Son chewing fingers

Forum for parents of injured who are seeking information from other parents or people living with the injury. All welcome
Breonna

Son chewing fingers

Post by Breonna »

Iv'e seen other posts about kids biting their nails until they bleed but most of them are babies. My son just turned 6 and he started biting the skin on his finger tips. He chews them even after they start bleeding. Once they start to scab he chews them again. What can I do to make him stop? Also, he chews his nails and peels them almost all the way off! Im worried that eventually they will stop growing back. He only has about 20% sensation in his left arm and hand. He's had injuries to his hand by placing his hand under hot water, cutting it on a metal measuring tape and other things but he doesn't notice until there is a visual cue such as bleeding or blistering. What can i do about the chewing?
Carolyn J
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI. I am 77 yrs old and never had a name for my injuries until 2004 when I found UBPN at age 66.

My injuries are: LOBPI on upper body and Cerebrael Palsy on the lower left extremities. The only intervention I've had is a tendon transplant from my left leg to my left foot to enable flexing t age 24 in 1962. Before that, my foot would freeze without notice on the side when wearing heels AND I always did wear them at work "to fit in" I also stuttered until around age 18-19...just outgrew it...no therapy for it. Also suffered from very very low self esteem; severe Depression and Anxiety attacks started at menopause. I stuffed emotions and over-compensated in every thing I did to "fit in" and be "invisible". My injuries were Never addressed or talked about until age 66. I am a late bloomer!!!!!

I welcome any and all questions about "My Journey".
There is NO SUCH THING AS A DUMB QUESTION.
Sharing helps to Heal. HUGS do too.

Re: Son chewing fingers

Post by Carolyn J »

Mom,
Please Consult with your Pediatrician as it sounds like a STRESS related problem...OR a PAIN ISSUE somewhere on his body does he tell you when it hurts somewhere? Stress at School? Does he have words to express pain and or hurt Emotional or Physical? YOur Pediatrician can help you with this one.I hope the Dr. is knowledgeable about OBPI pain.
Please keep us updated.
Carolyn J
LOBPI/74+
Corinne

Post by Corinne »

My 14 year old is also a biter and picker. The tips of her fingers, nails and cuticles are often bloody. She says she does this when she is bored. Because she can't feel it, she really makes a mess of her fingers. I, too, welcome suggestions on how to stop this behavior.
Carolyn J
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI. I am 77 yrs old and never had a name for my injuries until 2004 when I found UBPN at age 66.

My injuries are: LOBPI on upper body and Cerebrael Palsy on the lower left extremities. The only intervention I've had is a tendon transplant from my left leg to my left foot to enable flexing t age 24 in 1962. Before that, my foot would freeze without notice on the side when wearing heels AND I always did wear them at work "to fit in" I also stuttered until around age 18-19...just outgrew it...no therapy for it. Also suffered from very very low self esteem; severe Depression and Anxiety attacks started at menopause. I stuffed emotions and over-compensated in every thing I did to "fit in" and be "invisible". My injuries were Never addressed or talked about until age 66. I am a late bloomer!!!!!

Post by Carolyn J »

Because she can't feel it, she really makes a mess of her fingers....This is what is called a secondary injury of our OBPI'S.
Perhaps an Occupational Therapist can suggest strategies to stop the picking and biting.

Carolyn J
LOBPI/75 & Proud!
Carolyn J

Post by Carolyn J »

Good helpful post, xiggers . Please come back often. I learn from you too.
Carolyn J
LOBPI/75 8-)

Last bumped by Anonymous on Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:15 am.