British Columbia Families? Get together?

Forum for parents of injured who are seeking information from other parents or people living with the injury. All welcome
kim lane
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: My daughter, Dani has ROBPI. She was born in 1997, and suffered 2 avulsed nerves and stretching to another as a result of her birth injury. Dani has had 2 surgeries, both under 5 yrs of age. Sural nerve graft, and a humeral osteotomy, latissimus and pectoral muscle involvement as well.

Dani is an avid Western equestrian, and owns her own horse, Zoey.

British Columbia Families? Get together?

Post by kim lane »

Hi all!
It's been a long time for me to be on the boards. Once upon a time, when Dani was a baby, there was no support to be found in Western Canada. I organized a support group, and was actively doing outreach work when requested to help new familes. (West Coast Erb's Palsy Support Group). After some trainwreck personal events, I had to fold the group, and look after my and Dani's needs only.

My child is 15 yrs old now, and I took time off so I could take a breather.
What I am wondering is, are there any families in BC, the lower mainland that would be interested in getting together sometime?

I did set up two picnics in the past when my support group was active, and Dani was little. Both had a really good turn out. I have felt bad for slipping away, and haven't been in touch with those families since.
I am not wanting to, nor have time to facilitate another group, but it might be nice to network with local families.

If you're interested, post a message Hopefully all ages baby-teen-adult.

I am in the Langley, BC area.

What about you?

Cheers,
Kim
kim lane
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: My daughter, Dani has ROBPI. She was born in 1997, and suffered 2 avulsed nerves and stretching to another as a result of her birth injury. Dani has had 2 surgeries, both under 5 yrs of age. Sural nerve graft, and a humeral osteotomy, latissimus and pectoral muscle involvement as well.

Dani is an avid Western equestrian, and owns her own horse, Zoey.

Re: British Columbia Families? Get together?

Post by kim lane »

I am bumping this post up.

I know from having coordinated and run the West Coast Erb's Palsy Support Group many many years ago that there are familes here in BC still, and I would really love to re-connect with you.

My child isn't a baby anymore-she is 15 yrs old, and though I have no interest or time in starting another group, I do think it would be good to network locally.

If you want to connect, let me know.

Kim
Carolyn J
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI. I am 77 yrs old and never had a name for my injuries until 2004 when I found UBPN at age 66.

My injuries are: LOBPI on upper body and Cerebrael Palsy on the lower left extremities. The only intervention I've had is a tendon transplant from my left leg to my left foot to enable flexing t age 24 in 1962. Before that, my foot would freeze without notice on the side when wearing heels AND I always did wear them at work "to fit in" I also stuttered until around age 18-19...just outgrew it...no therapy for it. Also suffered from very very low self esteem; severe Depression and Anxiety attacks started at menopause. I stuffed emotions and over-compensated in every thing I did to "fit in" and be "invisible". My injuries were Never addressed or talked about until age 66. I am a late bloomer!!!!!

I welcome any and all questions about "My Journey".
There is NO SUCH THING AS A DUMB QUESTION.
Sharing helps to Heal. HUGS do too.

Post by Carolyn J »

Kim ,there is a BPI group as well as UBPN group on Facebook. It seems most people are now going to Facebook these days. Can I copy and paste your post for you there if you are too busy?
HUGS,
Carolyn J
LOBPI/74
talves
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: My son was born with brachial plexus on Nov 3, 2001, his right arm is the one affected. He has always been curious as to how other live with the injury so we started looking.

Post by talves »

HI! I am looking for a support group or families in BC with a child that has Brachial Plexus and I found this post but not much else. I have a 12 year old that suffered the injury at birth and I know he would love to chat with other close to his age. We live in Kelowna, is there anybody from around here that would be interested? Thanks!