Crawling

Forum for parents of injured who are seeking information from other parents or people living with the injury. All welcome
marleneross
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Lindsey - ROBPI - 12/15/2009

Crawling

Post by marleneross »

This is a question for all the moms and Dad's out there. At what age did your child start to crawl? Also what age did you get them to hold a Sippy cup. Lindsey will be 8 months on the 15th and we still can not get her to drink from her sippy cup. She has such a hard time tipping the cup with her bad hand that she will let go and only use her good hand, but can't seem to handle the wait of the cup with the one. It is so hard because my older daughter was able to at 4 months. Also if you can remember when did they start to crawl.. I am trying to find something to compare her to other than my other daughter who was already pulling her self up at this age. I understand that they are both to very different and individual children, and she will do things when she is able and ready, but just curious.

Thanks,

Marlene
mamaofsix
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Second son, Cameron, left obstetric brachial plexus injury in 2005.
Primary never graft surgery at 3 months old at St. Louis Children's Hospital
and several rounds of Botox injections.

Re: Crawling

Post by mamaofsix »

Hi Marlene,

Cameron (age 2, LOBPI) crawled for the first time about 8 months ago. He hasn't had the strength until now. He had a severe bpi. It used to concern me when he was smaller that he wasn't crawling, but he definitely made his way. He was the fastest bottom scooter in the Midwest! Depending on the severity of the injury, some of our children will not crawl, but trust me, they will find a way to get to whatever they want! I can't remember what age he was for his sippy cup. I remember I used the small 2 handle sippy cups (4 oz) and just helped him tip it up until he was able to do it by himself.
Tuckersmommy
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: My son was born At Parrish Medical Center in Titusville,Fla.After becoming stuck in the birth canal A doctor(any doctor)was paged 911.Believe it or not There was NO Obgyn on staff to preform a delivery,so a midwife and one other nurse had to deliver my son.He suffered 2 torn nerves and came out lifeless...
We see Dr.Grossman In Miami along with Dr.Price.He has had a nerve transfer in 2010,A round of botox and a recasting in 2011 and now we will having another round of botox in which we pray no cast will be needed.He is a smart handsome little boy who has come so far and everyday I feel he's improving!

Post by Tuckersmommy »

Hi there...
My son just turned a year..a few weeks before his birthday he started pulling up on things.He started crawling great at about 11 months.He has serve plexus injury to the right arm and had a nerve transplant and shoulder reconstruction surgery at 6 months of age...doctors and therapist said we would never see him crawl and boy were they wrong.All kids are different I know but I think they do it when their good and ready :mrgreen:
As with the sippy cup..I had no issues really.He holds it great with his good hand and uses his injured hand to help it along.Some kids just hate the cups so be patient...it's a learning experience for us all each day.My only concerns now is my sons speech.He isn't saying really anything,but I'll cross that path when I need too.
Well take care and god bless
Life is a dance~We will all learn it as we go
karategirl1kyu
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI, had surgery when I was 9- they moved muscles and tendons from one side of my arm to the other side. I can lift my arm to about my eye level, can't straigten it all the way and can't completely supinate my wrist.

Post by karategirl1kyu »

i was always told i never crawled as a child, i used to roll everywhere! and i believe my sippy cups had handles when i was younger... every little one will find their way to get around :)
~Mel/23/LOBPI
BIGJAVSMA

Post by BIGJAVSMA »

Javier didnt crawl- he scooted. BUT, my older son Manny didnt crawl either. As for the sippy cup, Walmart carries a line of cups that look like oversized "8" shaped bottles. it was very easy for Javier to use with one hand. He was about 6 months when I found them.

Good Luck. It takes a lot of trial and error to find products that will work for your child.

Marlyn
carron

Post by carron »

Thomas did the army crawl he would pull with his good arm and push with his legs. did this a long time. He did not walk until 17 months. He walked straight up on his knees for about 3 months. Cup got the ones that were small around the middle at walmart.

Last bumped by Anonymous on Sun Apr 20, 2014 4:17 am.