"Your Arm is Mistake?"

Forum for parents of injured who are seeking information from other parents or people living with the injury. All welcome
brittwitt
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI
Injured at birth. Moderate injury with no surgeries.

"Your Arm is Mistake?"

Post by brittwitt »

Hey everyone! I haven't posted in awhile but I just got back from a 10 day humanitarian trip through Global Brigades to Ghana (Africa) to build rain wáter storage units and latrines for an impoverished, rural community. I was with a lot of my friends from school and it was an amazing experience! I just wanted to share what it was like traveling and working with this injury. We basically did 5 days of physical labor to get the wáter storage unit constructed and it was really hard work, injury or not. I was careful not to overexert myself on either arm. I was able to shovel, mix, apply mortar to the walls, and build a wire frame but definitely didn't jump up first to carry giant concrete blocks around. It's pretty important to know your limits and I was able to contribute a ton without pushing too far. A couple of my friends already knew about my injury but I told the many of the others about it throughout the trip. It was never a big deal and the only time it was really mentioned was when people said I was pretty good at shoveling especially considering I'm doing it with 1.5 arms.

What I thought was funny was some of the locals' reactions. I was only asked about my arm a couple times total but it made me smile. The first time, a little girl ran up and looked at my arm and then said "hurt?". I nodded and just repeated "yes, hurt" and she nodded solemly then wanted to play. They barely spoke English so I couldn't really explain, but they honestly didn't seem to care anyway. Another time a little girl came up and said "your arm is mistake?." I started laughing because that is actually pretty accurate, and told her it was. The last time it was an adult who asked "hurt?" and when I told her it was she got a chair and wanted me to rest thinking I hurt it while working. She was so sweet and seemed a little confused when I tried to explain it was always hurt.

I've done similar work in Honduras and Panama as well and Public Health & Global Health are definitely passions of mine. I just wanted to say to never miss an opportunity to volunteer, travel, or pursue your passions because of this injury. I know that sometimes I worry that my injury will get in the way but it's never as bad as I think. Compensating is what we're good at and there's almost always a way! Signing up for a construction project of all things was a little daunting because I was worried there would be things I couldn't help with. But there was actually never a moment when I wasn't able to help in some way. You also can't be afraid to ask for help! When I had to get my carry-on in the overhead bin on the flight I awkwardly fumbled around awhile before realizing I was surrounded by plenty of friends and strangers who wouldn't mind getting it for me. At the work cite I wasn't the only one asking for someone to team up with me to carry heavy things and to get a substitute when shoveling too long. Working together is part of life and doing everything on your own isn't necessary!

Anyway, I just had a really great experience and wanted to share! :D Anybody else do volunteer work simlilar to this or have funny experiences explaining your injury in a foreign place?

Brittney, 21
LOBPI
Attachments
We had to seive sand to use for mortar and I was able to hold the filter pretty well so I helped with that a lot.
We had to seive sand to use for mortar and I was able to hold the filter pretty well so I helped with that a lot.
1011845_10151455481405592_1904369784_n.jpg (95.7 KiB) Viewed 6685 times
The people were so incredibly kind, loving, and welcoming. We had about 20 kids at the workcite everyday wanting to hold our hands, play, and pose for pictures. I miss them so much!
The people were so incredibly kind, loving, and welcoming. We had about 20 kids at the workcite everyday wanting to hold our hands, play, and pose for pictures. I miss them so much!
1005867_10151455547050592_2020738881_n.jpg (102.49 KiB) Viewed 6683 times
Carolyn J
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI. I am 77 yrs old and never had a name for my injuries until 2004 when I found UBPN at age 66.

My injuries are: LOBPI on upper body and Cerebrael Palsy on the lower left extremities. The only intervention I've had is a tendon transplant from my left leg to my left foot to enable flexing t age 24 in 1962. Before that, my foot would freeze without notice on the side when wearing heels AND I always did wear them at work "to fit in" I also stuttered until around age 18-19...just outgrew it...no therapy for it. Also suffered from very very low self esteem; severe Depression and Anxiety attacks started at menopause. I stuffed emotions and over-compensated in every thing I did to "fit in" and be "invisible". My injuries were Never addressed or talked about until age 66. I am a late bloomer!!!!!

I welcome any and all questions about "My Journey".
There is NO SUCH THING AS A DUMB QUESTION.
Sharing helps to Heal. HUGS do too.

Re: "Your Arm is Mistake?"

Post by Carolyn J »

THANK YOU!! for sharing, Britt. I am sure Moms and Dads will get alot of relief to know "our" OBPI children can do anything we put our minds to. Volunteering is a great reward of itself but learning your limits is sooo important when you are young!
I wish I were 20-30 years younger to do that too! What rewards! Your pictures are great!
Please post on the Facebook page of UBPN too. alot of new Families just go there,i discovered.

Keep On Keeping On,Britt! :D

HUGGZ
Carolyn J
LOBPI/75
Corinne

Post by Corinne »

My 14 year old daughter spent April school vacation working at soup kitchens, battered women's shelters, etc in NYC. It forced her to verbalize her limitations and explain her injury when classmates asked. So proud of her!
Master DIVER TOM

Post by Master DIVER TOM »

There is alot of good we learn overtime and a life time in adapting and finding real limitations we find ourselves in by doing so ;) We learn to think out of the box by our trys and what we can and cant do by our 1.5 arms :D Getting help when needed is part of Compassion we learn in posting or helping others out in the world ;) getting help from others is some times harder to do than offering help to others. :roll: It has always been a challenge for me to :shock:
Compassion we share is a true gift every time we encourage others to try to find there way in what we post or thing we try to help with out in the world to :D It is very hard to be in depression, when we are in the adapt mode or just helping others the best way we can ;) :D
Mr Positive :D
Tom :D
Carolyn J
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI. I am 77 yrs old and never had a name for my injuries until 2004 when I found UBPN at age 66.

My injuries are: LOBPI on upper body and Cerebrael Palsy on the lower left extremities. The only intervention I've had is a tendon transplant from my left leg to my left foot to enable flexing t age 24 in 1962. Before that, my foot would freeze without notice on the side when wearing heels AND I always did wear them at work "to fit in" I also stuttered until around age 18-19...just outgrew it...no therapy for it. Also suffered from very very low self esteem; severe Depression and Anxiety attacks started at menopause. I stuffed emotions and over-compensated in every thing I did to "fit in" and be "invisible". My injuries were Never addressed or talked about until age 66. I am a late bloomer!!!!!

I welcome any and all questions about "My Journey".
There is NO SUCH THING AS A DUMB QUESTION.
Sharing helps to Heal. HUGS do too.

Post by Carolyn J »

Good News, Corrine! A gift your daughter was given the opportunity to learn at the same time share her other gifts too.
WAY TO GO, "Corrine's Daughter". Your daughter is old enough to come on here and share too. It encourages and enlightens Parents and all of us adults too!

Carolyn J 8-) sometimes "Bossy"
LOBPI/75
prestonsmama

Post by prestonsmama »

That's awesome Brittney! You are an inspiration to many people. Looks like a fun trip too. I'd love to go on mission trips like that!

Thanks so much for sharing!

Carly

Last bumped by Anonymous on Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:51 pm.