Torticollis / Brachial Plexus

Forum for parents of injured who are seeking information from other parents or people living with the injury. All welcome
dmom

Re: Torticollis / Brachial Plexus

Post by dmom »

Evee,

Don't know where you are, but I know from a friend that this place is consideredd one of the best in the country for plagiocephaly (there are kids with these helmets all over Dallas, it seems). Maybe you can at least get some info:

http://www.thecraniofacialcenter.org/sy ... phaly.html
dmom

Post by dmom »

meant to type "considered" - sorry for the typo!
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I guess she doesn't have that, her head is a little misshaped, but it doesn't look like that kid on the website!

Does anyone have experience with one side of their child's face not being quite the same as the other? Eye is smaller, etc?

Thanks,
Lauren
Susie

Post by Susie »

My son has experienced leg and balance issues and also had torticollus with the bpi. We have had great success with holistic chiropractic care, have you tried this?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Evee,

My daughter developed Plagiocephaly as a secondary problem from her BPI. You are correct about the time/age of the helmet being able to properly help the problem. It is best to do it younger while the skul is still softer and developing. Also, when the child is young and plagio is dignosed the doctors will usually give some time for positioning techniques to help clear the problem up before the helmet is used. This may work on a child or it may not. In our case, it did not work and we went to the helmet.
Anyway, You will find a wealth of info at the site below. They have a search to find a doctor near you. We had to travel for Ella's helmet and all of her fittings b/c the closest one was about an 1 - 1 1/2 hours away. I suggest you call them to tell them about your sons problem and talk about what can be done at his age. If you need further info on plagiocephaly please let me know and I am willing to help you.

http://www.cranialtech.com/

Good luck!
~Krista~

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Lauren,

This is about the time where plagiocephaly may start. Please keep watching b/c any sort of mis-shape with the head can get worse and it is a sign of plagio. Since you do notice the difference you can try the positioning techniques to make the small differences null and void! Place her on her belly instead of her back during play or awake times. Place her on her side opposite of the flatness. Don't go by the pictures b/c they are showing you the more severe cases. In our case not many people noticed Ella's head shape until we pointed it out. BUT...she still was diagnosed with deformational plagiocephaly and needed the helmet to correct it. If you want more info just email me. You can check out the site I posted to Evee also at the post above this one. Best wishes.

~Krista~
Karen w

Post by Karen w »

My daughter has been diagnosed with Horner's Syndrome as well. There has been some discussion of this before on the boards. Generally , one eye is smaller looking than the other and sometimes the eyelid is droopy. We never really noticed the difference in our daughter's eyes except in pictures. It was a little more prominent then. However, when we took her to have her eyes checked (age 2)at a pediatric eye doctor, it only took him a minute to tell us that she had classic horner's syndrome. They can tell for sure by looking at pupil dilation when lights are turned out or by injecting a substance (not sure what) into the eye that will determine for sure if it is horner's. He told us that it would not affect her vision and that it should not get worse (the size difference) as she grows older. He did say that if she was ever injured or in the emergency room for some reason that we should explain that she has horner's or else the doctors would assume (because of the difference in pupil dilation) that she had suffered a head injury and would run many unneccesary tests on the head.
BrokenWingedAngel85

Post by BrokenWingedAngel85 »

I am somewhat relieved to hear that someone has similar concerns to mine. My son Daniel also has torticollis, and I noticed that he has toeing too. He does not seem to have speech delays yet ( he said his first word at 2 months) but he's only 8 months old so it may be too soon to tell. I am very relieved though, because some of his therapists suggested that he had other serious complications., although his neurologist strongly disagreed. However, he did sit up late and cannot yet crawl. Did anyone else's kids have the same difficulty?
evee

Torticollis / Brachial Plexus

Post by evee »

Can someone tell me if Torticollis, speech delays, developemental delays, leg length difference, feet problems (walking on tip toes), toes on injured side curve inward (causing child to trip) are related to Brachial Plexus Palsy? Any information would be helpful. I talked to a lawyer yesterday and mentioned these problems and he said they are not related to brachial plexus. I told him that my son has had so many problems (listed above) since he was born. I have not been able to go back to work. My son has therapy for all the above on differnt days. It's a fulltime job with all these appoinments and therapy.

I hope someone can help me.
thanks
Evee

Last bumped by Anonymous on Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:57 pm.