Hobbies?

This board is for adults and teens to discuss issues relating to BPI since birth (OBPI).
karategirl1kyu
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI, had surgery when I was 9- they moved muscles and tendons from one side of my arm to the other side. I can lift my arm to about my eye level, can't straigten it all the way and can't completely supinate my wrist.

Re: Hobbies?

Post by karategirl1kyu »

oh i hear you, anywhere and everywhere that has anything to do with scrapbooking!! hahaha... im trying to cool it so i can afford to print pictures!! lol. i have all the stuff but nothing to actually scrapbook!! haha
~Mel/23/LOBPI
Jennifer P
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI

Post by Jennifer P »

Mel, that's hilarious.
marieke
no external rotation against gravity, can only go to 90 degree fwd flexion, no hand-to-mouth
1 surgery at age 14 (latissimus dorsi transfer). In 2004, at age 28 I was struck with Transverse Myelitis which paralyzed me from the chest down. I recovered movement to my right leg, but need a KAFO to walk on my left leg. I became an RN in 2008.

Post by marieke »

lol.. we should send each other stuff to trade and get new things!
Marieke Dufresne RN
34, LOBPI
http://nurse-to-be08.blogspot.com
karategirl1kyu
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI, had surgery when I was 9- they moved muscles and tendons from one side of my arm to the other side. I can lift my arm to about my eye level, can't straigten it all the way and can't completely supinate my wrist.

Post by karategirl1kyu »

hahahahaa the trading would be fun, i bet theres some stickers here thet you dont have over there and vice versa!! :D i like all the different disney sayings... it think theyre cool. do you plan out your pages before you paste and stick or do you do it randomly?? i like the look of the randomness better for me i think... lol!
~Mel/23/LOBPI
marieke
no external rotation against gravity, can only go to 90 degree fwd flexion, no hand-to-mouth
1 surgery at age 14 (latissimus dorsi transfer). In 2004, at age 28 I was struck with Transverse Myelitis which paralyzed me from the chest down. I recovered movement to my right leg, but need a KAFO to walk on my left leg. I became an RN in 2008.

Post by marieke »

Some are random, some are semi-thought out first.. depends what I am using for pics :)
Marieke Dufresne RN
34, LOBPI
http://nurse-to-be08.blogspot.com
Shaun Murray
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: paralysed right arm through motorbike accident in 1979 have a lot of chronic neropathic pain and am trying medication

Post by Shaun Murray »

Does anyone know you can get a split that fits on your paralysed arm ( it has a frame that fits to your arm and body ) and you can get attachments that fit into a tool post in the palm of your hand to help you with things like that
SMLockwood
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Right side OBPI. injury occured during birth 1-20-1984. Arm slightly bent, shorter than left side, unable to rotate or raise more than about 45 degrees.

Post by SMLockwood »

hello everyone! I have a ton of hobbies i love to do! I can knit and crochet, I love sculpting, painting, hunting, fishing, taxidermy, pretty much anything to do with crafts and outdoors! You can do anything that you put your mind to even if you have to do it in a different way to compensate for your injury. I am ROBPI and cant rotate my arm or lift it over my head etc. Shooting can be a little difficult so I have a gun with a youth stock which is shorter to compensate for my smaller arm, and a pistol grip to make it easier to hold since i can't rotate my arm. point is, dont let your injury keep you from doing anything you enjoy!
Rod B
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Rt Arm Erb's Palsy, 1960, St Luke Hosp. S.f. Ca. Dr. Z. Hand length shorter than left arm, waiters tip wrist, elbow doesn't extend all the way, can't raise arm above shoulder level, can't raise hand above eye level; Surgery in 1978 At UCSF Dr. Hoaglan, and Preffenger to stabalize. I hate when other people do a double take, but notice I do the same LOL. Didnt bother me when I was young, but from age 12 and up I was always trying to hide my disability . I don't hide it any more. Grew up playing softball, fishing, able to ride motorcycle as well.

Post by Rod B »

Hi everone I'm Rod, and I don't knit or crochet, but don't think that I havn't thought of it; if anything just to see if I can do it. I like to fish for trout, although I havn't been in a couple years; I've been busy the last few years with car clubs on the weekends. I also like to swim in a pool using my left arm, but use both arms to do breaststroke.