Surgery at Mayo on 3/11

Treatments, Rehabilitation, and Recovery
raisab

Surgery at Mayo on 3/11

Post by raisab »

My son Robbie had surgery at Mayo this past Thursday. We just arrived home. He had complete paralysis of the hand and fingers. I do not remember the exact muscles they used for every procedure but I will summarize.
To give him a grip they used the bicep with a donor tendon. To give him thumb to pointer pinch they used one of three wrist flexors. They also fused his thumb. To give him pinkie to thumb pinch they used another lower wrist muscle which I don't remember. He is in a soft cast at the moment and receives a hard cast late next week. We will travel back to Mayo for that. He has another return visit at 6 weeks in order to start therapy. He will probably have another surgery a couple of months after that to give him finger flexion and to prevent claw hand.
He is in a bit of pain and uncomfortable but thinks he may have felt some twitching movement in his fingers and definitely in his thumb! His surgery was performed by Drs Shin and Bishop. I cannot say enough good things about The Mayo! They are so well run and patient friendly! The doctors remember you and treat you as an equal.These physicians are incredible! If any of you are thinking of going there, don't hesitate! If anyone can do anything this team can!
We won't know for a while how successful the surgery turned out but I will post on that. :D
raisab

Re: Surgery at Mayo on 3/11

Post by raisab »

We are back at Mayo to have a cast change and x-ray tomorrow with Dr. Shin. Son has felt movement in fingers and thumb, absolutely no pain. Four more weeks of hard cast and then PT to retrain muscles! Next surgery in July! These physicians are miracle workers!
Mica

Re: Surgery at Mayo on 3/11

Post by Mica »

I wish your son great success with this surgery!!!!! As a mom, I know how hard it is to watch our kids struggle - and also how on top of the world we feel when they get something back this injury took away. We'll be praying for your family to continue the great recovery! :)

Last bumped by Anonymous on Tue May 27, 2014 4:58 pm.