SENSORY INTERGRATION DYSFUNCTION?

Forum for parents of injured who are seeking information from other parents or people living with the injury. All welcome
Carolyn J
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI. I am 77 yrs old and never had a name for my injuries until 2004 when I found UBPN at age 66.

My injuries are: LOBPI on upper body and Cerebrael Palsy on the lower left extremities. The only intervention I've had is a tendon transplant from my left leg to my left foot to enable flexing t age 24 in 1962. Before that, my foot would freeze without notice on the side when wearing heels AND I always did wear them at work "to fit in" I also stuttered until around age 18-19...just outgrew it...no therapy for it. Also suffered from very very low self esteem; severe Depression and Anxiety attacks started at menopause. I stuffed emotions and over-compensated in every thing I did to "fit in" and be "invisible". My injuries were Never addressed or talked about until age 66. I am a late bloomer!!!!!

I welcome any and all questions about "My Journey".
There is NO SUCH THING AS A DUMB QUESTION.
Sharing helps to Heal. HUGS do too.

Re: SENSORY INTERGRATION DYSFUNCTION?

Post by Carolyn J »

Bumping up for Evee. ADHD & ADD is often misdiagnosed foe SID,Sensory Intergration Dysfunction. Most of us adults with OBPI have some form of SID.
Hugs to all,
Carolyn J
Adult LOBPI,[soon to be 68 & proud of it!]
Carolyn J
Adult LOBPI
brandonsmom

Post by brandonsmom »

BUMP.....it was getting lost again.....and this one was hard to find with the "SEARCH FEATURE" Gayle
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Kyle also has had issues with sensory intergration. It does affect him in school sometimes as well. It is my understanding that children who have had a traumatic birth have a greater risk for developing SI issues. Kyle has worked on these issues in therapy and they have seemed to help. He is extremely fidgety and definitely has a hard time sitting still. There are these cushions you can order through a pt catalog that you can put on their sit to help them. It lets them shift around and helps them to release that fidgety feeling without leaving their chair. Kyle had a very hard time with noises (auditory defensiveness syndrome). He was on a listening program for almost a year to help him work through it. He does really well now.
Karrie
Kath
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: I am ROBPI, global injury, Horner's Syndrome. No surgery but PT started at 2 weeks old under the direction of New York Hospital. I wore a brace 24/7 for the first 11 months of my life. I've never let my injury be used as an excuse not to do something. I've approach all things, in life, as a challenge. I approach anything new wondering if I can do it. I tried so many things I might never have tried, if I were not obpi. Being OBPI has made me strong, creative, more determined and persistent. I believe that being obpi has given me a very strong sense of humor and compassion for others.

Post by Kath »

Moving this up for Carron.
School is about to start in many states and the kids will be faced with new challenges.

Kath (adult/robpi)
Kath robpi/adult

Kathleen Mallozzi
brandonsmom

Post by brandonsmom »

Bumping this to the top for the nice lady I met at the POST OFFICE, who is dealing with some Sensory ISSUES..... WELCOME!!!!
GAYLE
Amy

Post by Amy »

Does anyone know the percentage of kids that has SI?

I have other children, and none of them did this but when I dress Abbie, no matter what time of day, if she's screaming, or extremely tired she instantly starts laughing. Is that just her or could it be something else? Her Pedi. didn't say anything about it but "how sweet" her PT didn't believe me until she went to take her shirt off. Which one of her Dr's should I talk to about this?

Thanks again!
Amy
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Gayle, I applaud you for volunteering in the classroom. As you learned, this is a magnificent way to see what things work and what doesn't work in the classroom and to help figure out the root of things and how the teacher may not see the "whole" picture. I have volunteered every year of school and find it so rewarding for myself as well as helpful to keep on top of issues and to find resolution to the issues. It's been helpful for everyone.
Carolyn J
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI. I am 77 yrs old and never had a name for my injuries until 2004 when I found UBPN at age 66.

My injuries are: LOBPI on upper body and Cerebrael Palsy on the lower left extremities. The only intervention I've had is a tendon transplant from my left leg to my left foot to enable flexing t age 24 in 1962. Before that, my foot would freeze without notice on the side when wearing heels AND I always did wear them at work "to fit in" I also stuttered until around age 18-19...just outgrew it...no therapy for it. Also suffered from very very low self esteem; severe Depression and Anxiety attacks started at menopause. I stuffed emotions and over-compensated in every thing I did to "fit in" and be "invisible". My injuries were Never addressed or talked about until age 66. I am a late bloomer!!!!!

I welcome any and all questions about "My Journey".
There is NO SUCH THING AS A DUMB QUESTION.
Sharing helps to Heal. HUGS do too.

Post by Carolyn J »

Bumping Up for Evee and new parents to the message boards.

There are several Topic Threads on this subject,Evee. Just type in "Sensory Intergration" in the SEARCH Box at the top of the page and ALL THreads will come up.

Good Luck,Evee. Please keep us posted.

HUGS all around,
Carolyn J
Adult LOBPI,68 & Proud of it! ;)

Message was edited by: Carolyn J
Carolyn J
Adult LOBPI
Amy Clark

Post by Amy Clark »

Bumping up for new members with questions about Sensory Integration Disorder.
brandonsmom

Post by brandonsmom »

Thank you AMY !!! I knew it was here, just couldn't find it !!!

GAYLE