Speech delay when to worry?

Forum for parents of injured who are seeking information from other parents or people living with the injury. All welcome
sarahmae

Re: Speech delay when to worry?

Post by sarahmae »

Hi Carron,
I don't really have personal experience with this, but a good friend had a little boy about the same age, with the same things. They diagnosed him with Apraxia. Have you ever heard of this before. My understanding is that it may be distantly related to autisim. He is out growing it though. He is 5 now, and has been in EI classes, and Head start. It has made a huge difference.
Sarah
tina arvizu

Post by tina arvizu »

Hi Carron, Gabrielle had (has) a speech delay as well. By the time she was two she had a very small vocabulary. She could say all her numbers (1-10) and knew all her letters by sight but the words were just not coming. I said she would be able to read before she could talk. She just turned 3 last week and her speech has come a long way. Really started conversation in the past month or two. At first we were told some pretty scary things autisim, brain damage ect. She was tested just two weeks ago by the school district and she tested very very high. When I said autisim to her physical therapist she laughed her head off. Gabrielle has always done things her own way and in her own time. Now I look back and am very glad I didn't start speech therapy before she had a chance to do it on her own. She has enough therapy in her life. Now if I could just get her to go on the potty!!!! Good luck. Tina
julie715

Post by julie715 »

Don't have much enlightening information to add, but my son (20 mos) is also having speech therapy. He is slowly adding words, but does not follow simple commands at all. I once posted here asking if anyone had heard of speech delays being related to OBPI. Our pediatrician said she's not surprised he's not saying much considering all he's been through (2 surgeries and all the testing and therapy). I try not to worry about it and do the usual things like reading to him, naming things, etc. I've had lots of people share that their non BPI child experienced the same thing and then suddenly begin talking very well. Who knows what's "normal?"

Julie
carron

Speech delay when to worry?

Post by carron »

Well, Therapist are telling us Thomas should be talking more than he is. He is getting speech from E.I. but only once a month. His P.T. had a point she thought a lot of Thomas' frustation " having a fitt" is because he can't communticate how he is feeling or what he wants. He is learning to sign some and will say a few word he will be 2 May 7. I know this is the one thing he will need more to get through life is to learn how to communicate. We have had his hearing tested it was fine but they could not test him by putting the things in his ears for he would not stop crying long enough to let them. They took us in a room and made sounds and watched to see if he would turn his head to the sound.. What are your thoughts??

Last bumped by Anonymous on Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:03 am.