any others ever had this problem???

This board is for adults and teens to discuss issues relating to BPI since birth (OBPI).
emilyalberger
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: left arm bpi since birth,can only bend my elbow mostly ne feeling n when i get it its not the right sensation

any others ever had this problem???

Post by emilyalberger »

so i decided to use Veet the other day,shaveing is realy obnoxious when it comes to my armpits, i always cut my bad arm somehow.i let it heal .i did the test n all that n no problems. n i did my right one no problem then i did my left one n oh my god it hurt so bad i instantly washed it off. about an hour later i checked on it n to my surprise i got a severe chemical burn. joy. i got yellow snot / slime stuff oozing out n the skin is just peeling off. even thinking about it hurts -.- i wrote Veet a nasty letter saying im looking for a lawyer.
has anyone else had this expierience with Veet or Nair? or am i just weird? do you think it was bacteria that caused this reaction? because i washed it n everything before.
Bebittes Mom
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Daughter right brachial plexus birth injury

Re: any others ever had this problem???

Post by Bebittes Mom »

Yes, my 17 year old daughter had the same problem with some kind of stuff to burn the hair....the hair stayed there, but her affected armpit was in a world of hurt....no more hair removal junk for her.....
One Day at A Time Through Gods Graces
brittwitt
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI
Injured at birth. Moderate injury with no surgeries.

Post by brittwitt »

I've used Nair before and it did sting pretty bad on the armpit of my injured arm. I thought it might be because the skin is sensitive since I don't lift my arm much and it's never exposed to anything. I didn't realize it happened to other people too! I just use Nair on my legs now! I'm sorry about your burn! That sounds painful! As for what caused the reaction, I have no idea. It sounds like more than sensitive skin like I think mine was.

I don't know if this will work for you but when I shave I usually have to lift my arm up to a towel rack and hold on to it. I have full function of my hand so it's just a matter of finding something high enough to to hold onto to keep my armpit straight.

-Brittney
LOBPI,19
emilyalberger
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: left arm bpi since birth,can only bend my elbow mostly ne feeling n when i get it its not the right sensation

Post by emilyalberger »

yes i am never useing it on my armpit again. how long do these reactions last?
n the towel rack thing...its not an option over here lol
brittwitt
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI
Injured at birth. Moderate injury with no surgeries.

Post by brittwitt »

Oh ok! Ya definitely wont work for everyone, just seeing if I could help at all :). Um the skin on my arm pit was a little sensitive right after and stung when the water hit it in the shower but it was fine a few hours later. I didn't get a burn like you though, it was just red and sensitive. Since you got a chemical burn with stuff oozing out it'll take longer to heal than mine so I can't really say! You should probably go to the doctor if it's not better though!
SarahxG
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: To make an incredibly LONG story short...
When I was born, my mother's doctor was out of town. A doctor that would not perform c-sections was forced upon us. Being 10 lbs, my right shoulder got stuck under my mom's pubic bone. The doctor pulled me out by my head, which ripped/streched all the nerves in my neck and arm (So, OBPI).
I've had two surgeries at 9 months old, and 3 years old.
My mother suffered as well. She needed both brain surgery and a shunt--She still sufferes today.
My parents lost the court case due to a terrible jurey.

That's about it!
Hope I can find somebody my age to talk to :)

Post by SarahxG »

I used that stuff before.... Not good. Luckily I just used it on my legs. All it is is chemicals I don't recommend it to anybody. Try using an electric razor. You don't need soap or anything. It really works for me
emilyalberger

Post by emilyalberger »

yea im deffinatly investing in an electric one...i found a petition n i was reading some of the stuff that happened to people and its horrid...like necrosis...n i did go to urgent care cause the hospital here are moreons,theyd probally say i had chicken pox or something.anyways lol urgent care gave me a very hard time so i said screw you guys
wafloodzone

Post by wafloodzone »

Try waxing your armpits. Hurts for a minute buy you are hair free for 2 - 3 weeks.
emilyalberger

Post by emilyalberger »

ive tryed it n i get a weird sensation throughout my arm for a couple days...its like its stuck in the stretching feeling with pins n needles then the second day it feels like bugs...idk im weird lol
SMLockwood
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Right side OBPI. injury occured during birth 1-20-1984. Arm slightly bent, shorter than left side, unable to rotate or raise more than about 45 degrees.

Post by SMLockwood »

brittwitt wrote: I don't know if this will work for you but when I shave I usually have to lift my arm up to a towel rack and hold on to it. I have full function of my hand so it's just a matter of finding something high enough to to hold onto to keep my armpit straight.

-Brittney
LOBPI,19
I also use the towel rack method for shaving and putting my hair up too! Never tried nair on the pits but imagine it is as others say and because the skin under there isnt used to being exposed to things. I remember when I was younger I would get rashes under my injured armpit all the time.