Cost Prohibitive

Discuss Camp UBPN
Brenda333
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Daughter has global palsy (c5-T1 injury) 5 surgeries at Texas Children's by Dr
Laurent, Shenaq, and Nath. 1st Surel graft 2nd Intercostal transfer 3rd Latisimus Dorsi transfer with subscapular release 4th Pec release 5th Bicep lenghtening, (which weakened her bicep, and contracture returned.) Has went through serial casting with fair results. Her arm is about a hand shorter then the other. She has limited hand function. (able to grasp) Arm stays pronated. Unable to get to neutral. Now dealing with sternoclavicular subluxation. All that being said....She is very functional. She is a very determined, strong, tenacious young woman. Now 15. She plays the trumpet, french horn, drums, guitar, and now learning piano. Has always played on a softball, and basketball team. Until recently, for fear of further injury due to the sternoclavicular subluxation. (separation of colarbone from sternum) Not sure if all this is spelled right.
--

Cost Prohibitive

Post by Brenda333 »

Wish we could attend this time around. Unfortunately, its just too expensive. Is there anyway we can decrease the cost? :?: I've got a feeling a lot of families won't be able to attend because of this. Maybe I'm wrong? How many have signed up? :(

Cost Prohibitive
Brenda
BPI Connection
http://www.freewebs.com/wbpic
marieke
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI
no external rotation against gravity, can only go to 90 degree fwd flexion, no hand-to-mouth
1 surgery at age 14 (latissimus dorsi transfer). In 2004, at age 28 I was struck with Transverse Myelitis which paralyzed me from the chest down. I recovered movement to my right leg, but need a KAFO to walk on my left leg. I became an RN in 2008.

Re: Cost Prohibitive

Post by marieke »

Agreed... I will most likely not be able to go as getting the time off will be hard and the cost just seems too much this time.
Marieke Dufresne RN
34, LOBPI
http://nurse-to-be08.blogspot.com
claudia

Post by claudia »

We do have a scholarship you can apply for, if you'd like. The form is on the website with the registration form. How much we can give is related to how much we receive in scholarship donations.

The cost of the camp is as low as we could make it. We struggled to find a location that had everything that the community has come to expect in a camp. The kids under 13 eat and sleep for free!! I think that's a great deal.

I hope you'll be able to come anyway!!

claudia strobing
camp coordinator
richinma2005
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Daughter Kailyn ROBPI, June 14, 1997.
Surgery with Dr Waters (BCH), April 1999 and in February 2012
2 more daughters, Julia (1999), Sarah(2002) born Cesarean.

Post by richinma2005 »

Seattle camp was cheaper for the rooms, however each child over 4 not free meals, or activities...Here are examples:

......... Wash D.C Seattle Trout Lodge
1 adult $395.00 $275.00 $457.00
2 Adult $478.00 $455.00 $704.00
Family 4 (2 kids under 13) $790.00 $515.00 $704.00
Family 4 (1 kids under 13) $790.00 $950
3 adults 2 kids under 13 $880 $787.00 $950
1 adult and 1 child under 13 $387 $390 $457.00

This does not include transportation from airport. In past years, we had donations to underwrite those costs or volunteers doing the driving, but this year, we do not. But with the exception of two adults coming (or an adult and a child over 13 ) the cost is almost the same, and in some cases cheaper. UBPN took a hit in Seattle also, since the rooms were not sold out, travel was expensive to Seattle.

We have had donations for camp, which will help with scholarships, and with bringing in speakers and professionals to the camp. Also it will subsidize some of the activities being presented at the camp, and entertainment. We really hope for a great turn out for camp this year. If there is not sufficient interest, this may in fact be the last Camp UBPN--it takes huge effort to organize, financially and administratively. We know how much people attending camp get out of the experience, and we hope to fulfill it this year.

If people have ideas how to raise additional funds for camp please forward to richard@ubpn.org.
KPC's mom
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Birth injury on 11/11/07.

Post by KPC's mom »

I wish we could attend, but it's pretty pricey. My son's almost 3, so I don't know that this price would be worth it at his age, but I really hope to attend when he's a little older.

As for fundraising, I work with several non-profits as a CPA. Many of the one's I work with have had great sucess with charity poker outings. There are companies that do this, they supply the dealers for a portion of the profit. The non-profit only needs to have 2 volunteers to cover ticket sales. My clients have made between 2-4 thousand in a 3 day weekend. This could go along way to cover some of the camp costs.
Not sure where UBPN is based, but Art Van Furniture is offering grants to MI non-profits. They may qualify since there are several MI residents registered. The application deadline is Aug 2nd. Here's a link their site that gives the details on how to apply. http://www.artvan.com/Furniture/Store/C ... T-CharChal