Seeking other teens with BPI

Forum for parents of injured who are seeking information from other parents or people living with the injury. All welcome
daveanderson321
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: mt daughter was injured at birth on 2 Feb 98. She suffered a BPI resulting in Erb's Palsey. She has limite use of her right arm. I would like to connect her (live or virtual) with other teens who have the same or similar injury since she has never met anyone else with her condition. Thanks.

Seeking other teens with BPI

Post by daveanderson321 »

My 14 year old daughter was injured at birth and has never met anyone near her age with the same or similar injury. I believe it would do her a world of good to do so. Anyone out there? If no one lives near by, does anyone know of any discussion boards, Facebook sites etc where she might at least meet someone virtually? Thank you.
richinma2005
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Daughter Kailyn ROBPI, June 14, 1997.
Surgery with Dr Waters (BCH), April 1999 and in February 2012
2 more daughters, Julia (1999), Sarah(2002) born Cesarean.

Re: Seeking other teens with BPI

Post by richinma2005 »

Have her contact Kailyn97@gmail.com. My daughter Kailyn is 14 going on 15 (in June) and will email and hook her up to the teen facebook page as well.

Rich Looby
President UBPN

K. I am a dummy she is 15 going on 16...
daveanderson321
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: mt daughter was injured at birth on 2 Feb 98. She suffered a BPI resulting in Erb's Palsey. She has limite use of her right arm. I would like to connect her (live or virtual) with other teens who have the same or similar injury since she has never met anyone else with her condition. Thanks.

Thanks Rich. I'll talk to her and see if I can convince her to get in touch with Kailyn.
F-Litz
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI, LTBPI at age 6.5, Sensory Issues, CP, Diaphragm Weakness, Aspberger's

Post by F-Litz »

My daughter Maia (it's her picture on my account) is 14 going on 15, too and would love to connect. Rich - where is that teen facebook page? Can you email Maia with that information?sveerzvsqubeez@gmail.com. Thanks :)
daveanderson321

Likewise, I would love to get that Facebook page. I'm not having a lot of luck getting my daughter to initiate any kind of conversation (she's shy about meeting new people and has hit that age where anything I suggest is defacto a bad idea:). If either of your daughters are willing to contact her, I can send her email address.
Carolyn J
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI. I am 77 yrs old and never had a name for my injuries until 2004 when I found UBPN at age 66.

My injuries are: LOBPI on upper body and Cerebrael Palsy on the lower left extremities. The only intervention I've had is a tendon transplant from my left leg to my left foot to enable flexing t age 24 in 1962. Before that, my foot would freeze without notice on the side when wearing heels AND I always did wear them at work "to fit in" I also stuttered until around age 18-19...just outgrew it...no therapy for it. Also suffered from very very low self esteem; severe Depression and Anxiety attacks started at menopause. I stuffed emotions and over-compensated in every thing I did to "fit in" and be "invisible". My injuries were Never addressed or talked about until age 66. I am a late bloomer!!!!!

I welcome any and all questions about "My Journey".
There is NO SUCH THING AS A DUMB QUESTION.
Sharing helps to Heal. HUGS do too.

Post by Carolyn J »

Hello Dave,
Going to UBPN CAMP 2014 (it's a family Camp for all the family) will change her life. The teens there are Awesome. keep putting information about our injury around where she can read it. or copy & print a teens post from the open Forum "Teens and Adults with OBPI's". A few teen girls are there especially on the topic of "Self Esteem".
Hang in there,Dad!
HUgs,
Carolyn J
LOBPI/74
daveanderson321

Thanks for the advice Carolyn. I will do exactly that. And I when I first read about Camp UBN, I was excited. I wish I'd discovered this site in time for her to attend the 2012 camp, but I will definitely sign her up for the 2014 camp. Thanks again!
Carolyn J
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI. I am 77 yrs old and never had a name for my injuries until 2004 when I found UBPN at age 66.

My injuries are: LOBPI on upper body and Cerebrael Palsy on the lower left extremities. The only intervention I've had is a tendon transplant from my left leg to my left foot to enable flexing t age 24 in 1962. Before that, my foot would freeze without notice on the side when wearing heels AND I always did wear them at work "to fit in" I also stuttered until around age 18-19...just outgrew it...no therapy for it. Also suffered from very very low self esteem; severe Depression and Anxiety attacks started at menopause. I stuffed emotions and over-compensated in every thing I did to "fit in" and be "invisible". My injuries were Never addressed or talked about until age 66. I am a late bloomer!!!!!

Post by Carolyn J »

Dave,
You and her mother will get alot out of Camp too...lotsa mom ,Dads and sibs attend too. A number of grandmothers do too. There are alot of "just talking" sessions usually scheduled and the Dads are awesome too.

"bossy gramma" Carolyn J
LOBPI/74
dpoganik
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: my daughter Dani born 4/2000 with a robpi. She had a humeral osteotomy Jan. 2005 in boston with Dr. Waters.

Post by dpoganik »

My daughter, Danielle (ropbi), is a soon to be 13 yr old. She would be interested in "meeting" other kids with Erb's too. She hasn't met other kids before. We were looking at the camp pictures and are interested in going next year. We are in NY and willing to exchange emails as well.
- Dawn
Carolyn J

Post by Carolyn J »

Where are you Brittney? K Lobby?
Huggs,
"Bossy" gramma Carolyn J
LOBPI/74+++ ;)