Spider bite on bp arm

Forum for parents of injured who are seeking information from other parents or people living with the injury. All welcome
SandiR

Re: Spider bite on bp arm

Post by SandiR »

Be careful that it isn't a staph infection. Also known as cellulitus, boils, cysts....... We have seen so many more of these lately. They can be very dangerous, if not treated with the right antibiotic. Do some searches on the internet and see the images for yourself, decide if you need another doctors opinion. Also......Brown Recluse spiders can cause staph infections. Don't mean to scare ya, but we have had a bad time with this infection. Everyone should know what it is, as it is more and more common!
brandonsmom

Post by brandonsmom »

Spider bites tend to make anyone's arm swell. But I agree with Sandi, be very careful, my father just got done with a year worth of antibiotics because of a spider bite. Gayle
AngieD

Post by AngieD »

I would watch it. Kayla actually had the same thing happen on her BPI arm several years ago. It did get infected and she had to go to a surgeon, have it cut open, drained and packed. She was on heavy antibiotics for month. I think it was so bad because it took her along time before she actually felt it and told me about it, there is no telling how long she had it before I actually saw it.

Angie
hope16_05
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: 28 years old with a right obstetrical brachial plexus injury. 5 surgeries to date with pretty decent results. Last surgery resolved years of pain in my right arm however, I am beginning my journey with overuse in my left arm

Post by hope16_05 »

Draw a circle around the redness, the deep red in its own circle and another around the light red. The watch it and if it is still getting worse then I would get asecond opinion. Also feel it and make sure it is not getting hot. I have no idea why but I was getting spots on my arm last year that were getting hot. I used hydrocortizone cream and it went away. Good luck with this and I hope it clears up quickly!
Amy 19 ROBPI from MN
Amy 28 years old ROBPI from MN
katep

Post by katep »

One thing I've learned recently...

EVEN IF the ER doctor says "It's nothing" or sends you on your way as if nothing is wrong, ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS follow up with your regular doctor or pediatrician.

ER doctors are there to save lives. If it isn't life threatening, they tend to ignore you. Don't ever take that to mean that whatever it is that brought you there shouldn't be treated or followed up on.

Kate
LisaL

Post by LisaL »

My daughter just got two spider bites on her legs. I realize that it is not the same as the BPI arm. I did take her to the pediatrician and they did confirm that they were spider bites. She broke out in a rash and had a fever for two weeks. I did take her back to the doctor about a week after she got bit to see if they were infected. Her bites were hot and looked just liked you explained them. Watch out for infection. Her pediatrician said if they get real hard and the ring gets bigger on the outside they could be infected. I would take him to the pediatrician. Good Luck

Lisa

Lisa
evee

Post by evee »

Sandi,

I will check into the infections and hopefully they have pictures. It is not as swollen but still red. He also has either flea bites or mosquito bites on his legs. I have bites too. Mine look like flea bites. We dont have animals but recently moved and my brother but our sofas on the grass for about 30 minutes while we loaded the furniture. I think there were fleas in the grass and now there in our sofas. But, I notice Christians bites are all swollen. The one on his arm is different in size and color, shape. I have put cordizone cream on him. I was just concern since the bite was on his bp arm and he hasnt complained of pain or itch.

Thanks
Evee
San Antonio, TX
evee

Post by evee »

Hope,

I did put cordizone cream last night. Today it looks like the swelling is less but still noticeable. It is still red. He has not complained about pain or itch unless I ask him. And he says yes. I feel if it really hurt he would of told me before I asked. I think he just wants me to give him hugs & kisses.

thanks
Ivette
evee

Post by evee »

Kate,

That is very true. I just was angry at the time. The nurse that regestired my son said that he does need to be checked by a doctor. She said it was a good idea to have brought him to the ER. But, the doctor made me feel like I disturbed him from more important things.

Evee
evee

Post by evee »

Lisa,

His arm is really red in the inner circle and light pink on the outside. It is very hard and swollen. This morning I checked it and it was not as swollen but still red and hard. He doesnt complain of pain or itching unless I ask him. So it is kind of hard for me to know if he is in pain. He also has other bites on his legs. But those look like misquito or flea bites. They are also swollen. Not as bad as the arm. They do not look like the arm. I also have flea bites but mine are not swollen. We dont have pets. I think they are from the yard. I did put cordizone cream and the swelling did go down some but the arm is still hard and red.

He has an appointment with his pcp on Wednesday.

thanks
evee