Fused growth plate

This board is for adults and teens to discuss issues relating to BPI since birth (OBPI).
Stephens mom

Fused growth plate

Post by Stephens mom »

Have any of you had problems with a contracture in the elbow that caused the growth plate to fuse together? Did any of you have a contracture in the elbow that got worse as you got older??
Stephens mom
Master DIVER TOM

Re: Fused growth plate

Post by Master DIVER TOM »

What does that mean?? I had my elbow fractured at birth with erbs. I drove semis with this condition and having to POP my elbow back in place my hole life. My choice in the day was to cut the muscle in my elbow. Good thing I did not do that. Good news Today there is a better treatment. In ether case with hope or not there is a life thats work out very well for sure that works out.

Tom
hope16_05
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: 28 years old with a right obstetrical brachial plexus injury. 5 surgeries to date with pretty decent results. Last surgery resolved years of pain in my right arm however, I am beginning my journey with overuse in my left arm

Post by hope16_05 »

Stephens mom wrote:Have any of you had problems with a contracture in the elbow that caused the growth plate to fuse together? Did any of you have a contracture in the elbow that got worse as you got older??
Stephens mom

Hi Stephens mom...I have had an elbow contracture since I was 11 years old and it has gotten worse over the years until I started wearing a brace at night. Then it got way better and now its getting worse because I have stopped wearing my splints. Elbow contractures are common but I am nit sure about the growth plate thing...My growth plates were never affected other than my right arm is smaller in general than my left arm...

Amy 22 years old ROBPI from MN
Amy 28 years old ROBPI from MN
Stephens mom

Post by Stephens mom »

Thank you, Amy. I am in the process of getting a splint. We have not been faithful with the brace; this is what has caused the contractrue and I think that is why it has gotten worse. We tried to stretch the tendon with an adjustable brace but it did not work. The bones are "fixed" (not a medical term) and there is some permanent contracture. I just do not want it to get worse.

Tom, the contracture is where the joint is bent and cannot be straightened completely. When I talk about the growth plate, it is the part of the bone that is necessary for growth. There are two bones in the forearm and if one of them stops growing and the other one continues, it can lead to a contracture. I do not suspect this is a major complications to a BPI but I thought I would throw it out there to see if anyone has had this problem. Hope this helps clear it all up. Thanks for your response.
Master DIVER TOM

Thank you for explain, Maybe I can answer this way? I had Erbs, broken elbow and fractured scapula also at birth, I am 57, I have had a bowed elbow my hole life. My elbow jumps out of socket some times. I my life time I never had surjuryies, So what I say now is from my experience and driving semi and loading and unloading freight over the years with erbs. I touched my erbs alot to work for sure. My erbs arm was splinted when I was little. I know that my erbs problem never ended up worsen over time. Even thaw at time I thought it did, I know that I benefit more from finding ways to have fun find things that I enjoyed to do or try to stretch the erbs,for sure. MAYBE , for me overtime it did keep more movement?? There is no cookie cut for bpi issues for sure. I will say what work for me was supporting my erbs from gravity and tension in the elbow was stuff animal to support my erbs when I sleep.. That what my mom told me. I have always used pillows and arm rest when ever I could for the pain and spasm that came along with driving semis for years. To me it stretching , and cushion the limitation. This becomes another twighlight question ( to splint or not to splint)?? The only light I can offer is to share what work for me,and hope I help??? ;) :)

Best wishes and Trys,

Tom
Master DIVER TOM

:idea: :idea: :?: I thought I should write this here because I think it is very important to me to say ;) . Last time I was here was when Nancy was on the board. I see that more Moms are getting together here now :D I am not sure how this happens or if it was done by the match up with by limitation :?: I hope that this match to limitation happens even more this is in fact to me, I seen this happen on the board it self :D Please DO hook up its as good as a GPS for derection-AWSOME!!!! :D

Tom
kristoffer

Post by kristoffer »

im also interested with that splint? what do u call that? u just bu the splint? i have contructure on my right elbow since birth. didnt undergo any surgeries nor therapies except that my mom just doing ROm when i was a kid. my hand is ofcourse smaller. i dont want other people notice my smaller hand thats why i try to atleast be bigger/fat bcoz when ur skinny, it is more noticeable.
diver

Post by diver »

I to have a smaller hand and the bent arm look, from my birth erbs :shock: There are many here that do to ;)
The best thing I ever learn that it more important to strengthen what your left with in life. by are ways to find a way to adapt in a 2 hand world :shock: ;) It never is a good thing to focus on how you look , it more about the trys that do work out overtime :shock: ;) :D
Looking in a mirror , does not help :shock: It just Sucks ;)
Just thinking :roll:
Tom