I loooooooooved camp

Discuss Camp UBPN
Cameronsdad

I loooooooooved camp

Post by Cameronsdad »

This was my first camp and I really enjoyed it. All the families and the UBPN board were wonderful. The camp was well put together and very exciting. I learned a lot from sitting in on the talks with the doctors and the lawyer, Ken Levine. During the dad's round table I appreciated the open conversations from the other dads, because it gave me a different outlook from each of our journeys. It was very encouraging to be among them. I was very inspired by all of the speakers, Emma, Matt, Amanda, and Paul. They made me proud to have them paving the way for my son to have them to look up too. The UBPN board did a wonderful job with the closing night karaoke fest. The kids were excited like it was Christmas, and they lined up to pick out songs as they got up in groups to sing the latest Hannah Montana songs. They were not the only ones, the parents were lined up too, as Rich kept the music going. I would like to make special mention about Matt Parsons album, I just finished listening to it, and it is a great album. My favorite song is Be Mine, check it out, it will be yours too. Well that's all I can think of right now, but I think I'll be back.

P.S. Thank you for all your kind comments about the song. They are very uplifting.

Cary Braggs
karategirl1kyu
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI, had surgery when I was 9- they moved muscles and tendons from one side of my arm to the other side. I can lift my arm to about my eye level, can't straigten it all the way and can't completely supinate my wrist.

Re: I loooooooooved camp

Post by karategirl1kyu »

your song was amazng too!! i find that the chorus already gets stuck in my head! (im a hardcore rap fan) so thank you! :mrgreen:
~Mel/23/LOBPI
Carolyn J
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI. I am 77 yrs old and never had a name for my injuries until 2004 when I found UBPN at age 66.

My injuries are: LOBPI on upper body and Cerebrael Palsy on the lower left extremities. The only intervention I've had is a tendon transplant from my left leg to my left foot to enable flexing t age 24 in 1962. Before that, my foot would freeze without notice on the side when wearing heels AND I always did wear them at work "to fit in" I also stuttered until around age 18-19...just outgrew it...no therapy for it. Also suffered from very very low self esteem; severe Depression and Anxiety attacks started at menopause. I stuffed emotions and over-compensated in every thing I did to "fit in" and be "invisible". My injuries were Never addressed or talked about until age 66. I am a late bloomer!!!!!

I welcome any and all questions about "My Journey".
There is NO SUCH THING AS A DUMB QUESTION.
Sharing helps to Heal. HUGS do too.

Post by Carolyn J »

Thank you Cary for your post from a Dad's perspective. I am sooo proud of you for 1st supporting Anise, and 2nd learning all you can from the Spouses,& other Dad's...Your children will be forever benefited by you and Anises' involvement in UBPN. 8-)
I look forward to meeting you Braggs in person at our next Camp.
Hugs all around your house,
"Gramma" Carolyn J :mrgreen:
LOBPI/72
Carolyn J
Adult LOBPI
veggiebug
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: I weighed 11 lbs. 4 oz. when I was born.
I was delivered by forceps which resulted in my ROBPI.
I've never had any surgical intervention.

Post by veggiebug »

Your song totally touched my heart. It was awesome! I was choked up by it, it made me connect with all my fears I had my first days with Phineas.

Thank you so much!
Jennifer P
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI

Post by Jennifer P »

Camp was fantastic — the chorus is still stuck in my head too! Thanks everyone for all the support!
richinma2005
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Daughter Kailyn ROBPI, June 14, 1997.
Surgery with Dr Waters (BCH), April 1999 and in February 2012
2 more daughters, Julia (1999), Sarah(2002) born Cesarean.

Post by richinma2005 »

Best camp ever that I have been to as well. Just a great time

rich
karategirl1kyu
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI, had surgery when I was 9- they moved muscles and tendons from one side of my arm to the other side. I can lift my arm to about my eye level, can't straigten it all the way and can't completely supinate my wrist.

Post by karategirl1kyu »

i want the next one to be tomorrow!! lol i miss everyone!!
~Mel/23/LOBPI
JaredsDad
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Dad of an OBPI

Post by JaredsDad »

Camp was great. I can't stop singing your song cary.... This camp was the best I've been to but it was only the second camp we have been to. It was so amazing hearing all the the speakers. I guess when you have a young child with a bpi injury you never think about what life will be like for them when they become adults. All the stories were amazing and gave me so much hope that Jared can do anything he wants to.
marieke
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI
no external rotation against gravity, can only go to 90 degree fwd flexion, no hand-to-mouth
1 surgery at age 14 (latissimus dorsi transfer). In 2004, at age 28 I was struck with Transverse Myelitis which paralyzed me from the chest down. I recovered movement to my right leg, but need a KAFO to walk on my left leg. I became an RN in 2008.

Post by marieke »

Same here Mel!
Marieke Dufresne RN
34, LOBPI
http://nurse-to-be08.blogspot.com