What should I ask/write?

This board is for adults and teens to discuss issues relating to BPI since birth (OBPI).
Beckyerin

Re: What should I ask/write?

Post by Beckyerin »

I have been a patient of Dr. Adelson's for close to a year. I am an adult(26 years old)that has developed constant pain(in my ROBPI arm)in the last year. I would email him before making the trip. I live in pittsburgh and so it is easy for me but I will say that his treatment approach is very conservative. The best he has been able to offer me is neurontin and physical therapy. In June I am having exploratory BPI
surgery with him to see if there is any scar tissue due to oversuse that might be contribting to my constant burning pain but he has told me its probably
not a miracle cure.
I think him a very capable Dr. but what he told me is that there is just nothing in studies done before that would suggest an effective treatment for adults who have developed pain due to this injury. Your case might be different and so seeing him might
yeild answers different to mine! I just wanted to share my experience in case you are far from pittsburgh
I do want to say that I respect him a lot so I would shoot him and email describing symptoms to and see what he says. He's a good Dr and has really made an effort to try and help me.Good luck!
Becky
Carolyn J
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI. I am 77 yrs old and never had a name for my injuries until 2004 when I found UBPN at age 66.

My injuries are: LOBPI on upper body and Cerebrael Palsy on the lower left extremities. The only intervention I've had is a tendon transplant from my left leg to my left foot to enable flexing t age 24 in 1962. Before that, my foot would freeze without notice on the side when wearing heels AND I always did wear them at work "to fit in" I also stuttered until around age 18-19...just outgrew it...no therapy for it. Also suffered from very very low self esteem; severe Depression and Anxiety attacks started at menopause. I stuffed emotions and over-compensated in every thing I did to "fit in" and be "invisible". My injuries were Never addressed or talked about until age 66. I am a late bloomer!!!!!

I welcome any and all questions about "My Journey".
There is NO SUCH THING AS A DUMB QUESTION.
Sharing helps to Heal. HUGS do too.

Re: What should I ask/write?

Post by Carolyn J »

Christy,
Your questions are very good. Then I would follow Becky's suggestion to itemize ALL symptoms AND location; also list what Activities of Daily Living you no longer are able to do that you USED to do and how long ago it's been since you've been unable to do each one and/or that you've need assistance with or someone to do the specific activity for you. The more specific you are the better. This email to Dr. Adelson, and get a copy of your Consult with him when you go, will all help with your Soc. Sec. Application for Disability Benefits WHICH YOU DESERVE. Now that Brachial Plexus Injuries will/are included in the List of qualifiying Disabilities, thanks to Nancy & Kathleen & others who went to New York last year, it will really help you to documement EVERYTHING you can re your pain issues, secondary medical issues and changes in your ability to do specific Activities of Daily Living for yourself and the twins.

Golly have I rambled enough??...LOL(once a social worker, it's always in my blood to document, document,document!!)I may help you to review that S.S. Disability Topic Thread that Kath posted alot about & use it as a guide.It was a good one!

Love & hugs to you and the twins,
Carolyn J
Carolyn J
Adult LOBPI
kissygoose

What should I ask/write?

Post by kissygoose »

I'm sorry I haven't been around lately. We have very full weeks with all of the twins' therapies and it takes a lot out of me so I don't get on the comp much anymore.

Anyway, I called Dr. Adleson in Pittsburgh today to see about getting an appointment. I spoke to the lady who does all the new scheduling. She suggested that I email Dr. Adleson and ask him a lot of my questions in regards to whether or not he would see me and if it would be worth it for me to go down. She said he might want to see my records before hand and such. The thing is I'm not exactly sure what to write? He's mostly a pediatric neurosurgeon but I'm told he does see some adults. Can you guys give me some ideas of the major things I need to write. Here are some of the questions I have so far.

1 Do you only see patients wanting surgery?
2 What is your approach to treating adults with OBPI?
3 Can I be orriginally evaluated and treated with you and then have a plan put in place for my local professionals to carry out?

Thanks

Last bumped by Anonymous on Thu May 29, 2014 4:27 pm.