Submit Awareness week to your local paper like this person did!

Tell us your Awareness efforts!
richinma2005
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Daughter Kailyn ROBPI, June 14, 1997.
Surgery with Dr Waters (BCH), April 1999 and in February 2012
2 more daughters, Julia (1999), Sarah(2002) born Cesarean.

Submit Awareness week to your local paper like this person did!

Post by richinma2005 »

http://www.cmonitor.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a ... /OPINION03

Source of hope and information
Amanda Wiggin, Belmont
Font size:
Print article
Letter to editor
Send and share

For the Monitor
October 01, 2008 - 12:00 am

A re you aware that there is a birth injury that affects more newborns than those born with Down syndrome and muscular dystrophy? Thousands of newborns are affected by brachial plexus injuries, traumatic injuries that may cause paralysis of one or both arms, each year. Availability of brachial plexus statistics vary widely, but where figures are available the general consensus is that brachial plexus injuries occur in 2-5 out of 1,000 births.

The brachial plexus injury community is recognizing Annual Brachial Plexus Injury Awareness Week Oct. 19-26. A brachial plexus injury is the result of an injury to the nerves in the neck that make the shoulder, arm and hand functional. The resulting paralyses differs according to the severity of the injury.

Many times, families with members who have been inflicted with this injury are unaware of the treatments available to them, either through misinformation or lack of awareness. Those of us in the local community of individuals and families affected by brachial plexus injuries hope that we can provide a source of information and hope to those who seek treatment.

For more information, call the United Brachial Plexus Network Inc. at 866-877-7004 or go to ubpn.org.

AMANDA WIGGIN

Belmont
JamieMarie'smommie

Re: Submit Awareness week to your local paper like this person did!

Post by JamieMarie'smommie »

Rich,
I was just getting ready to post this for everyone also. I also wanted to let everyone know that Oct. 17th I'll be meeting with the gov. of New Hampshire to receive the proclamation for BPI awareness week.

Amanda

Message was edited by: JamieMarie'smommie
Carolyn J
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI. I am 77 yrs old and never had a name for my injuries until 2004 when I found UBPN at age 66.

My injuries are: LOBPI on upper body and Cerebrael Palsy on the lower left extremities. The only intervention I've had is a tendon transplant from my left leg to my left foot to enable flexing t age 24 in 1962. Before that, my foot would freeze without notice on the side when wearing heels AND I always did wear them at work "to fit in" I also stuttered until around age 18-19...just outgrew it...no therapy for it. Also suffered from very very low self esteem; severe Depression and Anxiety attacks started at menopause. I stuffed emotions and over-compensated in every thing I did to "fit in" and be "invisible". My injuries were Never addressed or talked about until age 66. I am a late bloomer!!!!!

I welcome any and all questions about "My Journey".
There is NO SUCH THING AS A DUMB QUESTION.
Sharing helps to Heal. HUGS do too.

Post by Carolyn J »

Amanda,
Great going! Please post pictures of you, Jamie & the NH Governorsomewhere for us to see.

Hugs,
Carolyn J
Carolyn J
Adult LOBPI
JamieMarie'smommie

Post by JamieMarie'smommie »

I definetly will.

Amanda