Awareness week

Tell us your Awareness efforts!
hope16_05
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: 28 years old with a right obstetrical brachial plexus injury. 5 surgeries to date with pretty decent results. Last surgery resolved years of pain in my right arm however, I am beginning my journey with overuse in my left arm

Awareness week

Post by hope16_05 »

Awareness week is quickly approaching starting October 19th and running through October 25th.

This year, I would like to take suggestions as to what everyone would like to see happen during awareness week.

Two things we have come up with so far are writing to your local papers, letters to the editors, writing local and state political figures...
And the other is a reach out to your community event. Some people have chosen to do a walk/run for awareness to reach out to the community. You could also invite neighbors over and teach them about brachial plexus injuries.

I would like at least 7 ideas so we have one for every day. I have listed two so far so your help to come up with 5 more would be greatly appreciated! Lets get awareness out there and stop this injury!

Thank you for your help!
Amy
UBPN BOD Awareness Committee Chair
Amy 28 years old ROBPI from MN
PeggyF

Re: Awareness week

Post by PeggyF »

Something that has been done before, but would still be great, would be to address a school class. Class time could be given if preparations are made in advance with a teacher/professor.

Distribution of UBPN brochures to local medical facilities could also be beneficial.
mamaofsix
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Second son, Cameron, left obstetric brachial plexus injury in 2005.
Primary never graft surgery at 3 months old at St. Louis Children's Hospital
and several rounds of Botox injections.

Post by mamaofsix »

I think that having a BPI Awareness Luncheon/Dinner or even Breakfast would do great with spreading the awareness. It could be a freebie with family/friends providing the food and taking up donations to benefit UBPN. There can be a silent auction and a small program with prevention brochures given to everyone.

Also possibly sending out an awareness email during that week. I plan on sending my son's awareness video out to all of my contacts with information also on prevention and asking them to forward it to all of their contacts.

We are having a large picnic the week before (Oct. 11) which is taking a lot of preparation, so our family and friends will probably have a small walk during awareness week.
bensmom

Post by bensmom »

This is really small, and doesn't warrant a whole day, but I'm sure lots of people here are on various other message boards and other internet networking sites...what about an awareness week avatar that people could upload, a "Flair" pin that could be sent around on Facebook etc. I'm not very tech savy, but imagine someone could figure it out with better skills than me.
Carolyn J
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI. I am 77 yrs old and never had a name for my injuries until 2004 when I found UBPN at age 66.

My injuries are: LOBPI on upper body and Cerebrael Palsy on the lower left extremities. The only intervention I've had is a tendon transplant from my left leg to my left foot to enable flexing t age 24 in 1962. Before that, my foot would freeze without notice on the side when wearing heels AND I always did wear them at work "to fit in" I also stuttered until around age 18-19...just outgrew it...no therapy for it. Also suffered from very very low self esteem; severe Depression and Anxiety attacks started at menopause. I stuffed emotions and over-compensated in every thing I did to "fit in" and be "invisible". My injuries were Never addressed or talked about until age 66. I am a late bloomer!!!!!

I welcome any and all questions about "My Journey".
There is NO SUCH THING AS A DUMB QUESTION.
Sharing helps to Heal. HUGS do too.

Post by Carolyn J »

Dear Mamaoftwo,
I would like to send out your video to my "email list" DURING Oct's Awareness Week if it's okay with you.

I also need for you to tell me where to find it on these Boards...I've totaly forgotten where to find it.
Please help!

I am also sending emails to our Governor and my State Legislators( WA State).

Thanks a Bunch.
HUGS,
Carolyn J
LOBPI adult [sometimes ;)]

Message was edited by: Carolyn J
Carolyn J
Adult LOBPI
mamaofsix
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Second son, Cameron, left obstetric brachial plexus injury in 2005.
Primary never graft surgery at 3 months old at St. Louis Children's Hospital
and several rounds of Botox injections.

Post by mamaofsix »

Carolyn,

Please share it! Here is the You Tube link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opoMJT3hzJE and you can also find it by typing Camerons Smile in the search section here on the boards.

I am patiently awaiting response from our Governor's Office. They said they will contact me before the end of this month.

Thanks!
PeggyF

Post by PeggyF »

Carolyn,

I've also sent letters and a proclamation request in for WA State :)

Peggy
Carolyn J
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI. I am 77 yrs old and never had a name for my injuries until 2004 when I found UBPN at age 66.

My injuries are: LOBPI on upper body and Cerebrael Palsy on the lower left extremities. The only intervention I've had is a tendon transplant from my left leg to my left foot to enable flexing t age 24 in 1962. Before that, my foot would freeze without notice on the side when wearing heels AND I always did wear them at work "to fit in" I also stuttered until around age 18-19...just outgrew it...no therapy for it. Also suffered from very very low self esteem; severe Depression and Anxiety attacks started at menopause. I stuffed emotions and over-compensated in every thing I did to "fit in" and be "invisible". My injuries were Never addressed or talked about until age 66. I am a late bloomer!!!!!

I welcome any and all questions about "My Journey".
There is NO SUCH THING AS A DUMB QUESTION.
Sharing helps to Heal. HUGS do too.

Post by Carolyn J »

Peggy,
That's GOOD!! The More the better! :)

Mamaoftwo,
THANKS a BUnch!! :)

HUgs,
Carolyn J
Carolyn J
Adult LOBPI