Keep us NON-Campers up to date--

Discuss Camp UBPN
hope16_05
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: 28 years old with a right obstetrical brachial plexus injury. 5 surgeries to date with pretty decent results. Last surgery resolved years of pain in my right arm however, I am beginning my journey with overuse in my left arm

Re: Keep us NON-Campers up to date--

Post by hope16_05 »

Traci I will certainly tell Joe hello. He is so awesome! What a big help he was with the sports clinic!!!! We are having fun here! Making lots of friends and having a great time seeing old friends again. The kids from last camp have grown up so much and it has been awesome to see all the wonderful changes.
That all I have time to update right now but maybe someone else can post soon too. I hope you at home are having a fun and safe weekend as well!
Hugs,
Amy 20 years old ROBPI from MN (posting from sunny Seattle!)
Amy 28 years old ROBPI from MN
PeggyF

Post by PeggyF »

Hey everyone!

Long time, no post (I know.. sorry. Life is BUSY!)

Anyway, just got home a couple of hours ago from camp and it was wonderful!

It was soooooooo great to see old friends (some were missing, but we know it is not always possible for everyone to get somewhere at a certain time....)

Also, it was wonderful to meet new friends and to get to know some of the 'previously quitet and/or shy ones' better!
I'm kind of overtired at the moment (but not in a bad way--just in dire need of sleep ;)

I'll be able to to put things in better perspective after I get some ZZzzzzz's but I just wanted to let you all know that I had a great experience and I would really encourage you to attend the 2009 UBPN Camp.

Traci: Joe was so much more outspoken and outgoing; nice to see him again and be so comfortable talking with everyone. We are very proud of him--and of all of the people who are reaching out and embracing things within this community and their everyday encounters/endeavors!

I really think that I am too tired to make much sense... I'll post more at a more lucid time ;o)

Peggy
Son_of_Atenhouse

Post by Son_of_Atenhouse »

The parents and I got back a few hours ago. The camp was awesome, aside from the food and beds. It was wonderful to meet up with everyone yet again. It's unfortunate that it went by so fast! Heh, such is camp. I'm already looking forward to '09!

See everyone in Florida!
marieke
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI
no external rotation against gravity, can only go to 90 degree fwd flexion, no hand-to-mouth
1 surgery at age 14 (latissimus dorsi transfer). In 2004, at age 28 I was struck with Transverse Myelitis which paralyzed me from the chest down. I recovered movement to my right leg, but need a KAFO to walk on my left leg. I became an RN in 2008.

Post by marieke »

Camp was amazing! I am dead tired but so glad I went and wish that it was longer! Can't wait fro 2009! Florida here I come!
Marieke (31, LOBPI)

PICS : http://s19.photobucket.com/albums/b162/marieke2005/

Message was edited by: marieke
Marieke Dufresne RN
34, LOBPI
http://nurse-to-be08.blogspot.com
Carolyn J
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI. I am 77 yrs old and never had a name for my injuries until 2004 when I found UBPN at age 66.

My injuries are: LOBPI on upper body and Cerebrael Palsy on the lower left extremities. The only intervention I've had is a tendon transplant from my left leg to my left foot to enable flexing t age 24 in 1962. Before that, my foot would freeze without notice on the side when wearing heels AND I always did wear them at work "to fit in" I also stuttered until around age 18-19...just outgrew it...no therapy for it. Also suffered from very very low self esteem; severe Depression and Anxiety attacks started at menopause. I stuffed emotions and over-compensated in every thing I did to "fit in" and be "invisible". My injuries were Never addressed or talked about until age 66. I am a late bloomer!!!!!

I welcome any and all questions about "My Journey".
There is NO SUCH THING AS A DUMB QUESTION.
Sharing helps to Heal. HUGS do too.

Post by Carolyn J »

Thanks for my HUG, Traci! I got many at Camp. I hope you make Florida in 2009. I got a reaaaly biggg HUG from Joe for a greeting and also goodbye too as he was leaving for the airport yesterday... and I know and saw a whole gaggle of teens,Dads and "30 somethings" always hanging out with him. My Scott thinks he is super cool.

THe weather was great and rain didn't come until early today, after most of us were home.I , for 1, had one big lovefest with all our families. Watch for photos being posted, when every one catches up on sleep.
Go Karts and Mountain bike ride in the trails/foothills of Mt Rainier where a big hit with everyone.

Amy, Marieke, Ryan & Joe,Josh Aten(alot of Josh's) were fabulous role models for all BPI kids and reeealy helped parents "see" posibilities for a great future for our BPI kids.

You have alot to be proud of, Traci.

HUgs, back at 'cha!
Carolyn J
You
Carolyn J
Adult LOBPI
dmbeirne

Post by dmbeirne »

This was the best UBPN camp ever!!!!! Even though the iced tea could have been more than colored water. Meeting new people was a great experience and i cant wait until Flordia 2009
Tarakyn's mom

Post by Tarakyn's mom »

It was great to see so many friends! Tarakyn really bonded with some of the other kids, and that was great (even though little Conner was missed) Traci, Joe is an amazing kid..you should be very proud! I dont just consider him a friend, He's family!
Again it was great to see everyone. Camp did go by very fast. Cant wait until 2009. And I promise, Tarakyn and I will try harder to stay in touch with everyone
much love and hugs
Sheila & Tarakyn
Kath
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: I am ROBPI, global injury, Horner's Syndrome. No surgery but PT started at 2 weeks old under the direction of New York Hospital. I wore a brace 24/7 for the first 11 months of my life. I've never let my injury be used as an excuse not to do something. I've approach all things, in life, as a challenge. I approach anything new wondering if I can do it. I tried so many things I might never have tried, if I were not obpi. Being OBPI has made me strong, creative, more determined and persistent. I believe that being obpi has given me a very strong sense of humor and compassion for others.

Post by Kath »

I don't know what to add to all the comments on Joe.
Traci I missed you but Joe seems to have had a great time.
He was so great and I truly enjoyed being with him and all the great families.
The kids were great they were so funny comparing arms.
Heck... the adults compare arms why not them.
It was great to see them so confident and carefree.

I loved camp and am still on a high from all the laughing and hugs.
This was a great Camp experience...
Washington is a beautiful State and of course those who live there provided us with great weather.

It was wonderful!

Kath robpi/adult
Kath robpi/adult

Kathleen Mallozzi