Question on Tap Test?

Treatments, Rehabilitation, and Recovery
jennyb
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: January 1980 Yamaha RD200 vs 16 wheeler truck, result, 1 totally paralysed right arm. I was 21, now 54. I had no surgery, I don't regret this. Decided to totally ignore limitations (easily done aged 21) adapted very quickly to one handed life, got married, had 3 kids, worked- the effect of the injury on my life (once the pain stopped being constant) was minimal and now, aged 54, I very rarely even think of it, unless I bash it or it gets cold, then I wish I'd had it amputated :) Except for a steering knob on my car, I have no adaptations to help with life, mainly because I honestly don't think of myself as disabled and the only thing I can't do is peel potatoes, which is definitely a good thing.

Re: Question on Tap Test?

Post by jennyb »

The test is looking for Tinel's sign, where tingling or similar can be detected from the site of the injury down the nerve after tapping. I would hesitate to give instructions how to do it or interpret anything that happens because I'm not a doctor. The tingling sounds hopeful, see if you can get a doctor to explain Tinel's sign and whether your sensations are from regeneration. Here's one site with a brief explanation but there are lots http://www.whonamedit.com/synd.cfm/1563.html

Here's hoping :0) Jen NZ
Judy-T
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Right arm OBPI One surgery at age 40 Ulnar nerve retransposition

Post by Judy-T »

Jenny,
I love the site you posted. Thanks.....
Dave m

Post by Dave m »

My nerve surgeon did this test on my arm. He thought that where i was getting the most tingling sensations from (just below the elbow) was where there was some nerve regeneration going on. If i tap my arm now years later it still gives the sensations but not as strongly. Traumatised nerves do tingle when they are tapped, what does your surgeon say about it?
DEAN

Post by DEAN »

thanks for the reply, i have to go back to my sergeon on the 10th October so i will ask him about it then.I also have emg tests on the same day so i will find out more then.
binoj_a26

Post by binoj_a26 »

I am an LTBPI since Nov'04. I was operated in Dec'04 and this included neurotozation of Musculocutaneous with Spinal Accessory and Suprascapular with Phrenic.

During the monthly visits to my Doc, he used to tap an inch or two from the junction of neck n shoulder and ask If i felt any Shock sensation.

Very recently, I tried doing it on my own and I do feel the shock emanating from the point of tap till my elbow. From elbow down below it is a faint feeling.
I dont know whether to take this as a positive sign of nerve re-generation. I will be checking with my Doc in a week or two to get this confirmed.

Thanks.
DEAN

Question on Tap Test?

Post by DEAN »

Hello all, Ive heard a bit about a tap test you can do on yourself to find out how far the nerve has regenerated.Does anyone have any info on this, it would be greatly appreciated.Ive got tingles in different areas of the arm and shoulder when i rub it but thats all.
DEAN.

Last bumped by Anonymous on Wed May 28, 2014 10:22 pm.