Should have never had the surgeries (non bpi)

This board is for adults and teens to discuss issues relating to BPI since birth (OBPI).
Beckyerin

Re: Should have never had the surgeries (non bpi)

Post by Beckyerin »

What surgeries did you have? If its a carpal tunnel release those surgeries are really painful and can have a long recovery time.
Same thing with an ulnar nerve transposition(they move your ulnar nerve) for cubital tunnel syndrome. Don't give up hope just yet. sometimes it takes a while for those nerves to calm down.
Becky
Joy in FL

Post by Joy in FL »

My hardest surgery to recover from was the wrist! It was probably the most painful as well. The incision was very difficult to deal with. I actually cried when they took the stitches out. I never cried with stitches before. That is how painful it was. It hurt bad enough that the doctor stopped went and saw another patient then came back. All of that was to give me and my incision a break!

Unless you are 6 to 9 months post op I would not worry yet!
Joy in FL is now living in Georgia!
Left TBI on October 31, 1991
hope16_05
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: 28 years old with a right obstetrical brachial plexus injury. 5 surgeries to date with pretty decent results. Last surgery resolved years of pain in my right arm however, I am beginning my journey with overuse in my left arm

Post by hope16_05 »

Christina,
sorry to hear that this surgery didnt go as planned. Recovery can be very long and I hope that will not be the case with you! Good luck and best wishes for a quick recovery!!! I hope your pain goes down soon!!!
Hugs,
Amy
Amy 28 years old ROBPI from MN
Kath
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: I am ROBPI, global injury, Horner's Syndrome. No surgery but PT started at 2 weeks old under the direction of New York Hospital. I wore a brace 24/7 for the first 11 months of my life. I've never let my injury be used as an excuse not to do something. I've approach all things, in life, as a challenge. I approach anything new wondering if I can do it. I tried so many things I might never have tried, if I were not obpi. Being OBPI has made me strong, creative, more determined and persistent. I believe that being obpi has given me a very strong sense of humor and compassion for others.

Post by Kath »

Christina
I am so sorry that your surgery did not go well.
I hope the pain goes away soon and that you can straighten out your SSD issues.

Kath robpi/adult
Kath robpi/adult

Kathleen Mallozzi
kissygoose

Post by kissygoose »

Thanks ladies. I had a carpel tunnel release and ulnar nerve transposition. My Dr. basically has given me no information about healing or anything (they didn't even tell me what I could or couldn't do after surgery or how to care for my insisions). My elbow is still swollen as bad as it was when I first had the surgery.

It would have been nice if the dr. would have said it's a slow recovery and can take months. I could have dealt with that. I'll try to be more patient with the recovery time. I really hope it gets better. I want so badly to go back to my beading and crafts.

Thanks again.
Joy in FL

Post by Joy in FL »

Keep ice on the arm to help with the swelling. That will also help with the pain. Providing you are not cold sensitive.

You will need PT. At least I did. When did you have the surgery? I can't for the life of me remember when I started PT for my wrist and arm. I know for the TOS surgery it was the next morning!
Joy in FL is now living in Georgia!
Left TBI on October 31, 1991
kissygoose

Post by kissygoose »

I'll definitely start putting ice on it Joy. Thanks. And beleive it or not my dr. hasn't ordered any PT for me. The only thing he told me was to move my wrist back and forth and side to side then bend and un bend my elbow. That's it.
Carolyn J
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI. I am 77 yrs old and never had a name for my injuries until 2004 when I found UBPN at age 66.

My injuries are: LOBPI on upper body and Cerebrael Palsy on the lower left extremities. The only intervention I've had is a tendon transplant from my left leg to my left foot to enable flexing t age 24 in 1962. Before that, my foot would freeze without notice on the side when wearing heels AND I always did wear them at work "to fit in" I also stuttered until around age 18-19...just outgrew it...no therapy for it. Also suffered from very very low self esteem; severe Depression and Anxiety attacks started at menopause. I stuffed emotions and over-compensated in every thing I did to "fit in" and be "invisible". My injuries were Never addressed or talked about until age 66. I am a late bloomer!!!!!

I welcome any and all questions about "My Journey".
There is NO SUCH THING AS A DUMB QUESTION.
Sharing helps to Heal. HUGS do too.

Post by Carolyn J »

Christina,
I'm sorry for your pain. I hope Dr. Nath prescribes P/T or something else that will help you.

I am very glad you got thru to Dr. Nath.

Continuing to fight for Soc. Sec. Disability, which you surely deserve!, will be worth your efforts.

Please keep on keeping on, Christina.

HUGS!,
Carolyn J

Message was edited by: Carolyn J
Carolyn J
Adult LOBPI
hope16_05
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: 28 years old with a right obstetrical brachial plexus injury. 5 surgeries to date with pretty decent results. Last surgery resolved years of pain in my right arm however, I am beginning my journey with overuse in my left arm

Post by hope16_05 »

Do you know an OT or PT that you could ask a question to about the recovery and therapy? They can often get the docs to sign an order. I would think after any surgery therapy shoudl be offered! Check into it and maybe you can get back to your beading that much sooner.
Good luck!!!
Hugs,
Amy
Amy 28 years old ROBPI from MN
Beckyerin

Post by Beckyerin »

If I were you I would see a certified hand therapist. These are usually OT's but PT's are CHT's as well. Hand therapists just deal with mostly the forearm and hand(and up to the shoulder). They are very knowledgeable about carpal tunnel releases and ulnar nerve transposistions. I just graduated from OT school and I remember my hand therapy teacher had written a whole protocol for CTS. Good luck.
Becky