Sleeping positions for OBPI

This board is for adults and teens to discuss issues relating to BPI since birth (OBPI).
Jennifer P
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI

Re: Sleeping positions for OBPI

Post by Jennifer P »

Does anyone have a solution for husbands that snore? His snoring keeps me up more than my BPI arm does :twisted:
karategirl1kyu
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI, had surgery when I was 9- they moved muscles and tendons from one side of my arm to the other side. I can lift my arm to about my eye level, can't straigten it all the way and can't completely supinate my wrist.

Post by karategirl1kyu »

lol have you tried the 'breathe right' strips that go on your nose?? or does he snore through his mouth (like i do?) i sit up mostly while i sleep so i dont snore as much as i used to... you could always do what the kids at summer camp did to me one year... put a pillow over his face and sit on him! (thats mean though) lol
~Mel/23/LOBPI
Carolyn J
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI. I am 77 yrs old and never had a name for my injuries until 2004 when I found UBPN at age 66.

My injuries are: LOBPI on upper body and Cerebrael Palsy on the lower left extremities. The only intervention I've had is a tendon transplant from my left leg to my left foot to enable flexing t age 24 in 1962. Before that, my foot would freeze without notice on the side when wearing heels AND I always did wear them at work "to fit in" I also stuttered until around age 18-19...just outgrew it...no therapy for it. Also suffered from very very low self esteem; severe Depression and Anxiety attacks started at menopause. I stuffed emotions and over-compensated in every thing I did to "fit in" and be "invisible". My injuries were Never addressed or talked about until age 66. I am a late bloomer!!!!!

I welcome any and all questions about "My Journey".
There is NO SUCH THING AS A DUMB QUESTION.
Sharing helps to Heal. HUGS do too.

Post by Carolyn J »

Jennifer,
I suggest having your husband get a sleep apnea test...he may need one of those thingys when he sleeps...most medical Insurances cover this test and apparatus if he needs one. :mrgreen:
HUGS,
Carolyn J 8-)
Carolyn J
Adult LOBPI
Jennifer P
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI

Post by Jennifer P »

We've not done/tried either of those. I keep telling him to try the strips, but he is lazy. So the woman of the house will have to get them and make them use them...ugh!! :roll:
stcrx

Post by stcrx »

I have some sleeping issues, but it's mostly the soreness in the morning that bothers me. I have ways I go about laying in each position that I now literally do in my sleep. It also helps me to cuddle someone, I will explain that, too.

Left ('good') side: For this, I need 2-3 pillows. One pillow lays flat on the bed and meets up with my shoulder. Another, fluffier pillow sits on top of it, and goes between my shoulder and my neck. I bend my left arm and put it somewhere near my face, usually under both or one of the pillows. My right ('bad') arm either bends and goes under my face (it looks funny but feels good to spread my fingers so I like to put my hand under stuff) or around a third pillow, or my fiance's arm or chest if he's the right distance from me. The 3rd pillow/fiance used to be a giant teddy bear, but my mom is holding him (my teddy) hostage for some reason.

Right ('bad') side: I usually just use one fluffy pillow under my head for this one, and bend my elbow and flatten my hand under my face and pillow. In this position, if I don't push my hand under my face and pillow, it doesn't reach the bed, so it stays uncomfortably up until I push it somewhere. My left arm does whatever is comfortable, which is usually bend and curl up and push a big wad of blanket in the crook of my neck and left shoulder. This is how I usually fall asleep, however I get heartburn worse when I lay on this side for some reason.

Cuddling: I usually lay on his right side. I lay on my left side and put my head on his shoulder and his arm kinda goes under my neck (creating the same sort of effect as the 2 pillows did) and then my right arm rests comfortably propped up on his chest. This is comforting not only because I love him, but I think it puts my spine and right arm in just the right position that I relax my body. He sometimes has a hard time sleeping when I'm on him like this, so once I'm fully relaxed I usually roll over to my right side and completely fall asleep the way I listed above.

Stomach: I lay all sorts of ways on my stomach, most of them involv my arms being up, and one of my legs being bent. I feel like thi should have illustrations lol...
hmm, here: Image
Terrible illustration is terrible lol anyway, that's basically how I sleep on my tummy, but again I will usually pull that right arm in under my pillow and head so that my hand has a little pressure on it and my fingers straighten out.

On my back: I don't sleep long at a time on my back, but sometimes I need to lay that way to fall asleep cuz everything hurts and it's the most comfortable. I usually interlock my fingers over my chest under my boobs so that my arm is propped, until I'm half asleep and then I let go and just kinda let it slide down onto the bed so my elbow reaches the bed and my hand rests on my stomach, my left arm stays there though because my elbow can reach. Sometimes I put my arms above my head. In this case, I either find a pillow to put under my right arm so that it doesn't sit there at a weird angle not laying flat on the bed, or I again push it (usually I use my other arm to get it there) under my pillow and face so my fingers flatten out. With my left arm I'll either do the same or leave it on my chest.

The problem I have is a lot of mornings I wake up sore, especially my shoulders, though sometimes my back and legs. These methods usually help me fall asleep though, and I'll sleep ok through the night. (Though I toss and turn to get to the next position during my sleep, I also talk in my sleep, sing in my sleep, hold my breath once in a while, and snore once in a while.)
~'Cuz life's like a jump rope~
Please view http://www.rarereflections.weebly.com to see my photography. Photography and writing are kind of my life.
navigrassor

Post by navigrassor »

I've heard that sleeping without a pillow is the healthiest way to sleep :?
jmar
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: brachial plexus stretch during thoracic outlet syndrome surgery on may 18, 2010.

Post by jmar »

when i was in the rehab hospital, i had the problem of my arm sticking up when i slept. when i was doing e-stem, they had my arm up on a foam wedge. i asked for a wedge to prop my arm on while i was sleeping. it did not work at first. but then i came up with attaching velcro around it to hold my arm on. it worked wonders. it did not fall off, it moved with me and i was able to sleep a whole lot better. hope this works for any one else who wants to try it. i think you can get one at any medical supply store. but you may have to come up with your own velcro (the sticky back kind works best)
nysbadmk8
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI, Resulting From a moderate Erb's Palsy, No surgical intervention, 3/20/1984

Post by nysbadmk8 »

3 pillows and a wish and a dream... Most nights i prop up my center section on a pillow while having two pillows under my head. Typically one cat sleeps on my head for good luck, and to make sure i wake up 5 times throughout the night.
karategirl1kyu
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI, had surgery when I was 9- they moved muscles and tendons from one side of my arm to the other side. I can lift my arm to about my eye level, can't straigten it all the way and can't completely supinate my wrist.

Post by karategirl1kyu »

i dont think i could sleep at all with a cat purring on my head! more power to you! lol, my cat tends to plop down right between my legs, so in order to move at all i have to disturb her! lol
~Mel/23/LOBPI
Carolyn J
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI. I am 77 yrs old and never had a name for my injuries until 2004 when I found UBPN at age 66.

My injuries are: LOBPI on upper body and Cerebrael Palsy on the lower left extremities. The only intervention I've had is a tendon transplant from my left leg to my left foot to enable flexing t age 24 in 1962. Before that, my foot would freeze without notice on the side when wearing heels AND I always did wear them at work "to fit in" I also stuttered until around age 18-19...just outgrew it...no therapy for it. Also suffered from very very low self esteem; severe Depression and Anxiety attacks started at menopause. I stuffed emotions and over-compensated in every thing I did to "fit in" and be "invisible". My injuries were Never addressed or talked about until age 66. I am a late bloomer!!!!!

I welcome any and all questions about "My Journey".
There is NO SUCH THING AS A DUMB QUESTION.
Sharing helps to Heal. HUGS do too.

Post by Carolyn J »

# 1 ) Lucy, my Companion/Service dog, OWNS the bed(a double) and I sleep "around" her...lol

#2) My shoulders are ALWAYS sore in the morning no matter what I do.
HUGS,
Carolyn J
Carolyn J
Adult LOBPI