help please!

This board is for adults and teens to discuss issues relating to BPI since birth (OBPI).
hope16_05
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: 28 years old with a right obstetrical brachial plexus injury. 5 surgeries to date with pretty decent results. Last surgery resolved years of pain in my right arm however, I am beginning my journey with overuse in my left arm

help please!

Post by hope16_05 »

Ok, so I am having surgery next wednesday that will give me absolutely no use of my right arm for at least 4 weeks. No problem except my sister wants me to do daycare for her 8 month old son. I am totally up forthat and I want to but I need some tips on changing the diaper with use of only one hand. I had enough trouble tonight and I still have use of both hands. Any tips?

Thanks!
Amy
20 years old ROBPI from MN
Amy 28 years old ROBPI from MN
brandonsmom

Re: help please!

Post by brandonsmom »

I am a mom of FOUR and I cannot figure this one out !!! Good Luck !!!!
But knowing you BPI-ers you will figure it out !!!! GAYLE
Carolyn J
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI. I am 77 yrs old and never had a name for my injuries until 2004 when I found UBPN at age 66.

My injuries are: LOBPI on upper body and Cerebrael Palsy on the lower left extremities. The only intervention I've had is a tendon transplant from my left leg to my left foot to enable flexing t age 24 in 1962. Before that, my foot would freeze without notice on the side when wearing heels AND I always did wear them at work "to fit in" I also stuttered until around age 18-19...just outgrew it...no therapy for it. Also suffered from very very low self esteem; severe Depression and Anxiety attacks started at menopause. I stuffed emotions and over-compensated in every thing I did to "fit in" and be "invisible". My injuries were Never addressed or talked about until age 66. I am a late bloomer!!!!!

I welcome any and all questions about "My Journey".
There is NO SUCH THING AS A DUMB QUESTION.
Sharing helps to Heal. HUGS do too.

Post by Carolyn J »

Dear AMY,
1st of all, I WILL be praying for a good outcome and for your Surgery Teamon next wednesday.Also I know my thoughts will be with you too, that day.

OK, I hope you will be using disposable diaper's with tabs!...I firmly held one side folded in place with my left BPI arm/elbow resting gently across but not blocking me taking tape off the good hand and folding it & fastening tightly with boys, remember. Then you fasten the BPI side....[u]ALL THE WHILE[/u] ENTERTAINING HIM WITH SILLY SONGS and SILLY FACES exaggerating very syllable!! This last suggestion keeps him from scrwerming (SP?!!).

HUGS ALL AROUND YOU & NEPHEW!,
Carolyn J

ps...HAVE FUN!! :)'s

Message was edited by: Carolyn J
Carolyn J
Adult LOBPI
hope16_05
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: 28 years old with a right obstetrical brachial plexus injury. 5 surgeries to date with pretty decent results. Last surgery resolved years of pain in my right arm however, I am beginning my journey with overuse in my left arm

Post by hope16_05 »

lol yes, they are disposable diapers. I have a feeling I will need to use my feet to keep him still. I wont be able to assist with my bpi arm at all as it will be strapped to my stomach.

I am having three surgeries at once so no use at all of my bpi arm. Not even a little bit because of the surgery, part will be in my middle finger then in the paml of my hand on my forarm and then my chest/shoulder. So he told me my arm would be in at my stomash palm down. But because of the surgery on my finger that and my last surgery I wont be able to use my hand.

I suppose 4 weeks from now I will have this down to a science, or at least I hope, lol If I get a system that works, I will have to share.

Hugs,
Amy
Tanya in NY
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: I am Mom to Amber, injured at birth. I serve on the Board of Directors for UBPN, and am a labor/delivery nurse, too.

Post by Tanya in NY »

This one is going to be a tough one. I don't have any real suggestions other than to start practicing now with one hand and always do it on the floor on a blanket that can be thrown in the laundry because 8 month olds don't stay still for very long but rather try to roll around.

Good luck with the surgery.

Tanya in NY
Amber's Mom, ROBPI, 4 years old
Tanya in NY
Amber's Mom, ROBPI, 13 years old
ptrefam

Post by ptrefam »

Amy,
Even with 2 good arms I remember having to use my legs to keep a wiggly one still while changing diapers. I think I would lay them on the floor between my legs and use my legs to gently pin the arms down. Or place your legs along side of him so he can't roll away. I always used the floor, didn't trust myself with one of those changing tables. A toy in the his hand may keep him occupied long enough to get the job done too.
Sue
Carolyn J
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI. I am 77 yrs old and never had a name for my injuries until 2004 when I found UBPN at age 66.

My injuries are: LOBPI on upper body and Cerebrael Palsy on the lower left extremities. The only intervention I've had is a tendon transplant from my left leg to my left foot to enable flexing t age 24 in 1962. Before that, my foot would freeze without notice on the side when wearing heels AND I always did wear them at work "to fit in" I also stuttered until around age 18-19...just outgrew it...no therapy for it. Also suffered from very very low self esteem; severe Depression and Anxiety attacks started at menopause. I stuffed emotions and over-compensated in every thing I did to "fit in" and be "invisible". My injuries were Never addressed or talked about until age 66. I am a late bloomer!!!!!

I welcome any and all questions about "My Journey".
There is NO SUCH THING AS A DUMB QUESTION.
Sharing helps to Heal. HUGS do too.

Post by Carolyn J »

Amy,
I still say exaggerated Singing Silly Songs help because it surprises him that it's coming from you! Make up songs that have his name every other word, helps. Just try it once...I bet a nickel you'll like it!

Do you have anything to tie/support across the waist,gently but firmly while you are changing diapers?

HUGS,
Carolyn J
Carolyn J
Adult LOBPI
Joanie

Post by Joanie »

Amy,

I have no advice for you about changing diapers. I just wanted to say that I'm praying that all goes well for you with your surgery and recovery.

Joanie
Kath
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: I am ROBPI, global injury, Horner's Syndrome. No surgery but PT started at 2 weeks old under the direction of New York Hospital. I wore a brace 24/7 for the first 11 months of my life. I've never let my injury be used as an excuse not to do something. I've approach all things, in life, as a challenge. I approach anything new wondering if I can do it. I tried so many things I might never have tried, if I were not obpi. Being OBPI has made me strong, creative, more determined and persistent. I believe that being obpi has given me a very strong sense of humor and compassion for others.

Post by Kath »

Amy
Practice, Practice, Practice NOW!!!

I always changed my children on the floor because I was afraid I would loose my grip on them as they rolled around.

Please talk to the doctors to see what they think of you doing this work so soon after surgery.
I assume it would be OK but I would check just to make sure.

8 month old's are unpredictable when you are trying to change them. They are also very strong!

Good Luck with the diapers.

I will be praying for a great result from your surgery.

Kath adult/robpi
Kath robpi/adult

Kathleen Mallozzi
hope16_05

Post by hope16_05 »

Thanks every one! I asked this question on the tbpi board too and they have given me some tips I think I can use. I should practice them tonight when I go get my nephew from day care. If I cant do it so soon after my surgery I have back up, we have a family friends that can help or my mom works not too far away and I will still be able to drive. Or my dad should be around most times too although I dont think he will be much good at diapers, lol weak stomach!

Lasy time I had surgery it was on a Tuesday and I went back to work full time the next Monday. Mayo plans to keep me a week so I should be ready to go! But I will make sure its ok with my dr. I am not going to screw this one up.

Thanks again!!!
Hugs,
Amy