Awareness Week

Send suggestions to the UBPN or find answers to your questions about the boards.
Ginne

Awareness Week

Post by Ginne »

Just out of curiosity, but is there an information package available to submit to local newspapers. I mean WE'RE all aware of BPI, however unless it is publicized in print most people will continue to live in ignorance. I have access to 5 local papers in my region in Ontario, Canada along with 3 major (nationwide) newspapers that will run "human intrest" stories.

If you have something pre-made for the media...great!!! If not, can anyone give me tips on how to write/create an info package?????????

Thanks
Ginne
jennyb
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: January 1980 Yamaha RD200 vs 16 wheeler truck, result, 1 totally paralysed right arm. I was 21, now 54. I had no surgery, I don't regret this. Decided to totally ignore limitations (easily done aged 21) adapted very quickly to one handed life, got married, had 3 kids, worked- the effect of the injury on my life (once the pain stopped being constant) was minimal and now, aged 54, I very rarely even think of it, unless I bash it or it gets cold, then I wish I'd had it amputated :) Except for a steering knob on my car, I have no adaptations to help with life, mainly because I honestly don't think of myself as disabled and the only thing I can't do is peel potatoes, which is definitely a good thing.

Re: Awareness Week

Post by jennyb »

Check this page Ginne, it's from the Awareness part of the site which can be reached from the Home page. http://ubpn.org/awareness/A2002linkcommunity.html#3 There is some useful stuff here for the media. Let us know how you go!
Jen NZ
jennyb
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: January 1980 Yamaha RD200 vs 16 wheeler truck, result, 1 totally paralysed right arm. I was 21, now 54. I had no surgery, I don't regret this. Decided to totally ignore limitations (easily done aged 21) adapted very quickly to one handed life, got married, had 3 kids, worked- the effect of the injury on my life (once the pain stopped being constant) was minimal and now, aged 54, I very rarely even think of it, unless I bash it or it gets cold, then I wish I'd had it amputated :) Except for a steering knob on my car, I have no adaptations to help with life, mainly because I honestly don't think of myself as disabled and the only thing I can't do is peel potatoes, which is definitely a good thing.

Re: Awareness Week

Post by jennyb »

For some reason I can't link to the page directly, it's available thrugh the Awareness section reachable from the home page, and the media part is in the Awareness Handbook under 'Community'
Hope that helps :0)