Camp UBPN Rescheduled for 2010

Discuss Camp UBPN
richinma2005
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Daughter Kailyn ROBPI, June 14, 1997.
Surgery with Dr Waters (BCH), April 1999 and in February 2012
2 more daughters, Julia (1999), Sarah(2002) born Cesarean.

Camp UBPN Rescheduled for 2010

Post by richinma2005 »

The UBPN Board of Directors is pleased to announce that the next Camp UBPN will be held in 2010.

With the current costs of travel escalating at exponential rates, the Board determined that waiting a year will allow more families to save for the costs of camp. This extra year will also allow the organization to raise additional funds to subsidize camp activities and decrease its overall cost.

We also hope to select a new, central camp location, which will make the camp more economical, while also allowing more families to attend.

Any comments, questions and or suggestions can be forwarded to info@ubpn.org
bugaloo28

Re: Camp UBPN Rescheduled for 2010

Post by bugaloo28 »

Is there a ball park figure on how much the camp will cost?
Kimberly

Post by Kimberly »

I am SOOOOOOOO disappointed to have to wait until 2010!! That is 26 months away!!! 14 months is PLENTY of time to make plans and at good rates! Are you sure we have to wait until 2010??? This is something that Brittany looks so forward to every two years and she is going to be so disappointed. Probably the people that can't make it in 2009 won't be able to make it in 2010 either. Please reconsider!!!!
richinma2005
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Daughter Kailyn ROBPI, June 14, 1997.
Surgery with Dr Waters (BCH), April 1999 and in February 2012
2 more daughters, Julia (1999), Sarah(2002) born Cesarean.

Post by richinma2005 »

Kim,

Kailyn is also very disappointed. She had such a good time last camp. but for the organization and for the economics, it makes too much sense.

UBPN expends ~$30-40K towards camp-the raising of funds has not been easy, and we are raising money for new message boards and internet hosting, as well as for an independent audit, so we can apply for grants that my help for camp in 2010. Our spotlight-on project is also devouring some of our volunteer efforts. Camp requires alot of hours!

We are looking for people to help with these projects but volunteers are as hard to get as the funds themselves, so with the change in leadership, and the current economy, coupled with the fact that the camp we had chosen could not give us accurate numbers in terms of cost, forced us to maker this very difficult decision.

Meanwhile we are going to have some very positive changes, which I hope will be visible before year end.

We will look forwrd to seeing you in 2010!!!!

rich
leigh1976

Post by leigh1976 »

As I live in Australia because of the costs involved in getting over there, I cannot attend this wonderful support camp, I have not seen a camp like this at all in Australia and if one existed of course I would jump at the chance to go. I would like to say to anyone who is upset at the change of date, that you guys are so lucky to have kind of setup, as a person who only found out a few years ago that what I have is actually classed as BPBI, and so be happy everyone that you have the opportunity to have a camp to go to for support, It would be great if us overseas people could come over, but at least we get to read what happened at camp in Outreach, a magazine, that without it I would not know what to do and would be very upset. I hope to be able to go to a Upbn camp once in my life, and I hope for one in Australia, so this is just me saying that you guys over there are lucky to have this concept at all, so please be patient, it could be worse, you could live here, lol.
cheers mate
Leigh E :)
Australia
PeggyF

Post by PeggyF »

Count me in as a volunteer (although, you already have ;)

Emma is also very disappointed, but I can tell you wholeheartedly that I agree with the UBPN BOD decision to wait until 2010. It just makes much more sense to give the process more time and ability to get everything done.

Peggy
chimley
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: I am the wife of Rick, LTBPI. On 6/30/2008, our lives were forever changed. Rick was in a severe auto accident and sustained multiple injuries: broken jaw and facial bones, mild traumatic brain injury, L1 fracture, 4th cranial nerve palsy and LTBPI. With regard to the LTBPI, Rick has had an ulner nerve transfer (January 2009). We are now considering next steps in his treatment, perhaps some muscle transfers. Pain continues to be the worst thing about his injury. We are told that the pain goes away within five years or people have learned to deal with it. Meanwhile, we pray....and wait.

Post by chimley »

Hi,

I, too, am sorry to see that camp is rescheduled for '10, but I certainly understand. I was looking forward to meeting people face to face with the same injury as Rick's.

On another note, you talk about a site for camp, as well as a need for volunteers. I am a staffperson for our local Girl Scout council. Girl Scouts, as a nationwide organization where older girls are always looking for ways to serve their communities, may be able to assist by partnering with UBPN in a variety of ways. As you get closer and are assess your volunteer needs, please keep me in mind!
swhite1
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Bad fall in June of 2006
LTBPI

Post by swhite1 »

I'm disappointed as well but I too understand.
I would suggest Texas as the campsite but my
new found fear of bugs(spiders to be exact) tells
me not to.
I would like to offer myself in any capacity.
Scott
marieke
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI
no external rotation against gravity, can only go to 90 degree fwd flexion, no hand-to-mouth
1 surgery at age 14 (latissimus dorsi transfer). In 2004, at age 28 I was struck with Transverse Myelitis which paralyzed me from the chest down. I recovered movement to my right leg, but need a KAFO to walk on my left leg. I became an RN in 2008.

Post by marieke »

Scott,
It's not that kind of camping, it's Camp set in a more urban area (or close to one)... It's set in actual buildings where we have things like bathrooms and showers and a cafeteria for food. No bugs! At least not like when you go camping in the woods.
Marieke Dufresne RN
34, LOBPI
http://nurse-to-be08.blogspot.com