Joel

Re: Athletic Arm Sling

Post by Joel »

I have a few pics of me in the sling. Here's one

http://picasaweb.google.com/joel.rosinb ... 4959723010
s8n

Post by s8n »

still waiting on mine but i'm really excited. sorry for buggin ya so much dan i just can't wait lol
daniel
trimommy

Post by trimommy »

I was one of the lucky ones to get one of Dan's first slings. I can't tell you how pleased i am with it. I have done 2 - 1/2 marathons so far and my arm doesnt move...it is amazing. I will be participating in the New York City Triathlon this weekend, thanks to the sling. My first race since my accident which happens to be exactly 1 year ago on monday! The fact that i am able to get it on by myself and pretty quickly is very important since i dont want to lose anymore tome in transition. I also love the fact that i can stick a few packs uf Gu or shot bloks and a little water bottle in there for my long runs!!!! Before this i tried everything and it was hopeless..arm moved too much. Dan, your sling made a huge difference in my life! Being active keeps me going so i dont focus on the pain!

I will send a photo or 2 after the race!

Thanks
Robin
Joel

Post by Joel »

Hey Robin,

How did you get your bike set up? I'd love to see what you figured out.

Cheers,
Joel
trimommy

Post by trimommy »

Hey Joel!
im using regular road bars, you know, drops. i have my aero bars on but am unable to move back and forth yet. i switched the brakes so my rear is on left. have ok strength to shift with my right hand. After 3 hours i get a little tired and my hand gets sore. My left thumb starts to give out at that point as well (had that one rebuilt too) I took a few spills at first..one pretty bad, but now i feel good. hitting the hills a lot better. I did put a 12/27 on the back to give me the extra gear for climbing. i cant stand up and it is pretty hill where i live. i have some pics i can send. A little nervous about NY, there are about 2000 athletes!!! so far everyone i ride with is cautious not to get ontop of me or cut me off...need to be wary of that in NY. Jason is up in Portland training for Ultraman!! is that anywere near you? if so, you should try to hook up. Have you been on the bike much? sling is awesome isnt it?
s8n

Post by s8n »

for all of you with a full flail arm you have to get one of these.it's no lie it will change the way you see yourself. it makes you have better posture and movement. it's the best decision that i and my family have made. you must get 100 dollars plus shipping together and get one. i'll make the promise that you will feel different the first time you put that baby on.
thanx dan you have changed my outlook on life i owe ya one lol i don't know how i can repay you for this but i owe you one.
again thanx,
daniel
cassandra

Post by cassandra »

Hey everyone....can someone fill me in on this sling? it sounds like it could help my husband..he has an awful time with the "sling" he wears right now and we are looking to try something new....thanks...
Dan
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Injured 5/11/86, had just turned 18 yrs old
Evulsed C5-T1
Intercostal into Bicep 10/86

Post by Dan »

Hi Cassandra,

Do you have specific questions about the sling? If you want, you can e-mail me, or just ask, I am sure the people who already have them could do a better job than me in answering how they are using the sling. I am only one person and I think there are 10 who have one now so you should get a more diverse response. Also, I originally made it for people to be athletic, but I know there are a few that are using it for everyday use.

What does your husband want to use the sling for or how is currently using the one he has now?

Dan
s8n

Post by s8n »

well i just got one and i use mine for general purpose. it is wonderful.keeps me from slamming hand in drawers,cutting myself,and my posture when wearing it is much better. i can't say enough about dan's sling. it is well worth what i paid for it and has improved my way of living ten fold. i deffinately recommend anyone that has full flail arm to get one of these. if your like me it is the closest to amputation you can get without jumping off that bridge if ya know what i mean.
daniel
cassandra

Post by cassandra »

thanks for getting back to me so quickly...my husband is very active and we both go to the gym and work out so we are always looking for a better sling for him. we also have a 10 month old and he loves to pick her up and trying to get her off of the floor with an arm that you can't control is hard and it throws off his balance. could you email me some pics of the sling and pricing info? i would greatly appreciate that...thanks