HOW TO BE A NEW BPI MOMMY?

This board is for adults and teens to discuss issues relating to BPI since birth (OBPI).
admin
Site Admin

HOW TO BE A NEW BPI MOMMY?

Post by admin »

I've decided to go with Carolyn J's suggestion and start a new thread.

The other day I went to the mall and I was changing him in the bathroom. He's getting stronger so he kept pushing himself towards the edge of the changing table. I could have used 2 extra hands during that process, it took me a lot longer to change him this time. I hope as he gets bigger he realizes he has to cooperate with me more. Guess we'll see.

I start back to work tomorrow. YUCK!!! I'm going to miss him so much. But I think it really will be good for him to be with other babies and in a different setting for a while each day. The great thing is it's only part time, my husband will be with him at home till 11:00 AM.

Most of my issues so far are ones I bet all mothers run into when it's your first baby. With each new challenge I prevail!

-Traci
marieke
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI
no external rotation against gravity, can only go to 90 degree fwd flexion, no hand-to-mouth
1 surgery at age 14 (latissimus dorsi transfer). In 2004, at age 28 I was struck with Transverse Myelitis which paralyzed me from the chest down. I recovered movement to my right leg, but need a KAFO to walk on my left leg. I became an RN in 2008.

Re: HOW TO BE A NEW BPI MOMMY?

Post by marieke »

Hi Louise, Traci is the one with BPI, not her baby.
Marieke :)
Marieke Dufresne RN
34, LOBPI
http://nurse-to-be08.blogspot.com
Judy-T
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Right arm OBPI One surgery at age 40 Ulnar nerve retransposition

Post by Judy-T »

I use to carry a changing mat with me and would lay it on the ground. I found it much easier changing her that way. I also use to use the inside of my trunk alot, that way when she squirmed while changing her she would not get hurt.
marieke
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI
no external rotation against gravity, can only go to 90 degree fwd flexion, no hand-to-mouth
1 surgery at age 14 (latissimus dorsi transfer). In 2004, at age 28 I was struck with Transverse Myelitis which paralyzed me from the chest down. I recovered movement to my right leg, but need a KAFO to walk on my left leg. I became an RN in 2008.

Post by marieke »

No worries Louise, LOL. Traci used to post under the name "veggiebug", maybe that helps?
Talk to you soon (well.. "talk" as in post, hehe)
Mariek
Marieke Dufresne RN
34, LOBPI
http://nurse-to-be08.blogspot.com
kamren

Post by kamren »

I rarely changed my 5 on a changing table....it was hard to do. When I was out, I would go to the car and change them....It was a whole lot easier. I think the slope of the seat also made it harder for them to roll...therefore, easier for me!
hope16_05
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: 28 years old with a right obstetrical brachial plexus injury. 5 surgeries to date with pretty decent results. Last surgery resolved years of pain in my right arm however, I am beginning my journey with overuse in my left arm

Post by hope16_05 »

Kamren, thats a really good idea! Thanks for the tip, I will have to remember that for the future or when I babysit.
Amy 19 ROBPI from MN
Amy 28 years old ROBPI from MN
kamren

Post by kamren »

At home I always changed them on the sofa for the same reason....the slope helps alot!:)
kissygoose

Post by kissygoose »

My Stevie was an extremely clingy child. He wanted to be held all the time as an infant (still does really). Of course carrying him around all the time was really hard on my arm. My friend suggested using a sling. It became my best friend. I could wear it on my good shoulder and because of the way it's made the weight isn't just on a small strap but distributed over the entire shoulder so it doesn't cause as much pain. It allowed me to have two free hands and no weight on my affected sholder at all.

For diaper changing I change them so that their feet are right in frong of me rather than from the side. I also make sure I have something to distract them to keep them from sqwirming. It worked real well till recently. Sandy still will do real well if we play peek a boo while we change her diaper.