bruising

Treatments, Rehabilitation, and Recovery
minniem

Re: bruising

Post by minniem »

shaun

I do get the bruising and its because I hit the poor thing without realizing I do it but there is also times I see it happen and go well that would have hurt. Revolving doors like to try and eat my poor arm too. LOL My TBPI is left so I also have to watch it when I shut the car door especially being short because it tends to fall out when I reach out with the left to shut the car door and the door always gets it too. LOL

Other thing is cutting it, knicking it, scrapping etc. I always have band aids handy. If there is ever blood present and known reason then its time to check the arm.

I can laugh now but in the beginning it was a point of frustration. You have to be careful though because you can injure the arm and not realize it.

Hope this helps

minnie
shaunnb

Post by shaunnb »

haha.. minnie..

yeh i do the same thing with walking into doorways.. or getting in the car..
just seems the bruises are huge, purple and ugly...

cheers

shaun
Its1105
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: RTBPI - injured during a right cervical rib resection on 12/3/2008 for thoracic outlet syndrome. The doctor completely transected the lateral cord at C5-C6 Erb's pointe and the suprascapular nerve. Had a nerve repair done on 12/12/2008 to reattach the nerves. Did two years of OT. I have some issues with overuse issues with my left shoulder and also have come to find that my joints are hypermobile so I have instability in the joints which causes a lot of problems such as pressure and pain.

Post by Its1105 »

I haven't really noticed any unusual bruising. Just some spots here and there occasionally or a scrape or two from my hitting my upper arm and not realizing it. I generally am a bit protective of my arm though as it can go crazy and hurt with the slightest touch in some areas.

I would suggest you talk to your doctor about the bruising though. It could be other problems related to the circulation or something that you might want to get double checked by someone who is trained. Large bruises with no known origin seem odd - better to be safe and check it out.
--
Marie
RTBPI December 2008
C5-C6
swhite1
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Bad fall in June of 2006
LTBPI

Post by swhite1 »

"I do get the bruising and its because I hit the poor thing without realizing I do it but there is also times I see it happen and go well that would have hurt."
That is so funny.
I too get whacked and I wear my brace still. Yea, I know it's been 3 years. What can I say? It keeps it up and out of the way. My bruising and scratches and all occur on my upper arm because of the brace. I still feel unbalanced most of the time. I'm always leaning in when I should be leaning out...or visa versa?
Good to hear from you mate!
Scott
Janet Lee

Post by Janet Lee »

I've noticed I get bruises when I have my elbow resting on something for too long. besides taht, not really. Going back to the comment about thinking something should hurt. I effected my ulner nerve which is causing my pinky to be numb. I shut my pinky in my locker door while school was still in session and was amazing that it didnt hurt. It looked like it should have but I couldnt tell! I guess there's always a positive side to everything, right?
Mardelle

Post by Mardelle »

Hi Shaun...
I do not have this problem today. But I do recall in the beginning. My arm was like rubber. If wasn't in a sling, it was looking for trouble. I caught it drawers, doors, banged it numerous times, had 3rd degree kettle burns, you name it. It took a long time to condition my brain to accept that I needed to care for this limb like a baby. I stretched my fingers daily to keep the flexers,wrist. Double wrapped it in Winter to avoid frost bite...and so on...so maybe a sling after 12:00PM is a thought...I have the sun downers syndrome...just like the old folks since I had this injury. By 4:00PM I'm done. My pain level is a 9-10 level...I need tylenol arthritis and I am tired and cranky :) more prone to accidents at that time.
Hope some of my stuff helps you...

With Peace, Love & Light
Mardelle
shaunnb

Post by shaunnb »

thaks for ur replies ;)

it has been bit better as of late..been wearing my neoprene shoulder brace, which i think not only protects it a little, as well as keeping it warm.. dont how to tell you how much or a relief that is :)

yeh i definitely get cranky when my meds arent in effect :s

guess babying it is the only real preventative...
shaunnb

bruising

Post by shaunnb »

Hey guys and girls...
hope you are all well..
just a quick question..
do you all get more bruising on your affected arm?
i noticed i have been getting huge ones...and am unsure of the cause.
god bless
shaun

Last bumped by Anonymous on Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:15 am.