HOW TO BE A NEW BPI MOMMY?

This board is for adults and teens to discuss issues relating to BPI since birth (OBPI).
Kath
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: I am ROBPI, global injury, Horner's Syndrome. No surgery but PT started at 2 weeks old under the direction of New York Hospital. I wore a brace 24/7 for the first 11 months of my life. I've never let my injury be used as an excuse not to do something. I've approach all things, in life, as a challenge. I approach anything new wondering if I can do it. I tried so many things I might never have tried, if I were not obpi. Being OBPI has made me strong, creative, more determined and persistent. I believe that being obpi has given me a very strong sense of humor and compassion for others.

Re: HOW TO BE A NEW BPI MOMMY?

Post by Kath »

Kimberly
I told my kids the "story" how the doctor pressed too hard and then saved my mother's and my life... My kids just always accepted it but my grandchildren are different.
My oldest granddaughter does not like to talk about it because my daughter says she feels bad...
The other kids like me to tell them.
One of my 5 year old granddaughter always asks which arm and then gives it a kiss and little pat...
They all understand something I cannot do.
They don't really care as long as they can climb all over me and sit next to me...

Traci never underestimate the baby, you will be surprised how much he understands as tiny as he is.
I lover overalls it kept my kids from falling.

Kath (adult/robpi)
Kath robpi/adult

Kathleen Mallozzi
brandonsmom

Post by brandonsmom »

Bumping to the top for Carolyn !!!
Carolyn J
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI. I am 77 yrs old and never had a name for my injuries until 2004 when I found UBPN at age 66.

My injuries are: LOBPI on upper body and Cerebrael Palsy on the lower left extremities. The only intervention I've had is a tendon transplant from my left leg to my left foot to enable flexing t age 24 in 1962. Before that, my foot would freeze without notice on the side when wearing heels AND I always did wear them at work "to fit in" I also stuttered until around age 18-19...just outgrew it...no therapy for it. Also suffered from very very low self esteem; severe Depression and Anxiety attacks started at menopause. I stuffed emotions and over-compensated in every thing I did to "fit in" and be "invisible". My injuries were Never addressed or talked about until age 66. I am a late bloomer!!!!!

I welcome any and all questions about "My Journey".
There is NO SUCH THING AS A DUMB QUESTION.
Sharing helps to Heal. HUGS do too.

Post by Carolyn J »

THANKS, Gayle!! ...
I just knew it was somewhere!.

HUgs,
Carolyn J
Carolyn J
Adult LOBPI
joseph

Post by joseph »

Loise,
Your advise may not have helped Traci but it sure helped me, mother of Joseph 8months old w/ Lobpi. Well I guess your advise is good for all mothers. Enjoy your babies being babies because it goes by too quickly. Enjoy the stinky diapers, the crying fits, the clinging to your legs when your trying to cook, as well as all the heart melting moments. Thanks Loise for your advise.
Breonna, Proud mommy to Joseph
veggiebug
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: I weighed 11 lbs. 4 oz. when I was born.
I was delivered by forceps which resulted in my ROBPI.
I've never had any surgical intervention.

Post by veggiebug »

Sorry I haven't been on lately, he's a busy boy these days, and it's hard to find time at the computer anymore.

I found myself doing the most wonderful thing today. Each day I go into Daycare to get him I look over an see his coat high up on the rack, but Jack wants to be picked up immediately and doesn't want me to put him back down. So I picked him up, and stood next to the coat for a brief moment, when I shifted him to my BPI arm and held him while I grabbed his coat. No support from my knee under his butt, which is normally how I do things. Just my arm for a brief wonderful moment. I believe his gradual growing and someday's being forced to use my BPI arm more than usual has helped strengthen it. I don't know how long I could have held him, but I might just try again after I post this, just to see how I made that work.

I was so nervous before I had him, now I feel more confident, and much stronger. It's also great since he's crawling all the time. I think me non-BPI wrist has gotten a bit of a rest from holding him all the time.

Take care everyone! I'll try to post sooner next time.

-Traci
Kath
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: I am ROBPI, global injury, Horner's Syndrome. No surgery but PT started at 2 weeks old under the direction of New York Hospital. I wore a brace 24/7 for the first 11 months of my life. I've never let my injury be used as an excuse not to do something. I've approach all things, in life, as a challenge. I approach anything new wondering if I can do it. I tried so many things I might never have tried, if I were not obpi. Being OBPI has made me strong, creative, more determined and persistent. I believe that being obpi has given me a very strong sense of humor and compassion for others.

Post by Kath »

Traci

I am so happy to see you are feeling more confident.

As a parent we learn to trust our gut and learn that we can do more than we ever imagines...

Glad to hear Jack is growing in leaps and bounds and become a big boy.

Please keep us posted when you can.
Kath robpi/adult
Kath robpi/adult

Kathleen Mallozzi
Carolyn J
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI. I am 77 yrs old and never had a name for my injuries until 2004 when I found UBPN at age 66.

My injuries are: LOBPI on upper body and Cerebrael Palsy on the lower left extremities. The only intervention I've had is a tendon transplant from my left leg to my left foot to enable flexing t age 24 in 1962. Before that, my foot would freeze without notice on the side when wearing heels AND I always did wear them at work "to fit in" I also stuttered until around age 18-19...just outgrew it...no therapy for it. Also suffered from very very low self esteem; severe Depression and Anxiety attacks started at menopause. I stuffed emotions and over-compensated in every thing I did to "fit in" and be "invisible". My injuries were Never addressed or talked about until age 66. I am a late bloomer!!!!!

Post by Carolyn J »

Traci,
I am sooo glad to hear that "MY" Jack and you too are growing together in leaps & bounds! You both are doing terrific as I just knew you would...and be Okay too. We BPI-er's surprise ourselves at how much stronger our BPI arms get when we must use them....We just have to watch and don't over-use all in one day, but just a little each day helps our unaffected arm take a rest.

Keep on,you're doing fantastic!

HUGS for all 3 of you,
Gramma Carolyn J :)'s
Carolyn J
Adult LOBPI
Carolyn J

Post by Carolyn J »

BUMPING UP FOR new Mommy

Carolyn J
LOBPI/70
Carolyn J
Adult LOBPI
Carolyn J

Post by Carolyn J »

BUMPING UP FOR COURTNEY.....YAYYYYYY!! :)
"Gramma" Carolyn J
LOBPI/70
Carolyn J
Adult LOBPI
Carolyn J

Post by Carolyn J »

BUMPING UP FOR NEW MOMMIE TO BE...WELCOME!!
Carolyn J
LOBPI/70
Carolyn J
Adult LOBPI