Driving knob

This board is for adults and teens to discuss issues relating to BPI since birth (OBPI).
LeeAnneB

Driving knob

Post by LeeAnneB »

Hi,all. I posted on the general board but thought would try here too. Michaela just got her driver permit but we were told she needs a knob for the steering wheel since she doesnt have enough grip in her hand or enough movement in her arm to turn the steering wheel with both hands. I know we all drive onehanded but I am concerned about sharp and fast turns. Can any of you suggest what has been best purchase for you? I was told to get a clamp oon at an auto parts store. I did find one online with buttons for lights and signals and wipers. I just want to teach her safely from the get go.
Master DIVER TOM

Re: Driving knob

Post by Master DIVER TOM »

Hi LeeAnneB,
First I would like to talk about improving grasp by squeezing a ball to improve grasp over time. It works overtime even if you started with very little grasp like I did :shock:
Over my 61 years driving semi for 25 ,motorcycle for years , and many cars to with my Birth erbs.
What I did find over the years driving was starting with a Spinner knob is a good Idea :idea: I know what the officer told JMAR and he seen the aftermath of a crash. But in a crash these day having your seat belt fasten and a air bag deployed in a crash I think that the odds of getting injured by a spinner knob goes down. When I started driving a spinner knob was a restriction on my license.
This change when I got my Semi License , By driving a few years I learn to drive one handed and use the pressure of my palm in turns and then going back to a grasp at a point. I did end up using my erbs hand a little by potion it at the bottom of the steering wheel and the ability to do this was by the tilt of the steering wheel and seat potion. I have grasp but limited lift and reach. This works going straight but I never have to grasp hard doing this even when shift a ten speed semi for years. ALL the maneuvering, turning or avoiding accidents was from fast reaction in my good arm , Which happen far to often driving a semi around Chicago :shock: I end up with 25 years without a acident, That part was a act of God concidering the near misses I had driving for years ;)
When I got a car with electric seats was great, to get me close enough to the steering wheel without getting closer to the pedals.
She will find what works for her , just like JMar told you to.
Just tell her to slow down in her turns unless she wants to be a race car driver, who knows people amaze me all the time in what they end up learning to adapt to ;) And Amazing parents that encourage there child to try from birth erbs like me to :D
Thought I would detail my answer more, Hope this helps?? :roll:
TOM
Judy-T
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Right arm OBPI One surgery at age 40 Ulnar nerve retransposition

Post by Judy-T »

I did not start using one until a few years ago and I love it!! I have used both , the one from an auto store and a professional one installed. I prefer the one I had installed. It feels more comfortable to drive with. When I bought my car in 2008, Toyota paid to have one put on. I believe it was $75.00. The knob can be removed for other drivers very easily. In the state of Florida, you have to have a handicapped permit(or maybe something on your drivers license) to use one. So, I would check with your DMV to make sure it will be legal.
Master DIVER TOM

Post by Master DIVER TOM »

Driving :roll:
Been there drove this a Semi, over 25 years, with birth erbs +, Car and Semi safety awards , 53, 55 ft trailer and double trlaris, I was a Birth erbs and driving a semi driver with ERBS!!! I was Born 1950 also drove street Rods, To date I customized a 2005 Gto and still drive to day with birth erbsand did so with Birth Erbs, 1950 at birth.
The Outlaw with Erbs,
Tom