Surgery Recovery

This board is for adults and teens to discuss issues relating to BPI since birth (OBPI).
David F
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: I was born on November 30, 1996 with Erb's Palsy in my left arm, which has left my left bicep, deltoid, and possibly my tricep and lat muscles underdeveloped and smaller than my right ones. I am currently exploring surgical operations into it, as I'm 15 and it limits my abilities in sports and weightlifting, but I'm somewhat unsure of my current course of action.

Surgery Recovery

Post by David F »

Well, I've scheduled an appointment with the Shriner's Hospital in Portland, (thank you Rich,) and it is probable that they might employ surgery, which would be fantastic. I just had a couple questions regarding surgery, and I know that it is varies greatly from case to case, but some previous stories or opinions would be appreciated as well. I'm 15, (almost 16,) and I was born with Erb's Palsy in my left arm, which is my non-dominant arm. It isn't incredibly severe, but is has limited bicep and deltoid development, and has also led to me being unable to supinate (palm up) by arm, and also to flex my bicep at a 90 degree angle up.

Firstly, would it be more likely that they would do primary neurosurgery, or rather secondary muscle/tendon transfers for my arm? Is one better than the other, or what are the differences between the two?

Secondly, how long does surgery recovery take for both, usually, or how long did it take for you?

Thirdly, what is the chance of a near-complete recovery in a non-severe case? Is it likely that I will have near normal function with my arm after recovery? I want to train symmetrically with weights, so is it likely that this surgery will allow me to do so, or has it done so with you?

Thanks,

David
richinma2005
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Daughter Kailyn ROBPI, June 14, 1997.
Surgery with Dr Waters (BCH), April 1999 and in February 2012
2 more daughters, Julia (1999), Sarah(2002) born Cesarean.

Re: Surgery Recovery

Post by richinma2005 »

Hi David,

If they do surgery, they would be doing a secondary surgery. The recovery will vary depending on what they do...my daughter just had a surgery at age 15 and she was immobilized in a cast for 6 weeks and a brace for 4 additional, and is still doing PT. It was a newer surgery for kids that was helpful in adults. Her injury sounds more severe than yours however-we were looking primarily for pain relief and some additional rom.

I wish you luck

rich
David F
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: I was born on November 30, 1996 with Erb's Palsy in my left arm, which has left my left bicep, deltoid, and possibly my tricep and lat muscles underdeveloped and smaller than my right ones. I am currently exploring surgical operations into it, as I'm 15 and it limits my abilities in sports and weightlifting, but I'm somewhat unsure of my current course of action.

Post by David F »

Thank you for the reply, Rich. You've been so much help to me in answering my questions, and I wish the best for you and your daughter. Only 10 weeks with a brace and cast doesn't sound bad at all, but I'm sure it seems longer when it's going on.

Thanks again,

David
richinma2005
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Daughter Kailyn ROBPI, June 14, 1997.
Surgery with Dr Waters (BCH), April 1999 and in February 2012
2 more daughters, Julia (1999), Sarah(2002) born Cesarean.

Post by richinma2005 »

If you would like to talk to her Kailyn97@gmail.com