Borrowed this idea...

Tell us your Awareness efforts!
KimW
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: My daughter has a right obstetrical injury. She is 16.
Two surgeries include nerve graft and muscle release.
A great kid that plays soccer, rides horses, plays the piano
and clarinet.

Borrowed this idea...

Post by KimW »

Distribute information pamphlets or flyers to prenatal birth class groups. I think this is a stupendous idea if you can get the permission of the group leader. You can download prevention brochures to print here on the UBPN web site.
Kim West
"Children are likely to live up to what you believe of them." Lady Bird Johnson
F-Litz
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI, LTBPI at age 6.5, Sensory Issues, CP, Diaphragm Weakness, Aspberger's

Re: Borrowed this idea...

Post by F-Litz »

teachers in my area were never agreeable to this - they told me that information like this could potentially lose their referral source - THE DOCTORS!

so before you go printing up thousands of the brochures - see if they are willing to do this first

PeggyF

Post by PeggyF »

It's been my experience that if you ask nicely that they keep the brochures, they will. The won't necessarily display them, but at least the medical "professionals" will have them in hand. It can't hurt to try!
KimW
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: My daughter has a right obstetrical injury. She is 16.
Two surgeries include nerve graft and muscle release.
A great kid that plays soccer, rides horses, plays the piano
and clarinet.

Post by KimW »

Maybe it isn't even about having them hand out brochures but just making sure they are aware themselves of the warning signs. For instance, if someone comes into their last birthing class and says their last ultrasound had the baby weighing in at 9.5 pounds (like mine!) then they might suggest they discuss shoulder dystocia with their doc.
Kim West
"Children are likely to live up to what you believe of them." Lady Bird Johnson
ptrefam

Post by ptrefam »

I had wondered about this too. Wonder what would happen if you took copies of Outlook to drs offices and asked to leave one (or just forgot yours there).
Sue
bellasnana

Post by bellasnana »

Would it be OK or "legal" to put brochures on cars (under wipers) in the OB-Docs office patient parking lot?
bellasnana

Post by bellasnana »

I recently got the OK to take awareness brochures to local birthing class,YEAH!!
Also, I will have free booth at local school health fair March 31st, which I will have display board and hand out as many brochures as possible!!
richinma2005
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Daughter Kailyn ROBPI, June 14, 1997.
Surgery with Dr Waters (BCH), April 1999 and in February 2012
2 more daughters, Julia (1999), Sarah(2002) born Cesarean.

Post by richinma2005 »

Bellasnana,

Make sure you take some pictures of the healthfair, maybe we could feature them in a future outreach

rich