Question about carrying books in school

Forum for parents of injured who are seeking information from other parents or people living with the injury. All welcome
CindyF
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Melanie - robpi, recovered by nine weeks
Matthew - robpi, nerve graft surgery, mod quad, anterior capsule release, bicep tendon rerouting

Question about carrying books in school

Post by CindyF »

My son is starting middle school in August. The school has 3 levels & the kids are not allowed to carry their backpacks around during the day. I have concerns on how he will be able to carry books & hold the stair rail as his bpi arm does not have much strength. The school does have an elevator & I have heard the secretary telling other students that came in on crutches that she's not sure what they should do because all of the elevator keys have been given out. I plan on contacting the principal & letting him know we will need a permanent elevator key assigned to our son. This is the first time we will be asking for a long term accommodation for him & I feel it's necessary. For other parents that have been in this situation how did you ask the school for the elevator key or did your child do fine carrying books up & down the stairs to classes? Thanks.
F-Litz
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI, LTBPI at age 6.5, Sensory Issues, CP, Diaphragm Weakness, Aspberger's

Re: Question about carrying books in school

Post by F-Litz »

Part of Maia's "accommodations" is that she is able to have a full set of textbooks at home AND she can keep her textbook in each classroom so she doesn't have to carry anything but her folders. She's had this accommodation for all three years of middle school and it worked out well. I highly suggest not to get an elevator key because that will separate your child out from everyone else whereas keeping a book in the classrooms is pretty transparent - no one will notice. -francine
hope16_05
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: 28 years old with a right obstetrical brachial plexus injury. 5 surgeries to date with pretty decent results. Last surgery resolved years of pain in my right arm however, I am beginning my journey with overuse in my left arm

Re: Question about carrying books in school

Post by hope16_05 »

Cindy you already have my thoughts on this topic but I figured I would post here to for others to get another opinion.
From 7-9th grade my k-12 school had two stories for 7-12. We always had 4 minutes passing time which was enough to get from one area to the next. I never had any trouble carrying my text books from one class to the next. I would have hated to be more different than I already was. My best advice is to wait for the first few days of school and let your children tell you what they need. They are smart and typically love the opportunity to tell others what they can and cannot do prior to being told what they can and cannot do.

Humble opinion from a 25 year old with ROBPI
Amy J.
Amy 28 years old ROBPI from MN