any canadians??

Forum for parents of injured who are seeking information from other parents or people living with the injury. All welcome
admin
Site Admin

any canadians??

Post by admin »

Hello,

I was wondering if there are any canadians who are directly/indirectly affected by brachial plexus injuries who contribute to this message board....and if so I was wondering what type of canadian organizations/aid/support groups are available you are receiving with regards to B.P. injuries. Any information is greatly appreciated!!!

Anita
Tami

Re: any canadians??

Post by Tami »

Hi Anita,

click on the link for 2002 Awareness and that will take you to some other options, at the bottom is a box with world wide support groups and click on Canada.

Good luck,
Tami Schenc
Phoenix AZ

Lenni

Post by Lenni »

Hi Anita, we live in BC, where are you located? I will send you an e mail although I do not have much to tell! LOL

lenni
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Lenni!

I live in Kingston, Ontario.
I would really appreciate an email about anything that you have to say!
francine

Post by francine »

Hi Anita - here's the support group listing we have for Canada (it's found at http://ubpn.org/awareness - worldwide support groups)

Erb's Palsy Support Group
71 Terrace Avenue
L3C 6K1 Welland
Ontario, Canada
Joanne Boyce

Canada - West Coast Erbs Palsy Support Group
Kim Lane
#328-5411 208th Ave
Langley, BC V3A 6X6

Brachial Plexus/Erb's Palsy Support Group
Albita Perez-Zuniga
35 Letty Ave.
Brampton,Ontario
L6Y 4T3
(905) 452-8202
albita@interactive.rogers.com

I hope that one of the groups is closeby to you and that you can connect!

Take care,
francine
http://www.injurednewborn.com
http://www.injurednewborn.com/maia/homepage.html
francine

Post by francine »

ps - check out this area of this site - there's a lot of information in there

http://ubpn.org/awareness

resources
erica

Post by erica »

Hi!
I don't post that often, so you may not be too familiar with me. Let me tell you a bit about myself.
I am from southern Alberta. I am 22 yrs old with a Robpi. I've only ever had surgery on my affected arm to remove a constriction band. I am right now seeking for surgery on my affected hand.
I am not involved with any support groups, as there are none in my area. Feel free to email me.
Erica:o)
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Erica,

Thank you for replying. How long have you had the injury for? Do you use any assistive devices? Are you working with a physiotherapist? If so, what would be the best advice you could offer a student in that field?

Anita
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

We're in Nova Scotia - our son was born in July, 2000 (robpi) and had nerve graft surgery at Sick Kids in Toronto in May, 2001 (C5-C8). You can e-mail me directly if you think I might be able to help with anything ... I don't normally follow this board.
Carla
erica

Post by erica »

Hi!
I recieved the injury at birth, so I have had it all my life(22 yrs). I weighed 13lbs 9oz.
The only assistive devices I have are my two splints, which I rarely use because I find them uncomfortable when I want to move around.
I was working with a physiotherapist. They put me on home exercises. I find it better for me personally to have the therapist do the manipulations for me. I don't get as discouraged about my arm that way.
My best advice is to go easy on the children. I had an awefull experience of PT as a child. They pushed my arm beyond it's limit. If a child says that what your doing hurts, listen.
I think thats about it for now.
Erica:o)