Skin sensitivity question

Forum for parents of injured who are seeking information from other parents or people living with the injury. All welcome
prestonsmama

Skin sensitivity question

Post by prestonsmama »

I'm wondering if anyone else has issues with skin sensitivity on the affected arm in the sun? Everytime my 2yo son goes outside and it's warm and sunny his bpi arm gets red and warm. His other arm doesn't do that. Any thoughts and suggestions? Also wondering if there's any suggestions for natural, non-toxic sunblock/sunscreen that works well on skin like that?

Thanks!
Carly
Master DIVER TOM

Re: Skin sensitivity question

Post by Master DIVER TOM »

I have had my birth erbs arm turn red in the summer to purple in the winter driving semis, For me the deep red in summer and purple in the cold was just what it looks like, Colors of the skin was just part of my erbs , but never cause me a problem because of color.
But , This is what I do to cool down stretch nerves , I use ice on the area that hurts and in turn takes out alot of the redness in my arm, I guess it cools the blood in the arm and hand :roll: In the winter I use a hand warmer for the purple in my arm when out side in winter. I use sunscreen but nothing special on my erbs arm it just strange having a arm change color :shock:
Hopes this helps?
Tom
Carolyn J
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI. I am 77 yrs old and never had a name for my injuries until 2004 when I found UBPN at age 66.

My injuries are: LOBPI on upper body and Cerebrael Palsy on the lower left extremities. The only intervention I've had is a tendon transplant from my left leg to my left foot to enable flexing t age 24 in 1962. Before that, my foot would freeze without notice on the side when wearing heels AND I always did wear them at work "to fit in" I also stuttered until around age 18-19...just outgrew it...no therapy for it. Also suffered from very very low self esteem; severe Depression and Anxiety attacks started at menopause. I stuffed emotions and over-compensated in every thing I did to "fit in" and be "invisible". My injuries were Never addressed or talked about until age 66. I am a late bloomer!!!!!

I welcome any and all questions about "My Journey".
There is NO SUCH THING AS A DUMB QUESTION.
Sharing helps to Heal. HUGS do too.

Post by Carolyn J »

YES, we OBPI-ERS are very sensitive skin-wise , especially on our Injured side. There is a topic thread on the "ADULTS WITH OBPI INJURIES Message BOard" Everyone is welcome on any of the Message Forums . Lather generously the sun screen on exposed Injured limbs and where hats.

Carolyn J
LOBPI/74+++ 8-)
Cara
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: My oldest daughter suffered a LOBPI. We were sent home form the hospital without being told anything was wrong. She had nerve graft surgery at one year of age, tendon transfer and release at 3 1/2 yrs of age.

Post by Cara »

My daughter is very fair complceted and burns much easier on her BPI are, shoulder and that side of her back.
emilyalberger
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: left arm bpi since birth,can only bend my elbow mostly ne feeling n when i get it its not the right sensation

Post by emilyalberger »

I have the same problem, my mom said its because my arm couldn't regulate temperatures, which I do believe

Last bumped by Anonymous on Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:09 pm.