HOW TO BE A NEW BPI MOMMY?

This board is for adults and teens to discuss issues relating to BPI since birth (OBPI).
Carolyn J
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI. I am 77 yrs old and never had a name for my injuries until 2004 when I found UBPN at age 66.

My injuries are: LOBPI on upper body and Cerebrael Palsy on the lower left extremities. The only intervention I've had is a tendon transplant from my left leg to my left foot to enable flexing t age 24 in 1962. Before that, my foot would freeze without notice on the side when wearing heels AND I always did wear them at work "to fit in" I also stuttered until around age 18-19...just outgrew it...no therapy for it. Also suffered from very very low self esteem; severe Depression and Anxiety attacks started at menopause. I stuffed emotions and over-compensated in every thing I did to "fit in" and be "invisible". My injuries were Never addressed or talked about until age 66. I am a late bloomer!!!!!

I welcome any and all questions about "My Journey".
There is NO SUCH THING AS A DUMB QUESTION.
Sharing helps to Heal. HUGS do too.

Re: HOW TO BE A NEW BPI MOMMY?

Post by Carolyn J »

Hi Traci,
I guess "How to's of Being a Mommy with BPI" is clearer but we all will adventually get it when our minds are wandering...don't worry Louise...I do it all of the time.I even re-read something 3 times before I reply when I'm moved to reply to a post...LOL

Traci I love to hear/read your tidbits!!
Many HUGS to everyone,
Carolyn J
Carolyn J
Adult LOBPI
veggiebug
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: I weighed 11 lbs. 4 oz. when I was born.
I was delivered by forceps which resulted in my ROBPI.
I've never had any surgical intervention.

Post by veggiebug »

Sorry for the confusion everyone. I forgot to log in the day I made this thread.

I find changing Jack lower than me is harder because I don't have as much control over him. When he's up higher I make out better.

Also I've been nursing him in bad lying down but it hurts my shoulder to lay on my BP side, so I started putting my arm under his head when I lay on the side. And my arm is more in front of me than under me.

I tried using the sling but he gets lost in it, a friend of mine says they work better when the babies get bigger. I just felt he got almost folded up in it.

Well, I must go Jack need to be fed.

-Traci
Carolyn J
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI. I am 77 yrs old and never had a name for my injuries until 2004 when I found UBPN at age 66.

My injuries are: LOBPI on upper body and Cerebrael Palsy on the lower left extremities. The only intervention I've had is a tendon transplant from my left leg to my left foot to enable flexing t age 24 in 1962. Before that, my foot would freeze without notice on the side when wearing heels AND I always did wear them at work "to fit in" I also stuttered until around age 18-19...just outgrew it...no therapy for it. Also suffered from very very low self esteem; severe Depression and Anxiety attacks started at menopause. I stuffed emotions and over-compensated in every thing I did to "fit in" and be "invisible". My injuries were Never addressed or talked about until age 66. I am a late bloomer!!!!!

Post by Carolyn J »

Traci,
I smile every time you post on this Topic Thread.It brings back vivid memories of me & son Scott.
Keep on keepin' on, your're a great Mom!
Give Jack a big hug from his "UBPN Granny" please.

Here's a <<<<BIG HUG))))) for you & Jon too,
Carolyn J
Carolyn J
Adult LOBPI
brandonsmom

Post by brandonsmom »

Tracy, Back when my son was little (wow that was 18 years ago now, I found a changing pad with a little (about 3 inch) lip on it. It by no means kept him from falling off, but gave me time to react. BTW, I am not BPI. Hope you are enjoying little JACK !!! GAYLE
kissygoose

Post by kissygoose »

Tracy...I love my changing pad. It's got a good dip in it that kept the twins (at least when they were younger) from rolling over to far. Like you it was a lot easier when they were higher up like on a changing table. Oh and the pad I have attaches to just about anything. Now it's not such a great help and I have to change them on the floor (Sandy mostly) so I can use my legs to hold her down.

Ok, now I have a question from the older moms. How do you run herd on two kids outside when you don't have a fenced in yard? Sandy adores going outside but I don't take them out unless I have another person with me because I can't deal with both of them. Sandy is very mobile (walking running) but Stevie is still just crawling. Stevie also has sensory issues and hates being outside. Keeping them indoors all the time is really becoming a problem with Sandy. I desperatley need advice. I feel like a total failure because I can't take my daughter who loves the outdoors out.
Kath
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: I am ROBPI, global injury, Horner's Syndrome. No surgery but PT started at 2 weeks old under the direction of New York Hospital. I wore a brace 24/7 for the first 11 months of my life. I've never let my injury be used as an excuse not to do something. I've approach all things, in life, as a challenge. I approach anything new wondering if I can do it. I tried so many things I might never have tried, if I were not obpi. Being OBPI has made me strong, creative, more determined and persistent. I believe that being obpi has given me a very strong sense of humor and compassion for others.

Post by Kath »

Christina

I did not have twins but my first two children are 14 months apart.
This was a problem because my children were early walkers ... I had one running and an 9 month old climbing and running away outside without a fenced in yard... I use to go crazy!
If I had it to do over my yard would be fenced before we bought food!... LOL....

When I had my third child the girls were 4 & 5 and I stayed outside whenever they were out, to watch them.
Again no fence... dumb but true...

I bought a play yard for my son and put a large blanket/quilt on the grass because he hated the feel of the grass!
I put tons of toy in it with him, even ride on toys.
I could sit near or in the yard with him and keep an eye on the girls as they played.
The prince off the grass and happy.

He was running at 8 month old and I could not grab him.
He was also big for his age and my arms were giving out.
I thought I would hate penning him up like that once he walked. But it was a safety issue for all three at that time. I could not chase him and stay with the girls.

I started to use the play yard when he was still crawling and only used it for short periods at first and then could use it up to an hour at a time.
He complained at first but I had to keep him safe and I had no one around to help when the kids were small.

I have 5 grandchildren and 2 of my granddaughters are the same age. (2 weeks apart). My daughter and DIL used the play yard when we had lots of company and the girls played in it together and were safe from the other kids playing and adults accidentally tripping over them.
Many of the play yards are expandable and great for use indoors as well as outdoors.

Kath (robpi/adult)
Kath robpi/adult

Kathleen Mallozzi
kamren

Post by kamren »

Wow! That would be hard! With mine, they were all at least 2 years apart, so the older one(s) could "help" Mommy. This was especially true for our youngest who siblings were 11, 9, 7, and 5 when he was born.

I think I would try to keep outside time, without any fence, down to a bare minimum, unless I had someone with me to help. I know it seems like it would be unfair, but for safety's sake, I would feel it was best for me. I know I couldn't do it.
brandonsmom

Post by brandonsmom »

I had a play yard as Kath suggested. It saved me. You can buy additional pieces to make it bigger if you need too. My children were older too..11,7,3, and 1 so I did have some help. Check into the play yard. They tend to be a little expensive...check into the thrift stores....GAYLE
Carolyn J

Post by Carolyn J »

Hi MOms,
Is there a neighbor girl,8,9,10,11 nearby who loves young toddlers? they make wonderful "helpers".I remember giving them a piece of my "junk jewery" for helping me pick up toys etc...something easy,& girls loved it(when I was short of $$).
HUGS,
Carolyn J
Carolyn J
Adult LOBPI
Kath
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: I am ROBPI, global injury, Horner's Syndrome. No surgery but PT started at 2 weeks old under the direction of New York Hospital. I wore a brace 24/7 for the first 11 months of my life. I've never let my injury be used as an excuse not to do something. I've approach all things, in life, as a challenge. I approach anything new wondering if I can do it. I tried so many things I might never have tried, if I were not obpi. Being OBPI has made me strong, creative, more determined and persistent. I believe that being obpi has given me a very strong sense of humor and compassion for others.

Post by Kath »

Cristina

I searched the internet for the play yard.

This is the one both my daughter & daughter in law bought with extensions.

Now I see they have a shade for it.

http://www.onestepahead.com/jump.jsp?lG ... 0Superyard

It is well worth the money for your peace of mind.
It can be used in the house for safety when you just have to contain one or both of the kids.

Kath/robpi/adult
Kath robpi/adult

Kathleen Mallozzi