Sleeping positions for OBPI

This board is for adults and teens to discuss issues relating to BPI since birth (OBPI).
emilyalberger
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: left arm bpi since birth,can only bend my elbow mostly ne feeling n when i get it its not the right sensation

Re: Sleeping positions for OBPI

Post by emilyalberger »

try sleeping on your side with your "bad" arm agenst your chest and your other across that arm kinda like a vampire but on your side =]
jmar
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: brachial plexus stretch during thoracic outlet syndrome surgery on may 18, 2010.

Post by jmar »

i was told by my doc to not bend my elbow any more than a 90 degree angle while sleeping. my sister had an adjustable headrest for an old wheelchair. she bent it to make a C shape. it had some elastic strips on it that she tied together. it is about 3 inches thick. i slip it over my arm at night, it moves around with me, is not tight at all, and more importantly, it keeps my arm from bending at night. i hardly notice it being on my arm. it is so amazing how much better my arm feels in the morning. i feel better and not so grouchy from so much pain during the day also. i know that is an imaginative way to come up with something like that. but it works!! and every one is happy that i am not such a grouch any more. :lol: 8-)
cristinam

Post by cristinam »

Jmar, i dont personally do this, but you can also get a sock (with end off) and put a tennis ball to keep arm from bending.
jmar
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: brachial plexus stretch during thoracic outlet syndrome surgery on may 18, 2010.

Post by jmar »

ouch that sounds painful. maybe a soft pad or another sock, but no thanks for a tennis ball. this thing i have has no sock or anything that causes red marks it is very loose but stays where it needs to be.
cristinam

Post by cristinam »

haha like I said I havent actually done it. I dont sleep with my arms bent as such where it was necessary, but that's a suggestion my OT gave a couple years ago, and it was a "home remedy," that pretty much any one could do. Im glad you found something that works for you. :D
mckrock31

Post by mckrock31 »

What your sleeping position says about you ...
Foetus
Those who curl up in the foetus position are described as tough on the outside but sensitive at heart. They may be shy when they first meet somebody, but soon relax. This is the most common sleeping position, adopted by 41% of the 1,000 people who took part in the survey. More than twice as many women as men tend to adopt this position.

Log
Lying on your side with both arms down by your side. These sleepers are easy going, social people who like being part of the in-crowd, and who are trusting of strangers. However, they may be gullible.

Yearner
People who sleep on their side with both arms out in front are said to have an open nature, but can be suspicious, cynical. They are slow to make up their minds, but once they have taken a decision, they are unlikely ever to change it.

Soldier
Lying on your back with both arms pinned to your sides. People who sleep in this position are generally quiet and reserved. They don't like a fuss, but set themselves and others high standards.

Freefall
Lying on your front with your hands around the pillow, and your head turned to one side. Often gregarious and brash people, but can be nervy and thin-skinned underneath, and don't like criticism, or extreme situations.

Starfish
Lying on your back with both arms up around the pillow. These sleepers make good friends because they are always ready to listen to others, and offer help when needed. They generally don't like to be the centre of attention.

The remainder of those in the poll said the position they fell asleep varied or did not know.

Professor Idzikowski also examined the effect of various sleeping positions on health. He concluded that the freefall position was good for digestion, while the starfish and soldier positions were more likely to lead to snoring and a bad night's sleep.

Professor Idzikowski said "Lying down flat means that stomach contents can more readily be worked back up into the mouth, while those who lie on their back may end up snoring and breathing less well during the night. "Both these postures may not necessarily awaken the sleeper but could cause a less refreshing night's sleep."

The research also found that most people are unlikely to change their sleeping position. Just 5% said they sleep in a different position every night.
emilyalberger
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: left arm bpi since birth,can only bend my elbow mostly ne feeling n when i get it its not the right sensation

Post by emilyalberger »

i just tried something new n i feel better! i kinda make a T with my pillows n sleep with my head at the top and have the rest elevating my torso n shoulders
jamesbond

Post by jamesbond »

I was diagnosed with Erb's Palsy at birth, my mother had a horrendous badly managed labor and I was eventually delivered by Anderson's Forceps..my left arm got wedged behind my mothers pelvic bone, thus It got wrenched. My parents were told I would always be paralysed in that arm; however my parents being Dr's refused to accept this and did regular exercises and as a result no permanent damage was done..whether the exercises actually helped or erb's Palsy was incorrectly diagnosed is another story...I was only told recently when my mother came across my medical notes...I would have never known, my arm made a complete recovery..