66.

My injuries are: LOBPI on upper body and Cerebrael Palsy on the lower left extremities. The only intervention I've had is a tendon transplant from my left leg to my left foot to enable flexing t age 24 in 1962. Before that, my foot would freeze without notice on the side when wearing heels AND I always did wear them at work "to fit in" I also stuttered until around age 18-19...just outgrew it...no therapy for it. Also suffered from very very low self esteem; severe Depression and Anxiety attacks started at menopause. I stuffed emotions and over-compensated in every thing I did to "fit in" and be "invisible". My injuries were Never addressed or talked about until age 66. I am a late bloomer!!!!!

I welcome any and all questions about "My Journey".
There is NO SUCH THING AS A DUMB QUESTION.
Sharing helps to Heal. HUGS do too.

Post by Carolyn J »

Thank You,wafloodzone.
Carolyn J
LOBPI 73+
djk
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: extensive right side brachial plexus injury as a result of a motorcycle accident on 8/25/10.

Post by djk »

hi lisa,
i like that question. i've learned that the answer is individualistic. it seems to be a matter of degree of the specific injury. each of us here has similar yet very different injuries. the past year has been the most interesting, painful, challenging, creative,learning experience of my life. what i have come to accept is, yes, my loss of some function i had become so used to is gone, forever. i suspect the pain issues i live with will be lifelong, hopefully becoming no bigger problem than they are now. but, thing is, i'm still here. i'm able to do most of what i did before. of course there is a very difficult transitional period that everyone goes through. i think you should allow yourself to feel all the emotions that any human in this type situation probably would feel. finding the right medicines, proper diet, therapy of all types, and getting the exercise you need are important. it's a stew. over time your life will gel back to what you want. good luck. it is going to take a lot of work. it is not easy. but it is worth it. my advice? give it your best shot. doug
wafloodzone

Post by wafloodzone »

Dr Kliot at UW.He is leaving at the end of November and moving to San Francisco. If I continue with UW I will be placed in the care of Dr Allen Hebb. Phone: 206-543-2340. Good luck. I am headed to the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, MI to see what they can do. I;ve heard good things about them.

Last bumped by Anonymous on Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:10 pm.