Self esteem post,......Wow.

This board is for adults and teens to discuss issues relating to BPI since birth (OBPI).
Master DIVER TOM

Re: Self esteem post,......Wow.

Post by Master DIVER TOM »

What Carolyn said about State Division Vocational retaining is fact ;) I got a degree in Animation that way. Never did become Walt Disney :( But I did end up Driving a Semi with birth erbs for 25 years till my good arm got ripe up driving semis. Having two mess up arms really sucks. I have plenty of dark days because of this. :shock: What did not suck was the life long training to adapt from my birth erbs to adapt now have to be left with less in my once good arm. :( What I hated was the time when my semi driving days were over :( I Love driving a semi and I end up with no accidents in 25 years of doing it :shock: Some doctors hassled me for my Physicals D.O.T ever 2 years because of my limitation of birth erbs and finding a truck line to hire me had its problem to. The positive was my years of safe driving that past my needed physical and why I end up getting Chicago local Semi trucking driving jobs. So for me the negative of not driving semis or ever working again at any job is what is, It sucks but I really believe that having the safe years of driving semi was a act of god ;) So for me, I choose to be Positive about my life time of trying in-spite of what did not work out over time. Switching off the neg. and focusing on the positive is a life long quest to do to :roll: ;)
There is not sugar coating for none of us it more about inspiring a person to move forwards by as you have seen by alot of caring people who really know how you fell for real ;) The hardest thing is when we find to much Negative and no way to overcome continuing situation as new one come up. Then no matter what , when this happens you need to remember the things you did find a way to do in-spite of the limitation you have done. Giving yourself time to work on what Bugs you because of a new Neg. disappointment sucks, but you and all of us get past it to a point by how creative and the :idea: we come up with Sometimes to adapt ;) What sucks is the time period between the problem and fining out if we can adapt or not :shock: The negative becomes a unresolved problem trying to overcome will we have accept it???? :roll: At best trys that did not work out??? if you give it your best then you never fail because you tried ;) You can still see it as a positive ;) You can tell this to by the post that were given to,I think :roll:
You should talk to a counseling to :roll: but if something, I, we or you may Share to help by posting is one of the best things we can share with a person of need. Its like talking to yourself in a mirror ,but the image you see is the person your posting to by our something like injuries. :shock:
There really is amazing thing that happen on this sight , Alot of times when others need help by post they end up Giving help to ;) :D
That is positive in a situation of negativity we all find ourself in and the real try to move someone forward by the best answer we can share ;) This maybe one of the most positive things you can find by posting by our experience to give a person a possible direction to adapt or a thought of coping with life challenges we face because of our limitations, We can only hope this happens by our post :roll:
Hope this helps?? :shock:
Tom
WeslynGray
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: I am ROBPI born in 1975. I have Klumpke's and Erb's so limited movement at shoulder, clawed hand, no supination or pronation etc. Had a tendon transfer in 1992, another tendon surgery in my fingers in 1996. Had fingers fused in 2001 due to pain.

Post by WeslynGray »

I was called "One-armed Slut" when I was in Grade 3. I went home crying. My Dad said "which part are you crying about, the one-armed part, or the slut part?" I said "the one-armed part...I don't even know what a slut is!"
He proceeded to explain it to me.
:lol:
My Dad is nothing, if not logical.

I never had a problem with Nemo. I use him as a facebook profile pic. It was the first time I had ever seen someone (fish?) like me on TV. I always figured I'm Nemo with my special "fin."
In the Spirit of Friendship,

Weslyn :)
Master DIVER TOM

Post by Master DIVER TOM »

Interesting :shock:
The things, That challenges us :roll: over time :roll:
When I was little I was called Stud arm but I had to fight my way out of name calling :evil: :twisted: .
Because I scuba dive and being a Padi master dive , Nemo stuck to :shock: :D
For me, I try to help my self esteem when I try to stay positive by the new thing I can adapt to over time :D Some do some do not :roll: But then there is the courage that grows over a life time to keep trying and trying again ;) It that word word Courage we all have over time ;)
We all have our post, Just like this. ;) :D + courage to try and are posted outcomes here ;) :D
One of the hardest thing for me was my first post here :shock: . But :roll: I found it better to share what we can by posting to share an inspire, Who we can????? ;) :D
We Hope???????????? :shock:
Mr Positive :shock:
Tom
PS :roll: I like faces better than periods :shock: :lol: Its fun ;)
Carolyn J
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI. I am 77 yrs old and never had a name for my injuries until 2004 when I found UBPN at age 66.

My injuries are: LOBPI on upper body and Cerebrael Palsy on the lower left extremities. The only intervention I've had is a tendon transplant from my left leg to my left foot to enable flexing t age 24 in 1962. Before that, my foot would freeze without notice on the side when wearing heels AND I always did wear them at work "to fit in" I also stuttered until around age 18-19...just outgrew it...no therapy for it. Also suffered from very very low self esteem; severe Depression and Anxiety attacks started at menopause. I stuffed emotions and over-compensated in every thing I did to "fit in" and be "invisible". My injuries were Never addressed or talked about until age 66. I am a late bloomer!!!!!

I welcome any and all questions about "My Journey".
There is NO SUCH THING AS A DUMB QUESTION.
Sharing helps to Heal. HUGS do too.

Post by Carolyn J »

"yolie40",
Just a note to share,... I can testify, getting counselling was a turning point for me because i had "stuffed" sooo much in my life, I couldn't get peace and comfort on my own and I didn't want to burden my BPI(ERbs Palsy) friends with my "drama stories" and my Sibs never "go there" with me for their own reasons.
Carolyn J
LOBPI/74
jemorrison
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: ROBPI

Post by jemorrison »

I grew up in a very Latino neighborhood and got the nickname "quebrado". The English speaking kids called me "dead arm". The teasing was relentless and went from 2nd grade until I dropped out of school as a sophomore. I was beaten up and pranked. One time, as we were running in groups in grade school a kid that was running next to me tried to get me in trouble by yelling out to the teacher that I had elbowed him (because my elbow stuck way out when I ran). The teacher saw what he was doing and he was made to sit on the bench for recess but he still laughed and teased me from where he sat. Just a few years ago when, I was in my late 20's, a coworker began teasing me about it. I dont understand it. I guess some people need to hurt other people in order to feel better about themselves?
Carolyn J
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI. I am 77 yrs old and never had a name for my injuries until 2004 when I found UBPN at age 66.

My injuries are: LOBPI on upper body and Cerebrael Palsy on the lower left extremities. The only intervention I've had is a tendon transplant from my left leg to my left foot to enable flexing t age 24 in 1962. Before that, my foot would freeze without notice on the side when wearing heels AND I always did wear them at work "to fit in" I also stuttered until around age 18-19...just outgrew it...no therapy for it. Also suffered from very very low self esteem; severe Depression and Anxiety attacks started at menopause. I stuffed emotions and over-compensated in every thing I did to "fit in" and be "invisible". My injuries were Never addressed or talked about until age 66. I am a late bloomer!!!!!

I welcome any and all questions about "My Journey".
There is NO SUCH THING AS A DUMB QUESTION.
Sharing helps to Heal. HUGS do too.

Post by Carolyn J »

[quote][I guess some people need to hurt other people in order to feel better about themselves?/quote]

You got that right, jemorrison !
Carolyn J
LOBPI/74++++ 8-)