martial arts??????

Forum for parents of injured who are seeking information from other parents or people living with the injury. All welcome
BIGJAVSMOM

Re: martial arts??????

Post by BIGJAVSMOM »

I AM WONDERING THE SAME. EVEN THOUGH MY BPI BABY IS YOUNG, I WOULD LIKE TO GET HIM INTO SOMETHING WHEN HE IS A LITTLE OLDER. I WILL CONTSCT HIS THERAPIST AND ASK, THEN I WILL GET BACK TO YOU.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

When you asked for "research", honestly, the hairs on the back of my neck went up. I think you need to know that Kids with bpi can find success with EVERYTHING and anything they WANT to do like any other child - the sky's the limit. They just might do certain things differently. So "research" can be done by YOU. Either your child will like it or he won't. If he likes it, and finds passion in it, then the sky's the limit. If he doesn't like it then he won't want to go.

Tai Chi is slow motion and requires a great deal of endurance in an isometric way. It also requires mental stamina. It might be hard to find a children's class in this - it's usually adults.

Aikido is about learning how to get out of the way.
Tai Kwon Do is in your face.
Both are physically strenuous and risky. Teachers will have to be educated about bpi.

Rather than looking at a type of martial art, I suggest you try to find the greatest teacher and school. Some teachers have no heart it seems and just treat the kids like they are in boot camp and some teachers are there to get the kids excited about the martial art and have lots of compassion.

You can see this example in the Karate Kid - the bad school and teacher who teaches the kids to be mean and confrontational and the good Miyagi who teaches with heart and very few words.

My 7 year old with bpi does Aikido and she is very successful with it. But she does not involve her bpi arm in any way and she has markings all over her uniform sleeve to let the students know not to pull her arm or twist it. They definitely pull and push arms to move full body weight to the ground. The other kids have respect for her and take care of her, as do the teachers. But she might not find this type of compassion in another school with a different teacher. We lucked out.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

guest,

I didn't mean to raise hairs with saying "research". Maybe my wording should have been "information".

Believe me, I DO RESEARCH, quite extensively. Researching treatment for my daughter has been upmost in our minds since she was born.
I am just trying to find out what other parents do, and get some advice from them.
I do thank you for your explenations of the difference in the arts, and as in all things, there are good and bad.,I have no doubt that my daughter can do anthing she puts her mind too (and them some) She is an amazing young lady with an amazing spirit.
Mandie

Post by Mandie »

I will find out when Sarah turns 4. My brother owns a karate school and i will put sarah in it
jansar

Tang Soo Do

Post by jansar »

Janessa just turned five and has been doing tang soo do for about 4 months now. It Korean and is the art that tai kwon do came from. She is doing very well. Her teachers were made aware immediately of her bpi and have been great. She will be testing for her first stripe next week.

We have also thought about aikido, my husband takes that, but I did not feel comfortable with the schools in our area as far as dealing with her.

I agree the above poster that said you need to be comfortable with the school and teacher not just the art form.

Good luck.
JaimeC

Post by JaimeC »

Hi, my 9 year old takes Bushidokan, which is a blend of different karates. It's been nothing but wonderful for him. The instructor is great, which as everyone has said is the most important element, and that's the reason for us sticking with it. The great thing about martial arts, whichever kind you choose, is that it encompasses total fitness. My son's class does 20 minutes of stretching and strengthening before the 40 minutes of karate. They learn and practice self-control, thoughtfulness, patience and even kindness believe it or not. Another thing about it is it's "bilateral". If you think of other sports, you typically will use one arm more than the other. With karate, both arms are used equally. Obviously our kids can't use both arms equally, but it becomes a sort of therapy to get them to try to use the arm. And if your child can't use the arm at all, that's okay too. My son's instructor instructor is very aware of his injury and has been great. When Tyler tests out on routines, his teacher tells him "do your best with your left, but the right has to be perfect".
Anyway - I HIGHLY recommend martial arts. Each kid is different of course, but we love it.
Jaime
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

anyone have their children involved in Kempo? From the little I know, this one interests me. I'd like to know how young a child, on the average, gains desire for such a sport.
dmom

Post by dmom »

Do any of you worry about the potential harm of a swift kick to the injured arm, causing more damage?

My husband is a black belt in karate, and he said he wouldn't dare put Danny in martial arts because of how many times he has gotten kicked or thwacked really hard in a competition. And that's with other black belts, not beginners. (Maybe small-fry martial arts classes wouldn't be so bad? I don't know)

I don't mean to throw cold water on anyone else's decision, but I just thought I'd put my two cents into the discussion.

I am - admittedly - OBSESSED with avoiding any potential reinjury!

Janet
Ginne

Post by Ginne »

Missy is too young yet for karate, however both Jeff and Nicole are in Wado kai. We have spoken to all of the sensei's in our area and to the Canadian Wado kai Federation Sensei (8th degree black belt) about enrolling Missy in this sport and he is willing to take her on as his personal student. There is a lot of striking and bloking in this version of the sport but I trust our Sensei's not to allow any harm come to Missy.

Although it is not the same, one of the Sensei's (I think he is a 2nd degree black belt) is a thalidimide baby. His arms are fully formed but only half the length they should be. He is amazing to watch in action and he is GOOD!

The best way to research the different forms is to get a hold of a local club, talk to the sensei's (or shodan's or whatever the black belts for them are called) and ask their advice. Most of them will let you know if they can modify blocking or striking techniques that will disallow (serious)injuries or if there is a form that they can recommend.

Good Luck in your search

-Ginne
JaimeC

Post by JaimeC »

Janet, I understand your fears about injury. I have them too. I have them with everything he does though, not just karate. That's where the good instructor and dojo come in.
And you're right - the pipsqueak classes aren't aggressive. At least not in bushidokan. That would be something you'd want to check into.
I had my son take a class (just to try) in Judo, and EEK! it scared me. It's all about throwing people (or at least it seemed to be to me sitting on the sidelines.)
So go check out a class, observe and talk to the instructor FIRST.
Just like any other sport or interest.....
Jaime