after surgery suggestion

Forum for parents of injured who are seeking information from other parents or people living with the injury. All welcome
F-Litz
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI, LTBPI at age 6.5, Sensory Issues, CP, Diaphragm Weakness, Aspberger's

Re: after surgery suggestion

Post by F-Litz »

I always put Maia in really large t-shirts after a surgery and if it was cold, I'd just double or triple layer them. For a coat she used a stretchy fleece type of jacket and between that and the layers it worked out.
I would also make sure I had a mitten on the fingers/hand. Best of luck with the surgery.
marieke
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI
no external rotation against gravity, can only go to 90 degree fwd flexion, no hand-to-mouth
1 surgery at age 14 (latissimus dorsi transfer). In 2004, at age 28 I was struck with Transverse Myelitis which paralyzed me from the chest down. I recovered movement to my right leg, but need a KAFO to walk on my left leg. I became an RN in 2008.

Post by marieke »

I too live in Canada (Montreal), and ya.. it's snowing again!

I had surgery when I was 14 and it was mid-October to end of November and I needed a winter coat as it was COLD. What my mom did was buy me a larger coat and I wore T-shirts and a large fleece under it.

Good Luck!
Marieke, 32, LOBPI
...in Montreal hoping we DON'T break the snow fall record!
Marieke Dufresne RN
34, LOBPI
http://nurse-to-be08.blogspot.com
Jo

Post by Jo »

My son just came out of a cast yesterday...I bought larger shirts and cut the sleeve off..but found that oversized sweatshirts that zippered worked great and offered extra warmth. I also bought a larger size winter coat and it worked great too.
hope16_05
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: 28 years old with a right obstetrical brachial plexus injury. 5 surgeries to date with pretty decent results. Last surgery resolved years of pain in my right arm however, I am beginning my journey with overuse in my left arm

Post by hope16_05 »

What type of surgery is your son going to have? Makes it easier to decide what over clothes would be best. Some things you can just get a couple sizes bigger and others just dont work. I live in Northern MN so I understand the cold. Let me know what type of splinting/casting will be used post surgery and I might be able to give better advice.
Good luck!
Amy 21 years old ROBPI from MN (5 bpi surgeries to date)
Amy 28 years old ROBPI from MN
aidansmom311

Post by aidansmom311 »

We are still dealing with the winter time splint issue and this was how we are dealing! Definately the fleece! We bought t-shirts a couple sizes too big, opened the opening for that side. We had to go t-shirts because other wise the other sleeve would be way too long. I then did the fleece. We also did a winter coat that was Aidan's cousins and probably 3 sizes too big. We are able to slip his arm right in even with the splint. The only trouble on that end was it's a bit long. It does go just past his knees but when it coems to warmth, at this point, who cares? Nine more days!!! Yeah! Don't worry - you will survive the winter splint!
kamyza

Post by kamyza »

HI,

I'm not sure what it's called but I know he will have his arm in an "L" form with the cast for a month.

Thanks for any advice that you can give me. The surgery is nearing and we still have snow and the cold.

Thanks again,

MJ
kamyza

after surgery suggestion

Post by kamyza »

HI,

I was on this board a few years ago but being a busy mom of three I haven't had time or needed to come on the board. Has probably most of you know you can run but you can't hide from BPI. My 8 years old son has a LBPI. Although he is doing well mostly if I compare him to another boy a grade higher than him with a RBPI, he will need surgery to help him get more movement in his arm. My question for anyone is after surgery what did you do with the shirt to dress your child. We live in Canada and this winter has given us alot of snow. We are getting close to breaking the winter of 1971-1972 snow fall record. My son will need to wear his winter jacket for a while longer. Does anyone have a suggestion for shirts and coat? Thank you,

MJ

Last bumped by Anonymous on Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:38 pm.