I just want some support

This board is for adults and teens to discuss issues relating to BPI since birth (OBPI).
scn1029

I just want some support

Post by scn1029 »

I am 29 years old and I am amarried with two kids 5and 2. I have OBPI in my right arm. My mom had trouble pushing me out and they were supposed to break my clavical but the pulled to hard and the rest is history I suppose.
I know very little about my condition I just found out what it was called ten years ago. When I was a child we really did not discuss it. I think it was painful for my parents so they never pushed the matter, and I guess I wanted to ignore it so I never asked any questions. Im startng to ask questions now because my son is at the age now where the kids around him are starting to notice and ask questions and I noticed him coming to my defense when certain children are not as sensitive. I don't want him growing up thinking that he has to defend me when kids are being mean.
My approach to dealing with it as a child was trying to be positive. When people would ask me about it I would always say it could be worse I could have lost my arm or could not have been here at all, and then everyone would think I had such a great attitude about my dissability. The truth is sometimes I want to scream and curse, the pain and the sacrifices, and always having to find a trick to doing everyday chores gets to you. Now my child having to feel like he must defend my honor is sometimes too much for me to handle. I guess I just want to vent with people who understand what this feels like. I also want more information on my condition.
For years doctors were misdiagnosing my condition. They called it cerebral palsy, then I even had a doctor put in my file muscular dystrophy(?). Funny enough a OBGYN doctor told me what it was called. When I looked it up I was amazed has to how dead on the symptoms were. I had surgery when I was three to correct what they call "the waiters arm" you know when it is twited to the side but other than that I don't know what else was done or could be done. The only person I could ask was my mom and she passed away and my Dad really doesn't know. I just want to be apart of something that can answer my questions and give me a voice to what no one else seems to understand.
Thanks in advance for anyone that replies to me. I have been reading some other posts and it really feels good to know I'm not alone.
Last edited by scn1029 on Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Judy-T
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Right arm OBPI One surgery at age 40 Ulnar nerve retransposition

Re: I just want some support

Post by Judy-T »

Welcome to the club that we did not ask to join. I was 40 when I first discovered that this was not a rare condition and I was not alone. Then it will break your heart when you see that there are still babies being injured.A kind of grieving process is a normal reaction. Then I went thru an anger period when I found out how this injury happens. There is alot of friends that I have met here and we have learned from each other. You are not alone in your feelings. You should consider going to UBPN camp in 2012. It is a great experience.
Somethings I remember after finding this site is that I have a big pen collection, forgetting I am holding a pen and walking out with it. I Look for my keys for along time ,then realize that they are in my hand and I was not alone everyone could relate. So,If you have any questions , ask away.
veggiebug
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: I weighed 11 lbs. 4 oz. when I was born.
I was delivered by forceps which resulted in my ROBPI.
I've never had any surgical intervention.

Post by veggiebug »

Nice to meet you! Welcome as Judy said.

I'm a 32 yr old mom, with a ROBPI. I have a 5 yr old and a 1 yr old. I think they bring on the biggest challenges for me these days. My son will say "mom put your arms like this" while raising his up, and I have to tell him I can't, even harder was when he was little and he wanted me to lift him up in the air over me. We haven't gotten in any deep discussions as of yet, but I'm extremely open with everyone about it.

I found UBPN over 10 yrs ago I believe and what a change it created. I have so much more confidence just because I'm no longer alone. It's amazing how much everyone here becomes your family.

If you ever need to talk please message me. We're all here for support, I'm sure you'll get to know us all soon enough.

-Traci
Erdrix

Post by Erdrix »

I'm continuously amazed at how alike we all are here. Like you, I'm 31 with two boys, 8 and 11. My mother passed away last year taking all my answers with her. My dad doesn't know a whole bunch about, except he tried to sue the hospital, but lawyers where paid off. He says it still makes him sick that this happened to me.

My birth sounds like the same scenario as you. I was to big, got stuck, yanked me out by my right arm. To top it off I was born new year's eve and my mother told me she heard the doctor gripping about want to hurry up and get this over with so he could go to a new year's party. So in essence, he screwed up my entire life so he could go to a party.

On a lighter note, I find it funny that I'm not the only one who walks around hanging on to something without realizing it.
Carolyn J
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI. I am 77 yrs old and never had a name for my injuries until 2004 when I found UBPN at age 66.

My injuries are: LOBPI on upper body and Cerebrael Palsy on the lower left extremities. The only intervention I've had is a tendon transplant from my left leg to my left foot to enable flexing t age 24 in 1962. Before that, my foot would freeze without notice on the side when wearing heels AND I always did wear them at work "to fit in" I also stuttered until around age 18-19...just outgrew it...no therapy for it. Also suffered from very very low self esteem; severe Depression and Anxiety attacks started at menopause. I stuffed emotions and over-compensated in every thing I did to "fit in" and be "invisible". My injuries were Never addressed or talked about until age 66. I am a late bloomer!!!!!

I welcome any and all questions about "My Journey".
There is NO SUCH THING AS A DUMB QUESTION.
Sharing helps to Heal. HUGS do too.

Post by Carolyn J »

Girls,
I now use a Quad cane and no longer take prat falls. named "Fred" & should have done this long ago!! :?
Carolyn J
LOBPI/73
Carolyn J
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI. I am 77 yrs old and never had a name for my injuries until 2004 when I found UBPN at age 66.

My injuries are: LOBPI on upper body and Cerebrael Palsy on the lower left extremities. The only intervention I've had is a tendon transplant from my left leg to my left foot to enable flexing t age 24 in 1962. Before that, my foot would freeze without notice on the side when wearing heels AND I always did wear them at work "to fit in" I also stuttered until around age 18-19...just outgrew it...no therapy for it. Also suffered from very very low self esteem; severe Depression and Anxiety attacks started at menopause. I stuffed emotions and over-compensated in every thing I did to "fit in" and be "invisible". My injuries were Never addressed or talked about until age 66. I am a late bloomer!!!!!

I welcome any and all questions about "My Journey".
There is NO SUCH THING AS A DUMB QUESTION.
Sharing helps to Heal. HUGS do too.

Post by Carolyn J »

Bumping up for "Xiggers"

Carolyn J
LOBPI/75