Pain with OBPI

This board is for adults and teens to discuss issues relating to BPI since birth (OBPI).
patpxc
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: C-5 and C-6. Unable to supinate. Contracture elbow. Wrist bone underdeveloped.
Can raise forearm to mouth level. shoulder is limited in movement. Unable to put arm behind back. Secondary- early arthritis, carpal tunnel, pronator syndrome,scoliosis

Re: Pain with OBPI ? sleeping when a baby

Post by patpxc »

Louise,
My feet and legs have hurt all my life. When I was 16 I was a nurses aide and I remember getting on my knees to make beds because my back would hurt almost to the point of paralysis and ache like crazy.Never thought of it as OBPI related but I'll bet it is. To this day if I walk a lot my legs and back almost stop working. It's like a painful numb--can't explain it. Has anyone else had this? Pat
Kathleen

Post by Kathleen »

Pat & Lyn

My right leg goes numb and cold. I never thought of bpi relationship. If I bend the wrong way it feels like I am numb from the waist down almost as if that part has been cut off. If I lay on my stomach it feel like I am cut in half. I wondered why and as usual just assumed it was normal and everyone had this problem. I Never even considered it might be from bpi... I have alway had this even very young.
Kath
patpxc
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: C-5 and C-6. Unable to supinate. Contracture elbow. Wrist bone underdeveloped.
Can raise forearm to mouth level. shoulder is limited in movement. Unable to put arm behind back. Secondary- early arthritis, carpal tunnel, pronator syndrome,scoliosis

Post by patpxc »

Have you ever gone shopping and had to pull on your pantleg to get your leg into the car? It has to be the Erb's or we wouldn't all have the same thing. Could it be form being uneven and maybe having a slightly unbalanced weight on each side? Seems like walking uneven would throw the whole spinal column out of whack. Pat
Kathleen

Post by Kathleen »

Lyn
That is very interesting. It makes sense and helps explain some things.
I have posted that my Mom spent a lot of time trying to teach arm swing and balance. I walked with book on my head. I was told to put my heel forward first .... heel and toe ... heel and toe... wonder if that is what she was working on...

I see in old photos my right shoulder so sloped and my arm hanging and again now that I know what I am looking at my entire body is so out of balance and I was about three... still not much movement yet... in my arm hand...
I walk a lot but no matter how old or new the sneakers I get blisters on the bottom of my feet...
marymom
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Teen aged home birthed son with OBPI

Re: Pain with OBPI

Post by marymom »

regular chiropractic adjustments help with the imbalances caused by compensatory movements and other daily stresses - particularly if done regularly from birth, chiropractic adjustments could have a large effect on pain in some individuals-
I observed what I believe to have been pain in my son when he was a newborn which,once again,I believe..., dissapated over the first few months of his life- He appears to have no BPI associated pain at this time - not sure if you were asking about that...
Janny-scotland

Re: Pain with OBPI

Post by Janny-scotland »

Hi all,
Its still really weird for me reading all your comments and being able to identify with you all.As many of you know, i was born with Erbs 29 years ago and only found out in September that its not only me who has it.
For me ,because i have asthma (as many of us do i believe), i cant take painkillers.They gave me morphine tablets which just made me doo-lally (feel like i was on another planet!)so i dont bother with them.Ive just learned to cope with the pain and try my best to forget about it...which is ok until i hurt another part of my body..stub my toe or something equally as daft...then all hell breaks loose!!!
It seems i can deal with the shoulder pain but something trivial hurts like mad.
I hope someone out there understands what i mean coz its hard to explain!!
By the way, are any of you in the UK?
Take care,
Janny