BOOKED FLIGHTS AT LAST!!!

Discuss Camp UBPN
lizzyb

BOOKED FLIGHTS AT LAST!!!

Post by lizzyb »

FINALLY booked our flights for the UBPN camp!! :0)...and added few days after to be able to spend some time looking around a very small amount of the U.S of A.

We are coming in to Dulles airport and I've never been there before. Any info about it from anyone on here would be greatly appreciated.

Things like do you have to pay for luggage trolleys there? (got caught out in Hawaii with that one once..needed a dollar to ulock the d*mn things, and of course, I didn't have one!!)
Is the international terminal miles from the domestic one?
Are there any trains or other public transport available to get into the city? If there is, is it advisable to avoid it??? ;0)
Would hiring a car be better?
We're coming on the wednesday, landing about 3.30 p.m. so does anyone know of any good, reasonably priced hotels near the UBPN camp venue where we could stay that night?

Too many questions possibly, apologies for that...!

Anyway, looking forward to seeing everyone, 'speshally me two Yankee daughters!! ;0)

Lizzy B
PeggyF

Re: BOOKED FLIGHTS AT LAST!!!

Post by PeggyF »

Liz--YEAH!!!

As a matter of fact, Nancy has mapped the public transportation herself in D.C. and will soon have that information put together for everyone.
There is the "metro", similar to your tube (I'm guessing).
I'm not sure about the Dullus airport luggage trolly's. Karen might be able to answer that for you.

There will be all kinds of information, including metro, bus, cabs, etc. in the next mailing for camp.

Nancy and Karen can tell you more, but Karen is out for a few hours.

So glad you booked your flight! Can't wait to see you!! Please say "hi" to Neil.

PeggyF

Post by PeggyF »

Oh...I remeber our music conversation the last time we were together--not sure if you know who Graham Parker is, but we are going to see him tonight!! I LOVE him!!

Cheers!

Peggy
cbe411
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: MVA in 2001, nerve graph in 2002, Median Nerve Transfer in 2004 and an unsuccessful Gracillis Muscle Transfer in 2006. I am living life and loving it! Feel free to contact me :)

Post by cbe411 »

YEAH!!!! It will be great to see you again especiall because I cant make it over there this year! Amy unfortunitly will not be making it to camp! She has just gotten a new job that is nights and weekends and cant ask for time off!!! She did have a bit of a tough time but finally got one!!! I asked her aobut getting up there though sometime aorund then, just to visit, if you gys are around..... let me know...... I am flying into Dulles that day too but we get in around 215 so maybe i Will see you guys!! I Am staying at the camp that night.... we will work something out for you guys!!! I Am not sure how to get anywhere there so Iwill be playing it by ear too!! When Nancy gets back she will ehlp us out! The subways are GREAT out there.... I would say no need to hire a car.... see ya soon!!!

COurt :) / american daughter
PeggyF

Post by PeggyF »

Court...didn't you ride the metro last time ...for the night out??
You should be a pro at it!

I forgot to mention for Liz, also, that there is a name of a hotel near the camp--forgot it, but Nancy knows what it is! Sorry I'm not too terribly helpful, but know that there is, indeed, info to help you via Nancy and Karen.

Peggy
lizzyb

Post by lizzyb »

Cheers Peggy and Court! :0) I think I've found a cheapie hotel on the same road as the camp venue, so that should be okay, although I am ALWAYS open to suggestions from those who are more in the know..!

Anything I should bring with me do ya think?? Maybe something for the kids...hmmm...have to get thinking there...

Graham Parker, ay Peggy? Blimey, I didn't know he was still going! Nice one! We just recently saw the Austalian Pink Floyd and they were awesome..not the real thing, but pretty close...anyway, can't wait to catch up with ya again...better go...I've taken this waaay off topic!

Liz :0)
Mel4fitness

Post by Mel4fitness »

Glad you can make it! I know flights are quite expensive right now. Just an FYI- The metro is not close to that airport. I live in Washington, DC and know the area quite well. There might be a shuttle service to DC, if not, take a cab to the Vienna Metro(it's the orange line & the closest stop to the airport). Cab ride should cost approx. $20 USD but since the dollar stinks right now, that should be quite cheap for you ;-). If you have any questions, feel free to email me at tasosgirl1@aol.com I'm looking forward to meeting everyone!
Melanie
Karen McClune

Post by Karen McClune »

Hi Liz,

I know there is a bus that takes you from Dullas to National and then from there you can take the metro and bus to camp or your hotel. You will need to ask at the information desk in the airport. I tool one from National to Dullas one year when I went to stay with Ryan who lives near the Dullas airport.

I don't know anything about a luggage trolly cost.
Never had to use one.

Melanie suggestion are also very good.

Can't wait to meet you both.

Hugs, Karen

Carolyn J
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI. I am 77 yrs old and never had a name for my injuries until 2004 when I found UBPN at age 66.

My injuries are: LOBPI on upper body and Cerebrael Palsy on the lower left extremities. The only intervention I've had is a tendon transplant from my left leg to my left foot to enable flexing t age 24 in 1962. Before that, my foot would freeze without notice on the side when wearing heels AND I always did wear them at work "to fit in" I also stuttered until around age 18-19...just outgrew it...no therapy for it. Also suffered from very very low self esteem; severe Depression and Anxiety attacks started at menopause. I stuffed emotions and over-compensated in every thing I did to "fit in" and be "invisible". My injuries were Never addressed or talked about until age 66. I am a late bloomer!!!!!

I welcome any and all questions about "My Journey".
There is NO SUCH THING AS A DUMB QUESTION.
Sharing helps to Heal. HUGS do too.

Post by Carolyn J »

Traci and everyone,
I am sooo excited to meet & hug everyone too. I can't wait either! Wow,Traci, if you get to meet Sen. Obama please get me his autograph too; that'd be really awesome;he is one fab guy that I'm following very close.
Hugs,Carolyn J
Carolyn J
Adult LOBPI