Hobbies?

This board is for adults and teens to discuss issues relating to BPI since birth (OBPI).
erik_olson

Re: Hobbies?

Post by erik_olson »

I started a new hobby: I joined the Bel Canto choir of Milwaukee, which attempts some pretty ambitious choral music concerts four times per year. After a few weeks of rehearsal, I received my music folder, and discovered I couldn't really hold it with my left (injured) arm. It's the kind with a black handle strap on the spine.

So I started doing exercises with a 8 lb weight. Neck muscles and biceps. Also some 1 mile runs. A few weeks of that and I was able to hold my folder without too much difficulty. Except it takes me a while to find the right way to hold the handle each time.

They put me in the front row of the choir so I was freaking out a little. Only a little.

As a bonus I feel like my arm is hanging a little straighter. Might be just a feeling.

-Erik
Carolyn J
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI. I am 77 yrs old and never had a name for my injuries until 2004 when I found UBPN at age 66.

My injuries are: LOBPI on upper body and Cerebrael Palsy on the lower left extremities. The only intervention I've had is a tendon transplant from my left leg to my left foot to enable flexing t age 24 in 1962. Before that, my foot would freeze without notice on the side when wearing heels AND I always did wear them at work "to fit in" I also stuttered until around age 18-19...just outgrew it...no therapy for it. Also suffered from very very low self esteem; severe Depression and Anxiety attacks started at menopause. I stuffed emotions and over-compensated in every thing I did to "fit in" and be "invisible". My injuries were Never addressed or talked about until age 66. I am a late bloomer!!!!!

I welcome any and all questions about "My Journey".
There is NO SUCH THING AS A DUMB QUESTION.
Sharing helps to Heal. HUGS do too.

Post by Carolyn J »

GREAT GOING, Erik!!! We must keep challenging ourselves.
I discovered that my LOBPI hand, (alot contracted if i'm not carrying a ball in the hand) RELAXES completely when
I'm walking my Companion dog Lucy and hold her leash in that hand...go figure!
Carolyn J/71 :mrgreen:
Carolyn J
Adult LOBPI
smith727

Post by smith727 »

I play Judo and blacksmith a little on t he side... I make hand-forged knives.
karategirl1kyu
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI, had surgery when I was 9- they moved muscles and tendons from one side of my arm to the other side. I can lift my arm to about my eye level, can't straigten it all the way and can't completely supinate my wrist.

Post by karategirl1kyu »

... hand forged knives?? that sounds very cool! :D
~Mel/23/LOBPI
marieke
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI
no external rotation against gravity, can only go to 90 degree fwd flexion, no hand-to-mouth
1 surgery at age 14 (latissimus dorsi transfer). In 2004, at age 28 I was struck with Transverse Myelitis which paralyzed me from the chest down. I recovered movement to my right leg, but need a KAFO to walk on my left leg. I became an RN in 2008.

Post by marieke »

I started scrapbooking again.. I love doing that!
Marieke Dufresne RN
34, LOBPI
http://nurse-to-be08.blogspot.com
karategirl1kyu
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI, had surgery when I was 9- they moved muscles and tendons from one side of my arm to the other side. I can lift my arm to about my eye level, can't straigten it all the way and can't completely supinate my wrist.

Post by karategirl1kyu »

MEEE TOOO!!! its my favorite hobby!
~Mel/23/LOBPI
Jennifer P

Post by Jennifer P »

Scrapbooking is something I avoid like the plague. If I got into it I'd go way too far :)
drunkinemu

Post by drunkinemu »

I play guitar, a pretty mean guitar if I might add. Although my bp arm tends to fatigue after fast rhythms, I can for the most part finish any song I play.
karategirl1kyu

Post by karategirl1kyu »

..ive gone off the deep end with scrapbooking!! lol... so much paper... so many stickers... hahaha!
~Mel/23/LOBPI
marieke
no external rotation against gravity, can only go to 90 degree fwd flexion, no hand-to-mouth
1 surgery at age 14 (latissimus dorsi transfer). In 2004, at age 28 I was struck with Transverse Myelitis which paralyzed me from the chest down. I recovered movement to my right leg, but need a KAFO to walk on my left leg. I became an RN in 2008.

Post by marieke »

Mel, same here!
They have great stuff at Dollar stores where I live so when I go there I come away with tons of nice paper!
Marieke Dufresne RN
34, LOBPI
http://nurse-to-be08.blogspot.com