Botox??

Forum for parents of injured who are seeking information from other parents or people living with the injury. All welcome
lmungin
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: My name is LaTeesha, our son suffered a LOBPI in January, 2002. He has received two surgeries, botox, ongoing therapy, and recently recommended for a third surgery.

Botox??

Post by lmungin »

Good Afternoon,

We have a 7 yr. old LOBPI who has had 2 surgical procedures, ongoing therapy, etc. The OT was in a car accident and we didn't have OT for at least 9 months, now he's tight under the arm; she suggested that we speak with the neurosurgeon to do Botox to release the tension and gain better active motion. The only obstacle is that we won't see him until August; there is another dr. here in Charlotte that worked w/Dr. Nath in Texas that may be able to do the same thing....I'm just hesitant. The biggest challenge we/I have now is the therapist.
We've been seeing the same therapist in another city (1 hr. drive) for the last seven years, but since he's started school, it's alot. Anyway, that's another story.
Has anyone experienced benefits of Botox on a birth injury? Please advise at your convenience.
F-Litz
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI, LTBPI at age 6.5, Sensory Issues, CP, Diaphragm Weakness, Aspberger's

Re: Botox??

Post by F-Litz »

Dr. Maureen Nelson is at Charlotte Rehab. She was the physiatrist at Texas Children's Hospital and part of the bpi clinic "team" when Maia was getting surgeries. Dr. Nelson did Maia's EMG study in the O.R. when she had primary surgery and did a follow-up EMG afterwards. I only had those two experiences with her but she was certainly very friendly and nice. She knew how to calm Maia down for that 2nd EMG. She's been working with kids who have BPI for a long time. Dr. Shenaq (may he rest in peace) went to her office to do "clinic" often so she didn't lose touch with the community and the work. I think that she would have an opinion for you and leads for new therapists if you needed it.
marieke
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI
no external rotation against gravity, can only go to 90 degree fwd flexion, no hand-to-mouth
1 surgery at age 14 (latissimus dorsi transfer). In 2004, at age 28 I was struck with Transverse Myelitis which paralyzed me from the chest down. I recovered movement to my right leg, but need a KAFO to walk on my left leg. I became an RN in 2008.

Post by marieke »

There are others on here that have had Botox done on their kids with good success.

I have had it done but not on my OBPI arm, but on my leg as I also have a spinal cord injury NOT related to the LOBPI. It worked well and lasts about 3-4 months, wears off gradually.

Marieke 33, LOBPI
Marieke Dufresne RN
34, LOBPI
http://nurse-to-be08.blogspot.com
dontom

Post by dontom »

My son has a BP birth injury and is now 3 years old. He has had Botox for tightness in his affected arm. We did see a little improvement but not major. I think for the most part it made him able to accomodate what he already could do with a little more ease. Range of motion got better but these improvements are temporary. You must get them often and is best coupled with regular therapy. Hope it helps...Peace and Blessings.
mamaofsix
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Second son, Cameron, left obstetric brachial plexus injury in 2005.
Primary never graft surgery at 3 months old at St. Louis Children's Hospital
and several rounds of Botox injections.

Post by mamaofsix »

Imungin,

My son is much younger than yours (13 months) and we just had botox 5 weeks ago. 3 injections. He had primary nerve graft surgery in June. At the time of Botox, he was not tight at all, but we weren't seeing any elbow flexion (biceps) or external rotation. His internal rotators and triceps were very strong. We have had amazing results with our Botox. We are now at a 6 out of 7 for bicep function and the same score for external rotation. It has truly been remarkable. All children don't have the same results, but I would definitely do it again.
JAB12
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: OBPI right arm in 1984. Tendon transfer at 3 to correct waiter's tip, experimental surgery to move pec in 2010. Currently limited (slow) hand function, cannot reach above head.

Post by JAB12 »

Hi,

I know this is old, but I'm hoping it reaches you. Who do you go to for Botox? I'd love a name in Charlotte, but even just knowing what type of Dr to go to would help. I'm an adult with OBPI and am doing PT/OT and after taping I'm thinking about Botoxing, but don't know were.

Also, I'm not sure where in Charlotte you are, but I'd love to recommend Phoenix Physical Therapy in Denver, NC. They are incredible.

Thanks,
Julie
Master DIVER TOM

Post by Master DIVER TOM »

Oh Julie,
My wife and I are moving to lake Norman, Nc when the home gets finished :roll:
Tom :D
I wonder who else lives around Lake Norman ,Nc ?? :roll:
Tuckersmommy
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: My son was born At Parrish Medical Center in Titusville,Fla.After becoming stuck in the birth canal A doctor(any doctor)was paged 911.Believe it or not There was NO Obgyn on staff to preform a delivery,so a midwife and one other nurse had to deliver my son.He suffered 2 torn nerves and came out lifeless...
We see Dr.Grossman In Miami along with Dr.Price.He has had a nerve transfer in 2010,A round of botox and a recasting in 2011 and now we will having another round of botox in which we pray no cast will be needed.He is a smart handsome little boy who has come so far and everyday I feel he's improving!

Post by Tuckersmommy »

My 4 yr old had Botox with Dr price(n.y and in Miami) and the results have been great!!! After the Botox he is placed in the (what I call the bull riders cast) for about a month- which is the hardest part for me.But he became so much more flexible.His last procedure though was Botox along with a muscle transfer all in one
Life is a dance~We will all learn it as we go
Master DIVER TOM

Post by Master DIVER TOM »

Great news, ;)
Some day they will deaden stretch and torn nerves by something like Novocain??? :shock: There is a point I believe, :roll:
That what cause me a lot of pain is the torn or stretch nerves that are stretch even more by scare tissue that pulls the area more. I think , anything that calms pain is GREAT!!!! ;) :D
Ill role back in time, cast like that are :evil: :twisted:
Please try to keep the weight off the shoulder with this cast, :shock:
Please raise the arm with a pillow or stuff animal, That is my mom trick from the 50s she used on me because the weight on the shoulder, the doctors never fix the erbs , broken scapula or elbow.
Just thinking, :shock: :roll:
Tom