I'm New Here

Treatments, Rehabilitation, and Recovery
Christopher
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Date of Injury: 12/15/02

Level of Injury:
-dominant side C5, C6, & C7 avulsed. C8 & T1 stretched & crushed

BPI Related Surgeries:
-2 Intercostal nerves grafted to Biceps muscle,
-Free-Gracilis muscle transfer to Biceps Region innervated with 2 Intercostal nerves grafts.
-2 Sural nerves harvested from both Calves for nerve grafting.
-Partial Ulnar nerve grafted to Long Triceps.
-Uninjured C7 Hemi-Contralateral cross-over to Deltoid muscle.
-Wrist flexor tendon transfer to middle, ring, & pinky finger extensors.

Surgical medical facility:
Brachial Plexus Clinic at The Mayo Clinic, Rochester MN
(all surgeries successful)

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are."
~Theodore Roosevelt

Re: I'm New Here

Post by Christopher »

Shane,
Great words of true support. Thank you! You clearly have stared down the struggled face to face, eye to eye.

I'll take every ounce of inspiration that comes my way, so thank you again.

Your conviction made me think of the deservedly famous jazz guitarist Django Reinhardt. At 19 he suffered a severe burn to his left hand and leg. Doctors suggested amputation. He escaped the hospital limbs intact and conviction well tempered, and became one of the most popular guitar players of his time, playing mostly with two fingers, his index and middle. Amazing. I learned this after my TBPI and was shocked, because I grew up listening to his music and could never imagine he suffered a handicap because it sounds like he's got 3 to 4 hands at times.

Take a look and listen: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-iJ7bs4mTUY

Chris
Master DIVER TOM

Post by Master DIVER TOM »

You are welcome, Overcome what you can do and dont dwell on what you cant. To me it work all my life and was far better for emotional issues??

Best Trys,

Tom
Master DIVER TOM

Post by Master DIVER TOM »

Well there is adapting and overcoming the erbs. But in your life time you will create things to. That may and may not work??

Shane , If you can still move your arm to strom movement than try this fix for your hand? Put a rubber glove on and pinch the form of the glove to how you want to hold it with your finger hold and glue a pick in how you want to hold it. I know I had to get creative with things to try to find ways to overcome the erbs .

Best Trys,

Tom