SENSORY INTERGRATION DYSFUNCTION?

Forum for parents of injured who are seeking information from other parents or people living with the injury. All welcome
Carolyn J
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI. I am 77 yrs old and never had a name for my injuries until 2004 when I found UBPN at age 66.

My injuries are: LOBPI on upper body and Cerebrael Palsy on the lower left extremities. The only intervention I've had is a tendon transplant from my left leg to my left foot to enable flexing t age 24 in 1962. Before that, my foot would freeze without notice on the side when wearing heels AND I always did wear them at work "to fit in" I also stuttered until around age 18-19...just outgrew it...no therapy for it. Also suffered from very very low self esteem; severe Depression and Anxiety attacks started at menopause. I stuffed emotions and over-compensated in every thing I did to "fit in" and be "invisible". My injuries were Never addressed or talked about until age 66. I am a late bloomer!!!!!

I welcome any and all questions about "My Journey".
There is NO SUCH THING AS A DUMB QUESTION.
Sharing helps to Heal. HUGS do too.

Re: SENSORY INTERGRATION DYSFUNCTION?

Post by Carolyn J »

THANK YOU too, AMY, for finding this thread. I surely will make a big effort to remember "Sensory Intergration Dysfunction?" started in 2005"....This thread sure has a wealth of information!

HUGS all around, :)
Carolyn J
Carolyn J
Adult LOBPI
Kath
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: I am ROBPI, global injury, Horner's Syndrome. No surgery but PT started at 2 weeks old under the direction of New York Hospital. I wore a brace 24/7 for the first 11 months of my life. I've never let my injury be used as an excuse not to do something. I've approach all things, in life, as a challenge. I approach anything new wondering if I can do it. I tried so many things I might never have tried, if I were not obpi. Being OBPI has made me strong, creative, more determined and persistent. I believe that being obpi has given me a very strong sense of humor and compassion for others.

Post by Kath »

This thread has information that most medical professionals seem to over look when talking about obpi.
I think many are not aware of this being part of obpi.
I also think no one realizes how much it affects the children.
I was amazed when I found out my "quirks" had a name and my OBPI friends had so many of the same "quirks".

I think it helps parents to understand the children can't really control all of the little things that seem to frustrate them so much.
They will learn to cope and to compensate around many of the issues as they mature.
It is very annoying because you know others are not bothered by tags, lights, etc.
It makes you feel out of step at times.

I was in the wrong seat in a restaurant on Mother's Day.
My kids thought it would be good for me to sit at the head of the table with my back to the center of the room.
I was freaked out...
My kids still don't get it, but my husband understands.
They think I am just being fussy.
They have no idea how crazy this stuff makes me.
I hate the fact that someone can walk up behind me.
I find that being served on my right side is just impossible.
I keep my husband to my right to keep people from tapping me or handing me things on the right.

Kath adult/robpi
Kath robpi/adult

Kathleen Mallozzi
brandonsmom

Post by brandonsmom »

Kath,
Boy Brandon sounds just like you !!! he has some of the same sensory issues as you and it is scary !!
The worst for Brandon is his socks, I almost had a meltdown about a week ago. I went to WAL-Mart to buy him socks, the only kind he will wear and there were no packages at all on the shelf. I standing there having a nervous breakdown, my life will be miserable I know it, my cell phone rings, it is the DH, well he thinks I am over reactng, just buy him any socks he will be fine, so I did and guess what, I didn't even try to put them on him till the husband was there. He was crazy, crying and fussing, like nobody's business, I thought he had lost it. So those socks went to the homeless shelter.
The other day, I went and they had a ton of the same socks the one he likes in dfferent packages, I bought 10 packages, canot go through that again...what am I to do when he gets too big for boys socks ? Just thought that would make you smile. BTW...my husband believes me now !!! Ha, HA GAYLE
Amy Clark

Post by Amy Clark »

I knew where it was because it was so helpful to me!! My daughter has "quirks", (for lack of a better term), that I never could figure out what to do with until I read this thread. What a tremendous help to me! I am much more compassionate now when she freaks out because I put the wrong arm through her sleeve first, or is too hot, or peels off her clothes, etc, etc. The quirks are still there, but now I have the patience to deal with them!
Carolyn J
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI. I am 77 yrs old and never had a name for my injuries until 2004 when I found UBPN at age 66.

My injuries are: LOBPI on upper body and Cerebrael Palsy on the lower left extremities. The only intervention I've had is a tendon transplant from my left leg to my left foot to enable flexing t age 24 in 1962. Before that, my foot would freeze without notice on the side when wearing heels AND I always did wear them at work "to fit in" I also stuttered until around age 18-19...just outgrew it...no therapy for it. Also suffered from very very low self esteem; severe Depression and Anxiety attacks started at menopause. I stuffed emotions and over-compensated in every thing I did to "fit in" and be "invisible". My injuries were Never addressed or talked about until age 66. I am a late bloomer!!!!!

Post by Carolyn J »

I am going to keep this Topic Bumped up for a while as there are a number of new parents to our UBPN.

Kath,...I am amazed that you haven't printed out this topic pages,especially your very helpful posts,and hand them out personally to each of your "kids".....Then, they will get it. :)

HUGS all around,
Carolyn J
Carolyn J
Adult LOBPI
Kath
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: I am ROBPI, global injury, Horner's Syndrome. No surgery but PT started at 2 weeks old under the direction of New York Hospital. I wore a brace 24/7 for the first 11 months of my life. I've never let my injury be used as an excuse not to do something. I've approach all things, in life, as a challenge. I approach anything new wondering if I can do it. I tried so many things I might never have tried, if I were not obpi. Being OBPI has made me strong, creative, more determined and persistent. I believe that being obpi has given me a very strong sense of humor and compassion for others.

Post by Kath »

Carolyn
The problem with my kids seems to be they never thought anything was wrong with me.
I never talked to them much about my arm and rarely talked about it at all.
When I found UBPN I began to talk about it and they just think it never stopped me... LOL...
They knew I could not play patty cake and that I clapped hands like a seal but other than that they think I am normal... LOL..
Except that I am a bit of a geek when it comes to gifts... I love gadgets... LOL...

It's funny each time I read this thread I think of something else and it's good if parent learn to deal with these issues and can help the kids.
It makes it so much easier on the kids.

One more thing.
Did anyone notice that walking next to a bpi child they push you over if you walk on their bpi side?
When I go to the walking track my friends they know I have to have them on my left side.
If they are on the right/obpi side I slowly push them off the track and don't even realize it... LOL...

Gayle ugh, sock were a big issue for me.
I wore them too big and no seams... ugh...
I wear most of my cloths big because then I am comfortable.
That drove my mother crazy because she was a big woman and I was so small and thin.
She wanted me to wear clothes that fit and did not understand why I liked big clothes.
But then again I didn't understand either just wanted comfort.

Sock and seams are big deals like tags and nylon thread.

Kath obpi/adult

Message was edited by: Kath
Kath robpi/adult

Kathleen Mallozzi
brandonsmom

Post by brandonsmom »

Yes, Brandon pushes everyone off to the right....not very slowly thugh LOL !!!

Yes, it is the seams on the socks, I have figured that much out, but I am in big trouble when he gets to big for boys socks....Ha, HA
GAYLE
Carolyn J

Post by Carolyn J »

Wow!, I learn something every time this Topic comes up too...people who walk with me have always complained that I push them off the sidewalk. I never connecyted it to my LOBPI until now! We sure have alot to talk about!!! Keep up the "Talk"!

HUGS,
Carolyn J
Carolyn J
Adult LOBPI
Kath

Post by Kath »

Carolyn
You just have to keep your friends on the non bpi side and you will have no problems.
It took me a long time to figure it out.

Gayle I still have problems with the seams in the bare toe stockings... some still have a small seam and it drives me crazy.

Kath robpi/adult

Message was edited by: Kath
Kath robpi/adult

Kathleen Mallozzi
Carolyn J

Post by Carolyn J »

BUMPING UP for Evee.

HUgs,
Carolyn J
Carolyn J
Adult LOBPI