gadgets your parents used for you as kids?

Treatments, Rehabilitation, and Recovery
christy

gadgets your parents used for you as kids?

Post by christy »

Hi everyone! Just browsing and saw your posts about gadgets and was wondering if you would care to recall some things your parents (and yourselves too) used as kids to help things out?

Seems like we have been teaching her OT the stuff up until now and I don't think her "magic coat" crap is going to work for katie and I am going to have to do this by myself too. Oh well, at least her mommie is motivated to be a therapist now...sure will cut down on the medical bills (but the student loans are awful. Darned if you do and darned if you don't.LOL

Thanks

Christy
Kathleen

Re: gadgets your parents used for you as kids?

Post by Kathleen »

Hi Christy

My Mom used my bike turned upside down for arm exercise and I thought it was fun. I had to push the peddles for a good stretch and she attached playing cards to the wheel with clothespins so the spokes made noise. I had to see how fast I could peddle great for coordinating the arms to move and stretch.( ops it was a tricycle.)
We had a pole between two rooms (it was like a thick curtain rod) and they use to play hang the baby. Someone would put me up to hang on the bar to see how long I could stay there.This was for a good stretch.
I had to hang clothes out on a line using the bpi hand to put clothespin's on and then stretch the arm to push the line out. The line was hung between the house and a pole in the backyard)
I played with clay constantly rolling it and making things out of it. I still play with clay LOL... I learned to jump rope early so that I was turning the jump rope over my head. Also lots of housework can be done using the bpi arm. We used a window cleaner that was a white cream and I could draw pictures in it with bpi hand. (it was called glass wax then)
Kath